Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
obakemono
Armada
How much is a G1 acurate classic really worth?

I'm having a crisis of transformers collecting faith. I got back into collecting about 6 months ago when I fist saw a City Commander set and was instantly transported back to being 8 and crazy dissapointed that the toys for my beloved transformers were so far from the tv models. But all that seems to have changed and while I've accepted that the alt modes have been updated the actual Classics/universe/RTS/United figures look amazing for the most part and here in lies my dillema.

RTS Perceptor: iffy alt mode, amazing bot mode
United Perceptor:beautiful alt mode, no chrome In bot mode

now I have RTS perceptor ($16) and can get United ($34), and with a little work combine the two into a well painted chromed out Perceptor. BUT is that really worth $50 just to have the best possible representation of this mold? If the alt mode was more accurate I would say hell yes (like wreck gar or blurr) but it feels like a stretch to me.

Any ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by obakemono; 03-29-2011 at 03:57 AM.
obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
faustx
ShelfLife Founder
Re: How much is a G1 acurate classic really worth?

In these situations I always go by a simple rule:

How much do you make per hour. Take that and compare to the time you will spend debating this point. In most situations, this opportunity cost calculation says "go for it".
faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

I agree with faustx, plus it all comes down to what you really want for your collection, how you want it to look (if that matters to you) and what you get out of collecting? For me it's like telling a story and I want to be able to tell the best possible story so I want the best possible figure for that story, it's like hiring an actor for me. We all have our reasons for collecting and I have had many epiphanies along the way which is why I am at where I am in my collecting today (see my sale thread for the explanation). Anyway hopefully you'll ask yourself many questions in your journey and when those questions are answered they will help guide you on your path.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

It's never worth the price of the two, the figures are barely worth the 16$ mark.

We all want the best representation of the g1 crew and at times it becomes quite difficult which way to go. I myself think hasbro Perceptor is the superior of the two, he's chromed out and looks great.His g1 self was a microscope so does it really matter if the hasbro half track/truck has a lil' less detailing picked out in paint?

I myself don't make much money, I'm in University and that eats up most of my cash, therefore I can't allow myself to have the best version of each character but....I could allow myself the best version of my favorite or those who have night and day differences from both companies. Never will I buy both at once, I might buy the Hasbro one as a stand in and if I can spot the takara one for a good price, I'll switch it out but as of yet nothing.

Here's are the character that I found was a stark Difference amongst both companies and I had to make the decision on which was better.

Sunstreaker, my favorite = Looks best as Henkei.

Tracks, another one of my favorites = Looks best
as Henkei.

Perceptor, yet another one of my favs = Looks best Hasbro.

Astrotrain, you can't give me the white version, he has to be purple = therefore Henkei

Hound, he's more cartoon accurate with Hasbro - Hasbro.

Etc.

I have characters like Hot Rod, Inferno,Bluestreak,Blurr, etc that I don't mind just getting the cheaper version because I know there's some characters that have priority over them and I know initially I can't afford ALL the best versions.

Hope that helps, phew...went on for a lil' longer then I wanted.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

It all comes down to are you willing to spend the cash and will the final figure make you happy. If both of these are yes then by all means go for it and if one or both are no then stick to the one you like the most.

That being said, I'm sure someone would be willing to buy the other swapped parts bot to recoup some of your cash.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

G1 accurate. how much are you willing to shell out for these?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by obakemono View Post

Thanks.

check this sight often for rebates and price errors. zellers is one of the worst stores when it comes to keeping the right price. take advantage of this. right now you can probably get a substantial rebate from stores by using the price error laws in your province.

i've also cut down in other useless expenses. i've cut down smoking just to feed my this addiction. lol.

get to know your local specialty store owners. they'll give you a substantial discount on a lot stuff. negotiate with them. get to know your local scalper. he wants a higer price from you get a lower price from him. negotiate.

combine shipping with multiple orders when ordering online.

also customizing your own toys might give you an edge over the pricier ones. RTS jazz. missing paint apps. DIY. i've accumulated enought tools to improve most of the flaws without really spending that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obakemono View Post
Classics/universe/RTS/United figures look amazing for the most part and here in lies my dillema.

RTS Perceptor: iffy alt mode, amazing bot mode
United Perceptor:beautiful alt mode, no chrome In bot mode

now I have RTS perceptor ($16) and can get United ($34), and with a little work combine the two into a well painted chromed out Perceptor. BUT is that really worth $50 just to have the best possible representation of this mold? If the alt mode was more accurate I would say hell yes (like wreck gar or blurr) but it feels like a stretch to me.

Thanks.
someone also painted his RTS perceptor. cheaper way to do this.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radico...-touch-up.html

Last edited by Buhawi; 03-29-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Buhawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Pascal
Banned

"Seulement Classique. Rien d'autre hostie"

LOL!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Buhawi
Ang Alamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
"Seulement Classique. Rien d'autre hostie"

LOL!
yup.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
sideswipe88
Stig's Asian Cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhawi View Post
yup.
Haha I speak french too!