Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #21
justprime
Animated
Re: cosmic dust???

this is the mold release agent it will clean off with a good soapy, warm water solution and yes even after painting it will slowly release and go dusty spreading through out the package ( dusty dry package, gooie, oily if damp or over applied ) over time dont forget these have sat in a wearhouse for some time before heading for retail outlets. this should have been picked up by quality control.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
sarmick01
Canadian Slag

It could also be the kind of plastic used. The stuff used nowadays is nothing like the stuff used years ago.
sarmick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
Delta Star
Generation 1

Considering it wasn't like this when you bought them, and it's not temperature related, then the only thing left to consider is a batch problem.

Is it possible they all came from the same group of cases? Did you get them from the same place at the same time?

Maybe... maybe that case sat around on a very hot day, the pvc started to sweat, and it took until now for the sweat to dry out ond turn to dust?
Delta Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
this is the mold release agent it will clean off with a good soapy, warm water solution and yes even after painting it will slowly release and go dusty spreading through out the package ( dusty dry package, gooie, oily if damp or over applied ) over time dont forget these have sat in a wearhouse for some time before heading for retail outlets. this should have been picked up by quality control.
Ya but they were pristine when chans picked them up

So it's a delayed action thing. Very strange!

My guess is that these guys ae solwly desolving over time into a fine powder, what you are scrubbing of is like a layer of 'dead skin'. It probably has to do with the type of paint used? This would account for really having to scrub it to get it off

Also could have to do with a lack of oxygen? Or maybe the PVC releases a type of gas over time that desolves the paint, and only sealed ones are being affected because they are trapped in the package with the gas.

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime

Last edited by Richter; 04-04-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #25
Da_Blinks
Machine War

did some searching and this is what I found.

"PVC is one of the most common plastics used in the world. It’s quite similar to rubber and the toughness/malleability of PVC is dependant on the plastisers added. More plastisers = more softness, since they straighten out neatly the long macromolecular polymer chains into neat rows. Some figure collectors complain of an oily film after a while and I would think this is due to the plasticisers migrating to the surface of the plastic. Small plasticiser molecules are pretty mobile and after a period of time, they accumulate on the surface to produce a oily crud."

Taking from http://www.riuva.com/?p=301

*edit*
found some care tips for pvc figures

I have 10 years old PVC figure and it still like new. No cracking or discolorized.

Here is the simple list of how to taken care of your PVC figure:

1) Keep it on cool temperature. (Hot temperature will cause your pvc to produced oil and it will easily crack in the future). Why it will produced oil? What is that? Read above!!.

2) DONT EVER PUT YOUR PVC DIRECTLY TO SUNLIGHT. Dont put them near strong light that produced heat wave, e.g halogen lamp and filament bulb.

3) Once every few months, put your figure inside freezer for about 20 minutes (Not too long).

4) If by any chance your figure starting to produced oil (Because of heat), put your figure to freezer for 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

5) Use blower to clean your figure. Personally, I use hair drier to blow all the dust (!!!!! REMEMBER TO SET THE HAIR DRIER TO BLOW COOL AIR, NOT THE HOT AIR). If you rich, use dust remover that used to clean up computer part or other electronic stuff.

6) Do not clean your figure with chemical liquid. No warm water as well. If possible avoid water; only use small amount water to clean very dirty part of your figure.

7) If you have a hard time to remove the figure from the stand (most of them are made of plastic), do not use force. Just put the figure inside the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes. It is because plastic will shrink and expand more then PVC, coldcast, etc..

8) If you have more then 1 figure stand close to each other, please make sure dont let them to touch each other. After long time, it will leave a mark ont he other figure.

9) (THIS IS NOT TOO IMPORTANT. IT ONLY HAPPEN WHEN THE FIGURE USED CHEAP PAINT. Famous brand such as Max Factory, kaiyodo, alter, good smil company, etc.. will used good paint) Try to put a plastic to every joint that removeable to avoid direct contact that will leave a mark after a long time. Do you know the reason, why manufacture always put a plastic bettwen the joint that removeable when you bought a new figure? It is because when they touch each other, after long time, it will leave a paint mark.

10) This is for PVC figure Only.
AVOID puting heavy object e.g. weapon, items, etc.. on your figure hands. It is because PVC will bend over time. For more info about this or how to fix this, go to http://www.happysoda.com/archives/142 (deadlink)

Found at http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.p...ure-must-read/

Last edited by Da_Blinks; 04-04-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Da_Blinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #26
Delta Star
Generation 1

"Crud" is the technical term, of course
Delta Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #27
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Anthrax?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #28
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Star View Post
"Crud" is the technical term, of course
lolz!!

@da_blinks=
i think that article is talking about the kind of pvc that was used in the g1 pretender shells.i know about that kind and the spotting/greasing effects etc.but the article doesn't mention anything about them generating or attracting "dust" somehow.the dust that's coating these r/h's is thick but not greasy.once they've been cleaned,there's no cracking or discoloring.

@richter=
i don't think it's because they were still sealed in package.i have a r/h g1 ravge side by side with a g1 megs,both opened and in the same display case.ravage is now coated to the point where it looks like i painted him grey,yet g1 megs right beside him barely has any dust on him.
both loose,same case/display,same temperature,same lighting,etc. if anything,megs has been in the case longer than ravage was.

this cosmic "dusting" is only happening to my robot heroes,not to my g1 pretenders,takara scf's,heroes of cybertron,or even my myclones.
even then,it seems to only be affecting the 2pac sets,not the 5 pack exclusive sets.it also seems to not matter whether it's mosc or loose
Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #29
Da_Blinks
Machine War

that was only thing I could find.

Only thing I could think of they may of used some type of clear coat that they shouldn't
Da_Blinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #30
Richter
Nexus Maximus

Sounds like from your link its the plasticiser molecules coming to the surface

Current Wants:
  • Horsey Prime
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosmic dust