Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #41
TFtoys
Animated
Re: Transformers and the TMNT Effect..

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
How about this if you are going to do repaints /reissue why not some of the pieces that never made it to this shore?
I wish for those pretender and victory saber series to be repainted.
However, it seems the earliest repaint figures that Hasbro can do are beast war so far.

every retailer wants its own exclusive color and special package;it just too much to spend the money on rotf soundwave.
TFtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
Batman
The Dark Knight

Hasbro and Playmates must be doing something right, after 25 years they are both still cranking out toys of two of the 80's most beloved franchises.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #43
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
Alright, since we want to play the technical game using the original 07 concept Camero mold there's only been 5 actual redeco of it, 1 of which was an actual repaint.

The Original
The Screen Battle version
The mucked up Evolution of a Hero version
The Allspark blue touched version
and Cliffjumper

and of those only 4 came out in 2007 (CJ was in 2008) and 2 were stores exclusives and specially ordered. I didn't miss your point at all, because the logic is flawed, regardless of the time difference those molds were redeco'd and repainted multiple times, and I wasn't even counting the 2 retools for Dinobot, and 1 for Waspinator either. So if you want to count the Japanese versions for those Beast Wars characters then we're up to 3 in 1 year, 1 short of the concept camero at it's best.
You forgot Stealth Bumblebee and Premium Bumblebee in 08 with Cliffjumper.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, it would go the following...

1996 Dinobot
1997 Grimlock
1998 or 99 Fox Kids Dinobot
2006 10th Anniversary Dinobot

As for the Japanese items, I believe it also goes the following.

1996 or 97 Dinobot
1997 or 98 Hardhead (I can't recall, but I believe the years are close to jiving here.)
2007? BW Anniversary Dinobot

And if you want to get picky

2000 or 2001 Dinobots Dinotron (BM)
2004 or 2005 Dinobots Grimlock (Armada)

Your argument doesn't hold water, at best Dinobot alone was used twice in one year, once the following year and again once or twice at any other given years release from 96-present. So it is not 3 like you said, I don't even know where you got 3 from unless you thought Grimlock was also released the same year as Dinobot, which may be the case if you want to spend time hunting down old sightings of when the secend assortment of Deluxe figures was actually released.

But still, you will note the figure is drawn out through a long stretch of time, some years you don't even actually see the mold in use at all.

Bumblebee as you pointed out was released 4 times in the same year, it doesn't matter if they were store exclusive pieces of slag, that's still 4 times in one year. And then again the retool has been seen at least twice in this year, soon to be four times if the NEST stuff shows up by December.

I'm not trying to tell anybody at Hasbro how to do their jobs, I'm just pointing out that unlike previous eras the Movie franchise has recieved the most repaints out of any recent line of figures. Counting all the Scouts/Deluxes/Voyagers/Leaders and so on. In the same friggen year. I think some of those repaints could have been held off for a few years, otherwise everybody is just going to get sick of Battle Mode Extreme Bumblebee or something similar. It doesn't matter how popular the goddamn character is, this is still an excessive amount of repaints for any main line TF series. (Most of the Repaints of Beast Era molds weren't even part of Beast Wars series, but other series down the line to offer collectors and kids something else to pick up.)

Quote:
I'd also like to point out the most obvious overlooked factor here....G1 STARTED WITH ALL REPAINTS/REDECOS!!!! Diaclone anyone? Even your defense using the Japanese lines is flawed as many of those were recolours from American toys that never made it into the fiction or retools! Hell all of Masterforce the only original molds were Metalhawk, Overlord, God Bomber, and the Scorponok re-tooled Blackzarak
G1 started with imported figures from Diaclone, that is true, but they were not widely available in the states as Diaclone figures, and quite frankly that doesn't count. Seriously Transformers was an original concept, the characters were original, the personalities were original, there is no reason what so ever to say that G1 started off with all repaints/redecoes because... Despite being factually true, the toys were considered to be original to the kids of that generation. Unless they had parents who liked importing stuff from Japan.

Quote:
No, it's because of that practice they stay in business and give us more toys, I would like to know how you think they'd do better under your business model. By all means write one up for them and see how well it flies. They've been doing this for 25 years, in the business, we've been outside observers looking in. What in the hell makes people think they know better?!?

Did you not notice the smilie? Or did you just choose to ignore it? I was being cheeky, I mean seriously I have no intention of drawing up some stupid business plan for Hasbro to consider that cuts repaints out completely or any kind of shit like that.

I am not saying I can run their business better, I never claimed that, you're putting words in my mouth. All I was saying was that in all fairness, Repaints are becoming a tad overabundant, even if it is for cost saving measures. And if you'll notice I even said Hasbro should make another new Voyager mold they could use for more than one Autobot... Trailbreaker/Hound, so I'm not against repants in general or on principle, I am against the excessive need to repaint figures that are popular just because THEY ARE popular. I mean they may be popular with the massess now, but when you shove eighteen different variations of the exact same paint job, on the exact same mold give or take an accessory, even the people who adore Bumblebee to death will get sick and tired of seeing YET ANOTHER Bumblebee.

Also, I do believe that Bumblebee is starting to shelf-warm along with Mudflap.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #44
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecoin View Post
This all pretty normal, I don't understand the big Kerfufel. I guess its just something too bitch about.
Pretty much...but it seems if you don't agree with not liking 4 repaints of a character in a year you'll get further bitched at for something so ridiculously out of ones control...even if there are variations between releases like a new head, or blaster arm, or hell even having the upper portion of a body remolded...I guess slight changes aren't for everyone and as long as the character's name remains the same it'll be a constant visual reminder of the horrible dreadful and terrible over saturation of the market that will hold back from me getting the toys IIIII WAAANT.

Some people just care WAY to much about toys ...

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #45
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

i like pie

"for everything there ever was"

Last edited by jackalprime; 11-11-2009 at 01:37 PM.
jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #46
Cyber-Kun
Machine War
Send a message via MSN to Cyber-Kun Send a message via Skype™ to Cyber-Kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalprime View Post
i like pie

OMG me too! What kind?
Cyber-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #47
RedOktobre
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Kun View Post
OMG me too! What kind?
I love Superstore's or Safeway's apple pie.

I don't like Walmart's apple pie though.

McDonald's baked apple pie is good too!

View my collection on Youtube at the raginroninreview channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoEydL-p6s

Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...800#post360800

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=2648

Disclaimer:
All statements or views expressed by the board member, "RedOktobre", are purely personal opinions which may or may not be substantiated by relevant facts. Any perceived insult resulting from opinions asserted by the said board member is absolutely unintentional.
RedOktobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #48
OneShallFall
FoxtrotUnicornCharlieKilo

I agree with you as a collector to an extent,but such is life.

For all the people saying "kids dont want this or that".Ask some.I know my kids want all of the Bumblebees.They dont care if it is a new mold or any of that.THEY JUST WANT TRANSFORMERS.The only ones I have found that they dont really want are ones that were not in the movie.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #49
WhiteRabbit
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
even the people who adore Bumblebee to death will get sick and tired of seeing YET ANOTHER Bumblebee.
Except for all the kids whose birthday/special event/rare toy store trip didn't occur around the time of the last Bumblebee release that is no longer on shelves.

Peeps need to get this collector's mentality outta their head and realize that not every toy Hasbro produces is meant just to please online gripers.

Bumblebee is Hasbro's bread and butter right now. Get over it.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #50
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
Except for all the kids whose birthday/special event/rare toy store trip didn't occur around the time of the last Bumblebee release that is no longer on shelves.

Peeps need to get this collector's mentality outta their head and realize that not every toy Hasbro produces is meant just to please online gripers.

Bumblebee is Hasbro's bread and butter right now. Get over it.

How do you propose to remove a collector's mentality from a collector's head? That's how collectors think, it's how their mind works, they can't exactly change that. Now can they?

As for my thoughts on the subject, perhaps I am being a little defensive, but telling someone to just get over it, when they are passionate about these sorts of things... Well it is a tad on the foolish side, not to mention in certain respects it feels more like somebody is trying to dictate how others should think and react. I may be a little opinionated on the subject, but I don't think I have tried to force others to share my opinion, I've just been trying to explain it with what little facts I can recall.

Anyway, I don't see how I'm just supposed to ignore it and think of how kids feel. I mean when I was a kid I certainly don't recall demanding every single figure. Of course then again I recall being a completist even back then, so I guess I was interested in trying to get them all, but even I would have felt a little jipped back then if every third or fourth figure was just a repaint of the same figure and mold. That's just the way I think.