Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Softserve
Generation 1
First TFCON ever! Tips? Tricks? Advice?

This will be the first time I attend a transformers convention! Very excited to say the least!

Will be new to all that TFCON has to offer, so I thought it would be fun to post and get a little taste of what to expect, what to bring, what to do!

A little about me, what brings me, and what I am looking to get!

- Local, will be driving
- Coming with some friends from work that are TF vets
- New to the Transformers world, learning tons
- Own TWO transformers, heck ya I rock...
- Looking to make some purchases
- Like the Masterpiece stuff best

Not much to go on but hey!!!
Softserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: First TFCON ever! Tips? Tricks? Advice?

Here you go.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com

hello I am a TFcon veteran, have been to all of them... can't believe it's been 10 years.

Just make sure to look ahead at the event schedule when it's released and plan out the main events you'd like to attend. Budget time for just exploring and meeting people. It's very easy to spend all this time shopping in the dealer room, which is great, but then you might miss out on a lot of memorable moments in the panels/contests/lounge. Find balance (between the organic and technological). Take some pictures to Reflect on because it can be a Blurr. Make cheesy Transformers jokes... it's the only place where people will understand. Dress in a way that the rest of the world thinks is uncool. Participate in something that you normally wouldn't. Talk to strangers. Donate a toy to the charity auction. Transcend your destiny.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Rogue_Optimus
Armada

Bring a camera, lots of cool cosplay's out on the floor and displays.
Wear deoderant, can't stress that enough
Bring cash, don't count on any local ATM
Agree with what's been said, take a look at the event schedule ahead of time and plan accordingly
Rogue_Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Well, for a start...
...before you come to the show...
(1) Make a list of what you're looking for and research prices. Keep in mind prices at a con can vary from what you see online. Sometimes they're more, sometimes they're less.
(2) Get some cash! Bring more than you plan on spending, but not more than you feel comfortable spending. More than likely you will find things you want, but didn't plan on buying. Just don't go overboard.
Assuming you're staying the weekend...
(3) Shower every morning. Use soap.
(4) Use deodorant.
(5) Change into fresh, clean clothes.
Now you're ready for the show!
(6) Be patient. There will be lines. Not as bad as BotCon. But whether it be for registration, the dealer room, or a guest signing, you'll be expected to wait in line. Maybe talk to the person in front of or behind you. They're probably there for the same reason you are. Who knows? You might make a new friend!
(7) Listen to the staff. They're fans too and they're volunteers. And they're there to try and make sure everyone has a great time.
(8) Have fun!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
THIS.

Everything you need to know we cover in this Podcast.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Stormrave
Machine War

Don't touch Piss Magnus.

*ahem*

In the dealer room you will often have to choose between buying something you really want right away, or risking that it will be gone before you have a chance to tour the room and find it cheaper. So: If you desperately need it and it's rare, and you can afford it, buy it on sight. If you're willing to gamble, a quick circuit of the room might let you find it cheaper elsewhere. Later on, you can take your time going through the room again looking at everything in detail and digging for bargains, but the first pass for the most desired stuff is a technique that's been very very good to me.

Wash with soap, use deodorant, know that at least one guy in the dealer room will not do either, and that at some point during the day, you will be behind him.

If you are in line for Q&A with the guests, ask one question, then get back in the line. Nobody loves a microphone hog, particularly everyone else in line to ask a question.

Never put toys in the toilet.
Stormrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus

great advice here guys.
soft serve, so glad you will be attending this year, I'm sure your going to have an amazing time!!

like nightscrabbler, I've been to all tfcons, and it is the single greatest weekend of the year for me.

it used to be all about the toys, but now its an opportunity to connect with so many friends I've made over the years who also love transformers.

Take time to talk to and introduce yourself to people. I'm always pleasantly surprised at how welcoming our transformers community is, especially compared to other conventions.

Good point about the ATM.
Bring plenty of Cash.
Also good advice about buying on sight. if its something you're really looking for, and you know the price is good, buy it, cuz chances are it will not be there after.

If you don't know about the guests, look them up, it will make the panels more enjoyable for you

Go to the transformers voice acting script auditions to audition for a role as your favourite transformer, or listen to others, its pretty fun.

And stay after the con, and enjoy the bar, you never know what will happen.

Last year we had an impromptu concert (guitar and everthing) by Gary Chalk - voice of bw optimus prime.

See you there,
cheers!
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

Bring cash
Buy your host a drink at the bar
Have fun

Oh, and don't lend your money to anyone named "Becky"

I think that covers the basics. Oh, one more. If you lose the cannon to your leader brawl, just accept that It's gone. Forever.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
RageD
Energon

Ya if you see something you want, grab it. Odd's are it's gone the next time you go by!

Also don't forget the "junker" bins beneath tables and such, a quick cheap way to complete a combiner or get some customizing fodder.

Sixshot in awesome shape last year for $20.00 was my deal of the show.