Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy
Toy size

Transformers can come in different sizes, whether it's Deluxe, Voyager, Legend, Leader or Titans. I think it would have been better, if they did this from the start, because some figures were supposed to bigger instead of their actual size.

Like for example:

The leaders of both fanctions, Ultra Magnus: MP size
Triple Changers, Jetfire/Skyfire: Voyager size
Combiners: Leader Class
City Bots, Omega Supreme, Phase Sixers: Titan Class
Minibots, Mini-cassette, Minicons: Deluxe size
Carbots, Seekers and the rest of the bunch: Voyager Size
Old 02-01-2017, 03:08 AM   #2
pandaprime
aficionado!
Re: Toy size

"from the start"?

do you mean G1? some figures had die-cast parts so that must have factored into size decisions.

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:22 AM   #3
Ironwave
Seek and Destroy

What I mean, is when Masterpiece's, CHUGS first came out. Not the G1 toys
Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Hoffman
Generation 1

Lines change, company priorities change, design teams change, budgets change.

Some characters are popular so they want to sell more than one "version", every size class needs a-list characters to drive it.

There are numerous reasons why there can't just be consistent sizing of characters.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
BludChylde
Generation 2

Deluxe for carbots/seekers/etc is just fine. As the whole line stands for the most part the current sizing scheme is fine. Besides if we had to pay voyager prices for characters like Blurr or Scourge, that may finally the thing that warrants "Hasbro is killing teh line!!!"

Jetfire as the same size as the carbots makes no sense to me since in the cartoon he was taller than Optimus Prime. And I'm confused on your stance on combiners. Do you want leader size combiners or leader size limbs?
BludChylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Marcotron
Robot Master

The MP-01 Optimus was supposed to scale with the Alternators. Now all the MP cars scale with the MP-10 Optimus. To see the difference in scale, put an Alternator next to an MP car.

The other thing to consider is the cost of plastic (ie. oil), which drives up prices while making the figures smaller.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

There is also the problem of robot sizing vs vehicle sizing.

You could have vehicle modes be in scale with each other, and robot modes look way off, or vice versa.

Let's take Brawn as an example. He's a Jeep, and should therefore have a vehicle size the same as, or similar to Hound. But Hound is a "normal" size robot and Brawn is a small sized robot.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
optimusb39
Animated

Just put them all on a really deep shelf ams asjuat thwm forwards or back till they all match up scale wise on perspective!
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BludChylde View Post
Deluxe for carbots/seekers/etc is just fine. As the whole line stands for the most part the current sizing scheme is fine. Besides if we had to pay voyager prices for characters like Blurr or Scourge, that may finally the thing that warrants "Hasbro is killing teh line!!!"

Jetfire as the same size as the carbots makes no sense to me since in the cartoon he was taller than Optimus Prime. And I'm confused on your stance on combiners. Do you want leader size combiners or leader size limbs?
Not gonna lie, a combiner with Leader class limbs would be absurdly big, but very cool nonetheless.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
Lines change, company priorities change, design teams change, budgets change.

Some characters are popular so they want to sell more than one "version", every size class needs a-list characters to drive it.

There are numerous reasons why there can't just be consistent sizing of characters.
These are terrific points. Scale is very subjective. It depends what works for a collector. I totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
There is also the problem of robot sizing vs vehicle sizing.

You could have vehicle modes be in scale with each other, and robot modes look way off, or vice versa.

Let's take Brawn as an example. He's a Jeep, and should therefore have a vehicle size the same as, or similar to Hound. But Hound is a "normal" size robot and Brawn is a small sized robot.
Ohhh, there is an age old debate there, scale cars or bots? We have all struggled with this.

I did a video ages ago discussing scale. To be fair, it focuses on CHUG and robot mode. There are "benchmarks" though, I think. We are limited sometimes by taking what we get. I figure faction leaders- Prime and Megs work best as voyagers, a bit bigger than most but not huge. Sky fire as a Leader class seems logical, a bit bigger than most bots but not as big as say a Combiner. These things help because, say, Starscream shouldn't be as big as Megs or Skyfire. I addressed everything from Titans down to, as the time, Scoops target masters, but you get the idea. Use logic to adjust for sizes as they work best in your mind.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote