Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
To scale a Titan...

For a long while I've been trying to get in my head the fictional height of Generations Metroplex (and Titans Return Fortress Maximus).

Yes, I know that scale is not a concrete thing, but It'd be nice to know if he's truly city sized or more like a village.

Note: there will be much fudging.

Rather than look at stickers or doors or details, I decided on an unorthodox approach.

Enter Titans Return Aerialbots (Broadside's accessories).

These little planes look like they'd be "in scale" with Metroplex, based on the runway size compared to Broadside's aircraft carrier mode.

- Silverbolt is a fictional plane resembling a concord, and doesn't exactly in scale with the smaller jets, so I'll skip that one.

- Skydive is a mix of F16 and F18, so I can't get a definite scale on that guy.

- Firefly/Fireflight is a modified Harrier Jump-Jet, I don't know exactly how modified he is, so I'd rather not use him.

- Quickslinger/Slingshot is a repaint of Firefly, so he's out too.

- Air Raid is an F14 Tomcat (A, I think?), so I can use him!

Air Raid's plane is about 13.1 mm long, give or take the accuracy of my micrometer and variances in casting.

The real F-14 Tomcat is 19100.8 mm long.

This makes the scale of Air Raid's plane roughly 1:14580.76

Now let's take a look at Metroplex and Fortress Maximus.

Metroplex:
========
Metroplex's package lists him as 24 inches tall, which converts to 609.6 mm

Enter that into the ratio and we get: 888843.33 mm or 888.843 meters tall.

"Big Red" is 314.8 meters long with a barrel diameter of 9.1 meters.

His eye ball would be roughly 4.5 meters wide (just guessing, I would think maybe 2 meters would be more in line with Scourge being able to steal them).

Fortress Maximus:
=============
Fortress Maximus's package lists him as 22 inches tall, which converts to 558.8 mm

Enter that into the ratio and we get: 814773.06 mm or 814.773 meters tall.

The master sword would be 560.16 meters long. Holy crap that's a big sword.

TL;DR: Through fudging, Metroplex is 888.8 meters tall, Fortress Maximus is 814.8 meters tall. (Does not apply to Scamper, Cerebros, or Emissary.)

While not as big as a human city, they are still formidable bases of operations.

Last edited by Shepp; 04-05-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
xueyue2
Canadian Slag
Re: To scale a Titan...

nice, I didn't know Metroplex is taller than Fort.
CN tower is 457 meters, so they are both almost double the height of CN tower....

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

So Fruitloop Multipuck is a bit shorter than the Burj Khalifa. Definitely not city-sized...
Old 04-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Mikformer
Machine War

From what i can tell about the titans return lineup so far, as compared to the previous lineups.

the Titan Masters (headrobots) approximate size of previous deluxes transformers, and then scaled with the rest of titans deluxes and leader classes.

You can tell this by the size of the "human" doors and windows on the larger vehicles. Such as leader optimus prime and voyager astrotrain.

So the titans returns vehicles are the size of buildings and mountains and battleships (broadside).

Why did they do this? I have no idea. looking at the Ginrai powermaster prime, the cab is completely out of proportion with the rest of the trailer pieces, Astrotrain is 100x larger than a normal space shuttle and the rest of them are not in scale with the cartoons.
Mikformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikformer View Post
From what i can tell about the titans return lineup so far, as compared to the previous lineups.

the Titan Masters (headrobots) approximate size of previous deluxes transformers, and then scaled with the rest of titans deluxes and leader classes.

You can tell this by the size of the "human" doors and windows on the larger vehicles. Such as leader optimus prime and voyager astrotrain.

So the titans returns vehicles are the size of buildings and mountains and battleships (broadside).

Why did they do this? I have no idea. looking at the Ginrai powermaster prime, the cab is completely out of proportion with the rest of the trailer pieces, Astrotrain is 100x larger than a normal space shuttle and the rest of them are not in scale with the cartoons.
Yeah, scale is funny. CW Devastator/Constructicons do scale with the doors and stuff on Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime.

Anyways, the point was that the Titans are really huge. And this 800 m height seems to jive with their IDW robot modes (in some instances).

In the case of Broadside, his aircraft carrier mode is more or less in scale with the Titans, but that's due to his mass shifting from Blunderbus. And also if you use this method of fudging.

The rest of the Titans Returns, Generations, Combiner Wars, etc. figures are just different scales when compared to the little vehicle accessories that come with Broadside.

A big reason I wanted to do this was to possibly 3d print some vehicle modes of other figures that would be "in scale" with Metroplex and Fortress Maximus. With the little airplanes, now I just have a scale to work with. Combiner Wars Optimus Prime would be about 10-12 mm long.

edit: I should do the math and find out how big Metroplex and Fortress Maximus would have to be in order to be in scale with the Deluxe class figures. Roughly they'd probably be about 10 x the size they are now. That'd be a pain to transform.

Last edited by Shepp; 04-05-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
nice, I didn't know Metroplex is taller than Fort.
CN tower is 457 meters, so they are both almost double the height of CN tower....
I think that would jive with some of their IDW robot mode appearances (Metroplex, anyways)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalEnvy View Post
So Fruitloop Multipuck is a bit shorter than the Burj Khalifa. Definitely not city-sized...
I sooooo want to name an RPG character Burj Khalifa now. Maybe my next playthrough of Skyrim.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Awesome, interesting math there. Puts it jnew perspective. I agree, compared to doors and such titan masters are huge, but since we need to work with what we have, there is always going to be a scale struggle.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Awesome, interesting math there. Puts it jnew perspective. I agree, compared to doors and such titan masters are huge, but since we need to work with what we have, there is always going to be a scale struggle.
Scale is fudgeable, and that goes all the way back to the source material (and even that source material's source material).

My original guestimates put Metroplex closer to 3 km tall, I think this 880 meters one is better and closer to what was intended. Seems a little more "realistic" (with a HEAVY suspension of disbelief). I mean, half that height might be even closer to what was intended as a Titan's height.

The toys are scaled for child-age human beings to play with them in a functional and enjoyable way on a case by case basis. I don't let scale bug me as an adult, this was just a fun little thing to do.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

Fireflight is actually modelled after the f-4 phantom.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote