Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #11
joshimus
Metroplex
Re: Boardie Question - At what point are you a scalper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
The Pit was available for approximately 15 fuckin' minutes. To lose out on that, and then see people who got it solely to flip for their own profit?

That's shitty ethics and morals. They suck, and they're a pox on fandom.
Preach!! That's exactly my issue, not the aftermarket price of something widely available but rather the ones that sell out within minutes. It forces people that ACTUALLY want the figure to either pay a ridiculous markup to some jackass or not get it at all. I wont support a scalper so if I lose out, well shit, but it does suck to look forward to an item you really cant get at that point.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
and i'll give you a perfect example. Back in the Shopkins day, my niece was into it and I helped her get her whole collection. At the same time, the USA were sold out of Season 1 packs. I made a killing on ebay but at auction not buy it now... The item cost me 23 bucks CAD I sold them on average for $100 CAD after exchange... Was I a scalper then??? Your opinion can be posted but I know I wasn't scalping. The buyers were dictating the price...
That's really not a good example. You're talking about a sold out item that was available and auction listings dictating price, not someone buying several Judge sets, not sold in stores yet, and marking it up 3 times the price. Totally different scenario.

We are talking about people that deliberately buy out stock for profit when they dont actually care about the product themselves. It's just money to them. There is a reason a lot of places, even online, have a limit of 2 per person, and some sites have "bot" checkers to prevent this issue. Ebay auctions can go either way. Sell with 1 bid at starting price or a whole bunch of people inflate the price, but that's on the buyers, not you.(unless you bought it at 23.00 and listed it at 100, then, scalping)

Either way, I just wont support them and they have every right to be assholes about it, I accept that, but that doesn't mean I like it.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #13
protoform_ironhide
Commander

It's as simple as you buy the items low/regular price and sell them at a ripe off price when everyone else is looking for the same thing. Being a jerk basically when it comes to Transformers Fandom. I personally wouldn't do there, but there are bunch of jerks like that out there, probably on this site as well...who knows. I can live without a figure if the price becomes unaffordable/ridiculous.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #14
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoform_ironhide View Post
I can live without a figure if the price becomes unaffordable/ridiculous.
I argue that you should not have to be put in that position. You should have a fair chance to buy a toy. If down the road you want it and it's only available for a premium, that's separate from scalpers deliberately buying up new toys --- particularly limited ones --- solely to then extort other collectors.

Your choice should not be "get stupid lucky, buy it for a shitty cost, or go without."

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
That's really not a good example. You're talking about a sold out item that was available and auction listings dictating price, not someone buying several Judge sets, not sold in stores yet, and marking it up 3 times the price. Totally different scenario.

We are talking about people that deliberately buy out stock for profit when they dont actually care about the product themselves. It's just money to them. There is a reason a lot of places, even online, have a limit of 2 per person, and some sites have "bot" checkers to prevent this issue. Ebay auctions can go either way. Sell with 1 bid at starting price or a whole bunch of people inflate the price, but that's on the buyers, not you.(unless you bought it at 23.00 and listed it at 100, then, scalping)

Either way, I just wont support them and they have every right to be assholes about it, I accept that, but that doesn't mean I like it.
^^^^^^^

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #16
protoform_ironhide
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
I argue that you should not have to be put in that position. You should have a fair chance to buy a toy. If down the road you want it and it's only available for a premium, that's separate from scalpers deliberately buying up new toys --- particularly limited ones --- solely to then extort other collectors.

Your choice should not be "get stupid lucky, buy it for a shitty cost, or go without."
I know it SHOULD NOT Be like that. However what can you do, just like this Judgement set? All gone in less than a day. I will just live without it at this point.
protoform_ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Totally agree that scalpers are trash, but Hasbro is the main culprit to blame. Everyone wanted one of these, but they made it an exclusive. The entire War For Cybertron line has been poorly distributed (except the first wave). I think they're just trying to push Pulse on everyone and they're making it hell to acquire the figures at retail.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #18
Pascal
Banned

And at the other end of the spectrum, you have customers who knowingly try to screw stores by asking them to price-match toys they know aren't part of a sale and what not.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #19
Pgianos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
The Pit of Judgement set that recently came out got me thinking about this.

Local Boardie has it up on CL for $230.00

I'm sure it cost a pretty penny to get it delivered, etc but this still seems excessive.

It is a limited figure, high demand.

But to me, still scalping.

Maybe because in this instance I know this guy has done similar with other items and it's not a one off.

Also, the fact that he's hiding behind CL's anonymity and does not have it posted here on his for sale thread.

How exactly do we define a scalper vs. someone who is just trying to get full value out of a hobby that they spend lots on?
WHEN YOU BUY WITH THE INTENTION OF IMMEDIATELY RESELLING HOPING FOR A PROFIT!
Pgianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #20
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
And at the other end of the spectrum, you have customers who knowingly try to screw stores by asking them to price-match toys they know aren't part of a sale and what not.

That's not really the same spectrum, one is fraud by successfully duping a company and the other is capitalism that preys on a product's demand/limited supply.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote