Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
zackmak
Robot Master
Anyone ever had an animation cel signed? Any problems to consider? Smudging, etc?

I'm considering getting voice artists to sign on animation cels, but because I've never gotten autographs on them before, I'm wondering about a few things. Since the signature will be on the cel 'plastic':

Will only select markers be good to use (i.e. Sharpie), to avoid the signature lines from 'breaking up' on plastic surface in the short/long term?

With the surface being plastic, will marker be permanent? Will the signature always have the potential of being rubbed off?

Does it take too long for a signature to dry on that surface, and therefore, there is high potential of smudging...even in the long term?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Jonnydark
Beast Machine
Re: Anyone ever had an animation cel signed? Any problems to consider? Smudging, etc?

Hey!

I own cels of Ghostbusters and I've considered getting them signed by the voice actors.

You already are aware of a lot of the problems. Sharpie is not a great brand to use because it fades a lot over time. You might have to go online and find a very very high quality marker. I'd invest in a good one because a Cel of Optimus Prime signed by Peter Cullen would be the most incredible thing ever.

There are art stores in Kitchener Waterloo... You could see what they have.

You could also email some online cel retailers and ask what they use.

Also, no matter what you do... GET PHOTOS of the actor signing it. Otherwise it might as well been done by a forger. I got Derrek J Wyatt to sign one of my figures and took a photo of him doing it. So important.

Take care! What cels do you have? I'm into collecting them. (I have 12 Ghostbuster ones... They're practically worthless, like 20$ each... But I like them. haha )

Last edited by Jonnydark; 05-17-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Ras
Generation 1
Re: Anyone ever had an animation cel signed? Any problems to consider? Smudging, etc?

Sounds cool, where's a good source for t-formers cels?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
Gumby
Beasty

Landfills in Japan.

Unfortunately, that's where a lot of cells from 80's classics like Transformers, Thundercats and G.I. Joe ended up.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
zackmak
Robot Master

Thanks for the info, Jonnydark!

I have a couple questions for you, maybe everyone can benefit from the answers:

1. What brand of marker has been working for you? I can go buy the same...but how do you know the signature won't fade away like the Sharpie?

2. How long have you had your autographed cels that were autographed with the better marker for, and how long do autographed cels signed with a Sharpie last before they start fading?

3. I would plan on signing the clear, see-through parts of the plastic cel (not the coloured parts). Does it make a difference?
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

1. Well, remember I've only CONSIDERED doing this... I haven't done it yet. This is why you have to do some research.

2. Sharpie doesn't last long at all. I got an action figure in protective plastic signed at a con this year and it is already fading.

3. I would sign the clear parts myself... But I think that choice is up to you.

I emailed an animation cel dealer because now you've got me curious. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
grizzly519
Alternator

I'm also curious about this as i intend to get a cel signed by Peter Cullen but was unaware of Sharpies fading.The best marker would be preferred in this case.I also emailed a animation cel dealer but am unsure if they'll respond.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
grizzly519
Alternator

The animation cel dealer responded to me and this was the reply:

"I would suggest a sharpie permanent marker. We are not experts in this so
this is only a suggestion. You may want to check with the person doing the
signing as they would have done this before."

Hopefully Jonnydark will get a more authoritative response then i did.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

"Any archival marker would be best. You can get them at any photography or art supply store."

There you go. A photography store might be a good try! I think there was a Henrys in Waterloo.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Okay I know this is off topic a little bit but would the same marker be a good choice for say the MP-10 Trailer I plan on getting signed if sharpies don't last long then I would want something that does, And there are a few photo shops in my town so I could just get one there if you would think it to be a better option.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote