Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Angry It's UPS

Yeah, so I paid someone in the states for some Kre-O items we haven't gotten up here yet. UPS totally hosed me.

See I paid a grand total of 170$ before shipping for six sets. Listed as three by the seller.

UPS took that 170$ total and somehow, either due to the seller's error or the error of UPS, listed each item separately as 170$, meaning they took the value and jacked it up to 510$ US. Naturally with currency conversion this made it over 600$ our currency.

The GST was a bit higher than it should have been because of this, naturally. I'm still not sure why the government charges individuals GST on importing items or why UPS treats everyone, including individuals as a company, which potentially leads to the damn GST charges as it stands.

But anyway, there was a brokerage fee as well, and that fee was applied to the 613$ and change that the currency converted to.

I just had to spend 130$ on top of the damn money I spent for the items and to ship them here. I should have insisted on using USPS with the seller, they don't have jacked up fees for importing to the states, just duties and taxes for passing through customs last I checked.

I'm not sure who to talk to about this, or where to go, there isn't much I can do at this point to argue the matter, aside from providing documented proof that the items total value was 170$ not 170$ for each individual item. I'm perfectly willing to accept whatever the government tells me I need to pay for having an item come across the boarder, but a brokerage fee doesn't strike me as something I should be paying, not to this large of an extent.

What should I do? I have no experience in dealings of this sort... Also would anyone happen to know what the hell EEI stands for on a UPS customs form?

I do not like this, I mean the dude was very accommodating, he bought these things for me and held on to them while I saved up the full amount to pay for them, and I don't want this brokerage fee and gst costs to detract from an otherwise decent seller, but I am certainly not in the mood to leave positive feedback just yet if ever.

Anyway, are there any insights into how to go about dealing with UPS's messy brokerage costs? Or am I just going to have to eat this damn cost, which really does not help with my current budget?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Ozrein
Stunticon
Re: It's UPS

The brokerage and fees have nothing to do with the seller. So leave positive feedback for him if all is well with the items and such. The fees for brokerage, etc., will need to be dealt with by UPS. Call them and try to sort it out, otherwise the Sender will need to call them and sort it out (sometimes shipping companies will not deal directly with the receiver, they will only deal with the seller).
Old 09-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post
The brokerage and fees have nothing to do with the seller. So leave positive feedback for him if all is well with the items and such. The fees for brokerage, etc., will need to be dealt with by UPS. Call them and try to sort it out, otherwise the Sender will need to call them and sort it out (sometimes shipping companies will not deal directly with the receiver, they will only deal with the seller).
I'll take that under advisement.

Still have to look over everything to make sure nothing was damaged or missing from the items before I even think about leaving feedback. Had to return to college to meet with my tutor and go over stuff for next Monday's quiz so I didn't have time to even try to start building anything or look at everything in detail.

I'm still curious to know what the heck EEI stands for, the delivery guy said he'd never come across it before in his deliveries and was confused about it too.

EDIT: HOLY COW, EEI is Electronic Export Information and apparently it's used by the US Census bureau. However it's only supposed to be used on items being exported with a single commodity value exceeding 2,500$ US and when shipping to Canada it is supposed to be exempt unless an export license or permit is required. I have no idea what it was doing on my package then, no way did the value exceed 2500 US and I'm not sure if the rest of that applied concerning the export license or permit stuff.

You learn something new every time you run google search apparently.

Last edited by Scrapper6; 09-26-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Scrapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Ozrein
Stunticon

Just googled EEI, could be Electronic Export Information (?)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Yeah stay away from UPS at all costs.

I had to ship something to the states for warranty work, when they shipped it back they put a value down for the warranty work and ups nailed me an additional 40$ roughly their min charge.

I won't buy of EBAY unless they ship via USPS

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

So I heard back from the seller. Who read condescending and as if he were guilt tripping me into giving him positive feedback. Despite this attitude I feel he does deserve some positive feedback and yet I hesitate, mostly to wait and see how he responds to my response.

Still if you use UPS more frequently and know how their system operates wouldn't you at least have the sense to work within their system to use it a little smarter?

I don't know. It's done, there isn't much either side seems able (or willing) to do to try and get UPS to smarten up with their crappy service.

Opinions, advice?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
So I heard back from the seller. Who read condescending and as if he were guilt tripping me into giving him positive feedback. Despite this attitude I feel he does deserve some positive feedback and yet I hesitate, mostly to wait and see how he responds to my response.

Still if you use UPS more frequently and know how their system operates wouldn't you at least have the sense to work within their system to use it a little smarter?

I don't know. It's done, there isn't much either side seems able (or willing) to do to try and get UPS to smarten up with their crappy service.

Opinions, advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozrein View Post

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

ups and fedex aren't worth the fees to import anything, if anyone says they are using it, move on to someone that will use usps

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
ups and fedex aren't worth the fees to import anything, if anyone says they are using it, move on to someone that will use usps
Really? LEGO Shop seems to use FedEx a lot and I haven't received any fees from either order with them.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Jeepmanhastj
Beasty

I've had this happen to me with a seller from Texas.

You have to get him to redo the form that shows the values on that end and send it to UPS.

When they have a corrected value form from the seller they will have to adjust their costs.

Then you have to submit that info to CRA to get your taxes back via the form they slapped on your package. That has to be mailed in.

You can get it corrected, call UPS customer service and tell them that the values were incorrect and hopefully the seller will redo the declaration form (properly).
Jeepmanhastj is offline   Reply With Quote