Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Your Childhood "Holy Grail" Transformers?

I have few recollections of what I wanted as a child, back then I was recieving many gifts and toylines from everybody and anybody.

I had Real Ghostbusters, He-Man, G.I.Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, LEGO, who knows what else. Most of it is gone now and very few photographic evidence remains as to what I actually had as opposed to what I dreamed of having.

That being said I can safely say that I have always wanted...

G1 Optimus Prime
G1 Megatron
G1 Dinobots
G1 Soundwave
G1 Casseticons
G1 Metroplex
G1 Scorponok
G1 Trypticon

Surprisingly enough I think I want Fortress Maximus now more than I did as a kid, I don't really recall ever seeing him before or saying I want this guy.

Out of that list, I've only managed to get a few. I also always wanted Powermaster Optimus Prime and I did own him for a while, but sold him off recently because... Well to be quite honest the G1 figures I own are the first to go. There is no true sentimentality there for me. It's G2 and Beast Wars that really struck chords with me, while I've loved the G1 cartoon, the G1 toys don't mean much to me. With few exceptions. I'd love to have every Micromaster under the sun, the city/base bots and cons, the cassettes, and I wouldn't mind picking up a Pretender Starscream again because I had him when I was a kid. But for the most part, G1 toys don't hold as much sentimentality to me.

So I collect them, but I don't go out of my way to pick them up. I want them in a way, but that want is drowned out by the more modern figures who don't cost 100s of dollars after the fact.

So that's how it is.

I'm still going to get those Dinobots one of these days, I mean Hasbro has made tons of Dinobots after the fact, but nothing beats those G1 molds. They may be bricks, but at least they still look cool. Why the hell can't Classics Grimlock have taken more of his cues from the original model instead of his Pretender Classics version I'll never know.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

For years as a child I would watch the shelves for a glimpse of Fortress Maximus but never once saw one. A few years back I won my first one on Ebay. I eventually upgraded to a MIB version a couple years later, one of the few G1 toys I bought in box being a loose collector.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

I didn't even know what that was until a little while ago haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I didn't even know what that was until a little while ago haha.
Lol, don't worry, you're not alone. I stopped watching TF's after season 3, so I had no clue about anything after 86 until I started collecting 2.5 years ago. By 87 I had moved onto TMNT, which I have started recollecting now as well
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
juxtapose519
Robot Master

I put off watching The Rebirth for years because I figured it was going to suck. It ended up being not half bad. I still think the whole "Target/Headmasters are Nebulans" thing is kinda stupid, but overall it's a pretty enjoyable story arc.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Hah well, I've got a few Headmasters comics, but I was just so oblivious to all of the toys that existed because not only did I live in a small city at the time that had shitty distribution to begin with, but I was also into the toys during a time where even G2 was in its decline stage.

It actually wasn't until a few months ago that I actually started knowing what's up, be it with new shit or old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
Autobot Meister
Machine War

G1 Megatron and Starscream. Still do not own either. I bought a reissue Starscream but it's just not the same...can't explain it really. Reissues don't do it for me and loose G1's are a crapshoot...i really lucked out on a few Dinobots and failed miserably with others, so...

Jazz was my all time favorite character. I ended up getting him in grade 6. Ironically, he is the only toy from my childhood that I have lost, but I still have the original box....go figure. When i went off to highschool, i stored all my transformers in a box in the attic. Except Jazz. I left him in my night stand drawer. I wouild pick him up every so often. Then one day I just could not find him. I am sure that one of my nephews took him, but I can never prove it

If there is ONE MISB figure that i would spend the cash on, it would be Jazz...most definatley.

Last edited by Autobot Meister; 02-17-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Autobot Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Ask questions, it'll save you the crapshoot. And avoid ebay.

As a kid, wheeljack and scorponok were the two I wanted most and never got

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
Pascal
Banned

Apeface and Snapdragon! Triplechanging Headmasters rawk! And Megatron. My best friend had one, I was so jealous. And Metroplex.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
SHCKWAVE
Beast Machine

I wanted a Sixshot for years after seeing the toy's commercial.(and not on Youtube either.I'm old.LOL) and finally got him off of Ebay a few years back.I then have slowly caught up on my wish list,especially at last year's TF con.Can't wait to go again this year to continue the hunt!Still want Venom,Trypticon,and Bugly.
SHCKWAVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
childhood, grail, past, wanted, young