Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 11-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Re: Takara MP-41 Masterpiece Dinobot Listing And Possible Price

Maybe it's made out of platinum?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
joshimus
Metroplex

New info:
- Fully poseable raptor mode
- Beast mode eyes can be changed
- Sculpted scales under a layer of printed texture all through the beast mode body
- Robot mode is bigger and broader than Optimus Primal
- Hand can hold both weapons in his hands
- The tail shield spins
- Has two extra faces, where one is smiling and one is roaring (probably angry)
- Will have two different coloured eye pieces, to be used with a light up feature (to replicate the lazer beams)
- He will also come with a gold disk accessory and a base that can be used in both modes

Still enticing me.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #13
predahank
Storing is hoarding

If I were 12, I would really enjoy spinny tail and laser eyes to battle evil predacons. As a grown up, you just unnecessarily inflated the cost with features that will never be used.
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #14
79transam
Machine War

I think that the Official TF industry is either testing the waters or trying to establish their products as the top dogs over companies like FT.

There is no question that it's a deliberate move, and they will be watching the preorder counts as well as social media reaction.

The goal is to make money. If they can produce less and earn more, it serves a few purposes- first, profit projections. Second, decreased supply means higher demand. Effectively increasing the value of their products.

Then 6 months later when they reissue, offer just enough to not get stuck with dusty stock, catching the stragglers.

I personally find this offensive. And it doesn't entice me to buy their stuff. At the end of the day, if people want to drop upwards of 400 bucks on a toy, go for it. But I'd rather spend that on 3 K.O. Coneheads and a tank or 2 of gasoline.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
Pgianos
Banned

$*(# that.
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79transam View Post
I think that the Official TF industry is either testing the waters or trying to establish their products as the top dogs over companies like FT.

There is no question that it's a deliberate move, and they will be watching the preorder counts as well as social media reaction.

The goal is to make money. If they can produce less and earn more, it serves a few purposes- first, profit projections. Second, decreased supply means higher demand. Effectively increasing the value of their products.

Then 6 months later when they reissue, offer just enough to not get stuck with dusty stock, catching the stragglers.

I personally find this offensive. And it doesn't entice me to buy their stuff. At the end of the day, if people want to drop upwards of 400 bucks on a toy, go for it. But I'd rather spend that on 3 K.O. Coneheads and a tank or 2 of gasoline.
Keep in mind Takara is making toys primarily for their domestic Japanese market. That market demographics are very different. Takara will have to compete with Bandai on their Gundam/Metal Build/Chogokin and other robots/mecha toys. Those are generally more expensive than MP. Also 3P/KO from China are not generally sold in Japan. And even if they were, it will be a very very small % of market. Hasbro doesn't even plan to release MP BW except a small number of bonuses thru Hasbro Asia. Japan's toys industry is not only huge but also more upscale. People are more than willing to spend more on toys there. Culturally, Most in Japan (and also most part of east Asia) live in small flats and apartments in mega cities. Most people take metro daily and don't have a car. So while you need to spend money on gasoline, people there are spending their money on something else. And toys, model kit building seems to be what a lot of people do when living in small space (other than eating out all the time...LOL)

As for Social Media, the Japanese appears to be not as crazy as the US (trolls everywhere) or China (censor everywhere). From what I read, Japanese seems to be less overly critical and more appreciative for the works from the toy designers. And I think you can see that in many interview with Takara designers. They actually give a lot of insights of the toys design from conceptions to the final projects, where as withHasbro, you get guy like John Warden who is more like a used car salesman pretending to be an engineer (or a real estate salesman pretending to be an architect).

And regarding 2nd production run and reissue. yes it can be foretasted and calculation, but also because the figures need to be built by crew of workers in factory. The workers need to assemble other toys as well. That is why they can only produce so many during the first production run. Sometimes there's no rerun at all.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 11-07-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Yeah if that's the real price I'm skipping or waiting for KO

Fkn 300 CAD, your shit's not that nice Takara
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #18
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Keep in mind Takara is making toys primarily for their domestic Japanese market. That market demographics are very different. Takara will have to compete with Bandai on their Gundam/Metal Build/Chogokin and other robots/mecha toys. Those are generally more expensive than MP. Also 3P/KO from China are not generally sold in Japan. And even if they were, it will be a very very small % of market. Hasbro doesn't even plan to release MP BW except a small number of bonuses thru Hasbro Asia. Japan's toys industry is not only huge but also more upscale. People are more than willing to spend more on toys there. Culturally, Most in Japan (and also most part of east Asia) live in small flats and apartments in mega cities. Most people take metro daily and don't have a car. So while you need to spend money on gasoline, people there are spending their money on something else. And toys, model kit building seems to be what a lot of people do when living in small space (other than eating out all the time...LOL)

As for Social Media, the Japanese appears to be not as crazy as the US (trolls everywhere) or China (censor everywhere). From what I read, Japanese seems to be less overly critical and more appreciative for the works from the toy designers. And I think you can see that in many interview with Takara designers. They actually give a lot of insights of the toys design from conceptions to the final projects, where as withHasbro, you get guy like John Warden who is more like a used car salesman pretending to be an engineer (or a real estate salesman pretending to be an architect).

And regarding 2nd production run and reissue. yes it can be foretasted and calculation, but also because the figures need to be built by crew of workers in factory. The workers need to assemble other toys as well. That is why they can only produce so many during the first production run. Sometimes there's no rerun at all.
Very well said and very true.
Still....I feel bad for mp collectors because outside of that domestic market, this is pure highway robbery. And to think, here I was complaining how a TLK deluxe was overpriced at 29.99 lol.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
79transam
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post

Are they really though? I might be bit blind to what happens globally, but from what i can tell, the North American market is nothing to scoff at.
But if Japan is really not concerned with this market, I guess opinions like mine aren't much more than a fart in the wind.

I personally think that without the North American market, they would feel it.

I still think they are overpriced. And I know I'm just one guy, but I'm one guy who isn't buying their products because I don't think what they have is worth their asking prices.

I started this hobby with things a certain way and as they changed out of sync with wage increases here, it's slowly pushing me away from their stuff. And I'm not interested in converting yen or importing from wherever. I only want to buy from ebay where I get my money back if i get burned, or locally where i can do a return or source missing/broken parts.

Edit- Here's a little something to follow up on the assertion that Takara is mainly after the Japan market.

Is Takara Tomy In Hasbro's Gunsights?
https://seekingalpha.com/article/408...bros-gunsights

Summary:
- Takara Tomy is losing one of its best licenses, and its revenue outlook is negative for the next two years.
- The company has failed in its effort over the past six years to diversify from a declining Japanese toy market.
- The company has incurred massive losses since 2012.
- It has hence become a takeover target and this possibly from the side of Hasbro.

Last edited by 79transam; 11-08-2017 at 04:30 AM.
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #20
RocketGTR
Animated

I read somewhere that the price may be the stores price for pack of four. But that person didn't quote or have anything to prove that. Still hope it's true.