Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
chans formers
raff ow roud
cosmic dust???

quick question for the members,do any of you have robot heroes 2 packs,specifically the first few waves still "mosc"??if yes,take a closer look at them and tell me if i'm alone or not.

i finally decided to start cracking them all open(plastic prison's are never good)and to my dismay,they were all covered in some kind of water resistant dust.the weird part is that they were completely factory sealed still,no holes or creases or anything/damage to the box to let in dust,yet somehow it's still in there with them,even being mosc.the dust itself is pretty thick,and just rinsing them with water won't do it as the water just beads off of it.i soaked shockwave in a cup of water for 10-15 min and when i pulled him out,it was like the dust never touched water.but then the minute i scrubbed them down with sunlight dishsoap and a toothbrush,it was gone......talk about "ick" factor.

this is r/h g1 roddy fresh from the blister pack

mirage and screamer still mosc.see the cosmic dust?(ewwww!)

opened,but still in blister

before cleaning

after cleaning

grim's n shocky,still mosc(again...."ick")
looks like shockwave got it worse.

this pic is after i cleaned and "brushed" only half of each bot with dishsoap.keep in mind they were both dipped in water,had half of each scrubbed,then completely rinsed,yet the unscrubbed part still looks dry and dusty.

after full cleaning

has anyone else experienced this?to get a few notes out of the way....
  1. i don't smoke in the house,let alone my collection room so that can't be the cause
  2. it's not too humid or dry in the basement.
  3. none of the robot heroes i opened today were ever opened before today.
  4. it only seems to be happening to the robot heroes "2pac" sets.i have the walmart and tru 5 pack exclusive sets,but none of them show this cosmic rust.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: cosmic dust???

Weirrrrrrrrd .... wonder if it's something along the line that happens to pretender shells over time getting oily and all...something in the plastic being released.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

I think it was something during the production run...maybe the toys got dusty before packaging?

I've seen a bunch of Robot Heroes that didn't have dust...maybe it was the batch(es) you got man.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Protoman
The Legend

Checked my MOC Rodi/Insecticon. Nothing like that. Let me ask you Chans were they exposed to direct sunlight or maybe stored in a hot steamy area (Boiler room?)
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

it looks like stuff coming from plastic. We have plastic at work that leaves a "poopy" looking residue on the molds.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

Some one at the factory just didn't properly remove the mold release agent or they used WAY too much or both. working with vinyl for molding can be tricky for mass production because the materials that will stand up to extreme use for molds will have the casting agent adhere to the details causing loss of production so they may have over done it.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Delta Star
Generation 1

Wouldn't they be painted after being molded? Seems like the dust is there over the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist Prime View Post
Some one at the factory just didn't properly remove the mold release agent or they used WAY too much or both. working with vinyl for molding can be tricky for mass production because the materials that will stand up to extreme use for molds will have the casting agent adhere to the details causing loss of production so they may have over done it.
Delta Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

Doesn't it remind you of what chocolate looks like after a while?
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

^^ good point! I didn't notice that, The largest amount of color is usually the color they are cast in and I just figured with a quick glance that it wasn't everywhere.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
I think it was something during the production run...maybe the toys got dusty before packaging?

I've seen a bunch of Robot Heroes that didn't have dust...maybe it was the batch(es) you got man.
the wierd part is that when i first purchased them a while back,not one of them had this "dust".(i'm pretty picky when i go through the pegs,always picking the ones with the best paint work and least amount of flaws)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Checked my MOC Rodi/Insecticon. Nothing like that. Let me ask you Chans were they exposed to direct sunlight or maybe stored in a hot steamy area (Boiler room?)
these bots have never been exposed to sunlight or a boiler room or anything like that.i basically bought them then hung them on the wall with push pins till today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmick01 View Post
it looks like stuff coming from plastic. We have plastic at work that leaves a "poopy" looking residue on the molds.
maybe?
Quote:
like i said though,when i first purchased these guys a while back,they were in pristine condition and shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Star View Post
Wouldn't they be painted after being molded? Seems like the dust is there over the paint.
it is......it's everywhere on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmick01 View Post
Doesn't it remind you of what chocolate looks like after a while?
stop making me hungry
Quote:
^^ good point! I didn't notice that, The largest amount of color is usually the color they are cast in and I just figured with a quick glance that it wasn't everywhere.
now here's another i just dug up.these three bots were sealed with scotch tape into a ferrero rochet box,pretty much making it "airtight".yet they also exibit the same "dusting".i did the exact same thing with alot of takara scf and hasbro heroes of cybertron figs,yet not one of those show this "dusting".even some pvc's and scf's that weren't inside of a ferrero rochet container,but just infront of this one containing these three bots on the shelf have little to no dust on them.....and they weren't in a sealed container.
call me perplexed

could it be because of a certain kind of pvc vinyl used on just the robot heroes?like i said,none of the scf's or hoc's have this happening to them.

Tags
cosmic dust