Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.
Another year another dollar. What's your toy plan for 2022?

Lots of things happened this year with releases, prices, exclusives, coneheads, etc..... What's your take away from 2021 when regarding your toy buying? Did your toy buying habits/goals change? Will it change how you purchase in 2022?

For added fun here is a 2022 leak list that is accurate so far.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threa...ition.1220748/

Are you looking to buy tons if these releases happen? As is I'm looking at $650 spent on TF if it is accurate.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Eliminator
Generation 1
Re: Another year another dollar. What's your toy plan for 2022?

I'm looking forward to adding a Menasor to my collection. Wonder if they will do a special edition 'gift pack' with them all together?

Other that that, I have a pre-order in for Black Zarak and interested to see how the Cybertron Metroplex looks.

Also looking forward to the continuation of the SS86 Dinobots. All signs indicate Sludge is next.

Last edited by Eliminator; 12-04-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

While there are a few TFs on the horizon I’m stoked for, Hasbro effectively cut themselves out of my priority collectibles. I can’t justify their raising the MSRP on their figures every few months anymore. The tail end of 2021 saw more and more of my hobby money going to Mattel (Jurassic Park Amber Collection and the various He-Man lines), McFarlane (DC Multiverse), and LEGO. I feel like the price increases from those companies have been less gouge-y and their distribution (except for the MOTU Origins line) is far less janky than Hasbro, who is straight up defining failure with how they’ve been handling Star Wars Black Series and Power Rangers Lightning Collection. I’ll always have a few TFs, SW, and Rangers on my wants list, but not nearly what it was in previous years. (Ditto with Marvel Legends, which I feel like Hasbro has beat into the ground at this point.)
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Ill add my 2 cents.

I typically make a purchase list for the year and update as I go. This year I started adding the amount spent with monthly totals. I hate how much was spent this year. Price increases really added up too.

Recognizing that, I decided I would trim my TF collection to on-screen Sunbow and Headmasters only. This had me sell lots of my old collection which is great as those funds cover more than half my purchases next year. I was quick to get rid of my old Menasor as well, it looks like shit, any improvement would be great.

I was collecting Star Wars Black but that IP as a whole has become something I mostly dislike. Sold the majority of that collection with fewer than 25 as my keepers. Glad to not look back on this line. Just a mess of a shit show.

GI Joe classified, I'm mostly all in on it. I can pass on exclusives and repaints of army builders like Python Patrol or even the Zartan exclusive. I Already got 23 figures preordered and paid for for next year. This line is fun to acquire but crap to hunt down or wait for.

I also started and completed a Marvel Legends symbiote collection this year, love it. Being such a niche collection I am eager to add to it with future releases like the expected Knull release. It's nice to have a collection that will only add a few new figures at most per year.

Overall I want to spend less and I think that will be easy to achieve for next year. Would be nice if I collected outside of Hasbro tho, they annoy the heck out of me when concerning how they do things.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
neevnav
Masterpiece

I'll be sticking with Studio Series and 3P and whichever MPM is revealed this year. The BB Movie SS figures that have been revealed are awesome IMO. I didn't really have any interest in them when they leaked, but seeing them and the reviews, they are must buys for me now.

For 3P, I pickup figures that scale closely with the MPM line. So far for next year it's only Unique Toys DotM Megatron, but we'll see what else gets announced.

And it sounds like the rumour for next year's MPM is Blackout. We'll see how it compares to WJ Hide Shadow, which is my current MPM Blackout.

Quote:
I was collecting Star Wars Black but that IP as a whole has become something I mostly dislike. Sold the majority of that collection with fewer than 25 as my keepers. Glad to not look back on this line. Just a mess of a shit show.
I only just got into Black Series last year, and I can see where the frustration comes from. The constantly chasing exclusives is exhausting. Thankfully I've been pretty disciplined with what I've been collecting (Rebels, Bad Batch and some Mando and CW) so it hasn't been that bad.

Other then that, I also started on the Jurassic Park Amber Collection last year, and I love it. Thankfully it's only a few releases a year, so it's not wallet breaking.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
ManitobaMando
Generation 2

It will be, for me, pick and choose, meaning I do not need same named characters with different looks, and if that list is anything to go by, it will be the characters that are not in the "prime time" usual listing that I might be interested in. Price is going to be a deal breaker now, as Hasbro has now priced themselves out of my budget.

I wont be doing local retail any longer, and will look more towards online stores, doing large enough orders to save on the shipping. So If I am only spending say, $115 per order every few months, Ill be ahead of the game, and still happy enough to continue to add to the current roster.
ManitobaMando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #7
Kinetic Bucket
Heretic Monkey

It will be interesting. The Studio Series and WFC line got be back into collecting after a long time (Last line I collected was Animated). I really enjoyed the lines, but the whole issue with the exclusives really started souring things for me.

There are a few I am eyeing up in the Legacy line (Mainly from the Sunbow era with the occasional other one that I had growing up) but I want to see what they look like in person before I make a decision.
Kinetic Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #8
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Really don't collect much TF's anymore. Mostly due to higher costs, lack of higher demand product on store shelves, basically same characters produced, smaller figures from previous year yet same class etc. I've switched my collecting habits instead to select Mcfarlane DC figures, diecast & hockey cards. Their somewhat more affordable & quite a bit easier to obtain.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Mp and 3P MP scale only with the exception of Slammer
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #10
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Sticking solely to Transformers from here on out (I may get some of the Power Rangers Lightning Collection stuff too). The other lines have been getting fairly boring for me and I've been selling off a lot of figures. Transformers is the only franchise that's been constantly holding my interest.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote