Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 05-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
I was thinking about the Triple Changers the other day, and looking at Springer, he's kind of odd.

He's billed as a TC but he's kinda more like Perceptor in the way of being a Triple Changer. meaning, as one of you said in the podcast, the triple changers all have two distinct alt/modes: train/space shuttle, tank/jet, truck/plane, dune buggy/helicopter, aircraft carrier/jet.
Then we have Springer; armoured car to armoured helicopter. His helicopter mode is almost more like just a "flight mode" than a true helicopter. The other 6 triple changer's have alt/modes that don't resemble each other at all, but Springer just kinda elongates and adds a rotor.
All the other could concievably disguise themselves as two things but Springer, "Hey, I know That Autobot Springer turns into a helicopter, but doesn't that car over there kinda look like him?"

But I agree that there are lots of TF that are technically triple changers, but aren't billed as such, like Perceptor and Galvatron, and the city-bots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I loved doing the What's in a Name topic. Expect more from this.
Sometimes I think you're being way too literal with how you're trying to define their names. You're forgetting that many of the original G1s were given names that had absolutely nothing to do with their alt/modes, but more with their personalities or their signature weapon.

Bluestreak is named so because he talks alot. As was pointed out Thundercracker is named so because of his deafening sonic booms. Cliffjumper "leaps before he looks".
Granted many of them do have names that make no sense like Bumblebee.

And BTW, Windcharger is a Trans AM, not a Corvette, and Sunbow is pronounced like rainbow. Bow as in to tie a bow or like a bow and arrow. Not like to take a bow (ba-ow), or the front of a boat ie the bow.
Their old logo is a sun with a "rainbow" arcing over it, hence Sun-Bow.

Sorry. It just bugs me every time I hear you say Sunba-ow

Last edited by GMfan; 06-01-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Shockwave 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Stapler
Nexus Maximus
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 33 - 3 Alt Modes Does Not a Triple Changer Make

Loving the episode, guys! But Trailbreaker's name does fit him pretty well. Remember how in the MTMTE pilot episodes he was roughing it in the mountain woods with Spike and Sparkplug when they were spying on the decepticons? I'd say that he lived up to his name well enough.
As for Animated Perceptor, I was never too fond about the idea of why he has the Hawking voice. It strikes me much more as something Shockwave would do than Perceptor.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).

Last edited by Stapler; 05-31-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Good episode, I like the name section and main topic discussion. But you forgot G1 Soundwave is also a TC... he's got an energy supplying base "mode"

G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Is G1 Galvatron even a Triplechanger? You barely have to do anything to make the cannon into a gun - and he never used it in the show...maybe in a comic?

Other than that I have nothing else to contribute at the moment other than it was another great show.

Keep up the good work guys. This is becoming a podcast of Legend.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

You mentioned Piranacon technically being a "targetmaster", he was actually advertised and sold under the targetmaster banner.

The catalogue entry reads:

"Undersea Terror! These deep sea creatures change from robots to monsters and now to free-standing targetmaster weapons. Join them together and form a six-man super robot!"

As for triple changers, I would agree that a triple changer needs three distinct modes. I would also agree that two alt modes and one robot mode is a requirement. I would classify Beast Wars Rampage as a triple-changer. I think his tank mode was different enough from his crab mode to be considered an actual transformation and not just an "upgrade".

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
Good episode, I like the name section and main topic discussion. But you forgot G1 Soundwave is also a TC... he's got an energy supplying base "mode"

This is a great picture! There is so much stuff in that bottom pic that I had as a kid and never knew that they were related. Like the little watch guys, and those two vehicles, the helicopter and motorcycle.
This pic also helped me to get my Soundwave to stop slouching. Just have his legs out-turned a bit like in the bottom pic.

I love how the description at the top describes his as both courageous and handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
Is G1 Galvatron even a Triplechanger? You barely have to do anything to make the cannon into a gun - and he never used it in the show...maybe in a comic?
Just cuz the transformation isn't complicated dosen't mean he's not a triple changer.
And yes, he used his laser pistol mode a few times in the UK comics.

Last edited by Shockwave 75; 06-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Shockwave 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
Sunbow is pronounced like rainbow. Bow as in to tie a bow or like a bow and arrow. Not like to take a bow (ba-ow), or the front of a boat ie the bow.
Their old logo is a sun with a "rainbow" arcing over it, hence Sun-Bow.

Sorry. It just bugs me every time I hear you say Sunba-ow
Would send us an mp3 of yourself saying "IT'S SUNBOW!" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
As for Animated Perceptor, I was never too fond about the idea of why he has the Hawking voice. It strikes me much more as something Shockwave would do than Perceptor.
ah ah ah....different universes, you're connecting animated Perceptor to G1 Shockwave which we know are different universes and characters won't be the exact same as their predecessors. Prime (hehe) example would be Optimus, nothing like his G1 self. That trait may not have been 100% G1 Perceptors style but it did give him an interesting attribute which added to this character even more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
Oh wow....I didn't even know that existed....and here I thought the lamp mode was lame....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
Ya, Galvatrons gun mode was used in the comic but even then I really wouldn't consider him a triple changer as he was never really referred to as such. The way his gun mode was incorporated it seemed it was meant more to be a "role playing" toy for the kiddies, akin to the RP blasters of today, just they also had a cannon and robot mode. As we said....2 distinct alt modes, whats the difference between a gun and a cannon other then size? Hell guns have been slanged "cannons". I'm just saying there should be more then folding up the treads and folding down a handle to make a vastly different alt mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
You mentioned Piranacon technically being a "targetmaster", he was actually advertised and sold under the targetmaster banner.

The catalogue entry reads:

"Undersea Terror! These deep sea creatures change from robots to monsters and now to free-standing targetmaster weapons. Join them together and form a six-man super robot!"
Hmmmm.....interesting....very interesting....especially since generally a targetmaster was just a robot and gun mode, they had an additional alt mode....the taxonomy is getting ALL OUTTA WHACK!....GEORGE IS GETTING ANGRY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
As for triple changers, I would agree that a triple changer needs three distinct modes. I would also agree that two alt modes and one robot mode is a requirement. I would classify Beast Wars Rampage as a triple-changer. I think his tank mode was different enough from his crab mode to be considered an actual transformation and not just an "upgrade".
Would ya? I dunno, it's just tread that come out of his claws that wrap around his curled up legs with a gun that pops out of his mouth....see the funny thing is I used think he was a triple changer too but the more I thought about it the less I could justify it. I dunno, he's a definite TCWTF :P

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Great show guys, as always.

I really enjoyed the new "Whats in a name" topic.

I have always thought of Triple Changers as the classic 2 Vehicle modes for one Bot mode. Blitzwing being a personal all time favorite, despite never owning a Blitzwing toy, ever! Triple Changers tend to have alt modes that are uniquely useful in their own right. Blitzy for example has his Jet mode for getting around quickly, and all other Jetty stuff (Don't critique my terminology I am running on no sleep and lots of caffeine! ). His Tank mode is useful for when he needs to be either on the ground, or needs some heavy firepower.

TF's like Punch/Counterpunch I wouldn't count as Triple Changers. P/CP is a spy bot, he changes the appearance of his robot mode to fit in with the opposing faction, and uniquely in the case of Animated Shockwave, who has a completely unique Autobot Robot and Alt mode, to give his Decepticon Bot/Alt modes a more friendly appearance. Not to mention that he can change his colour to match his G1 namesake, which is a complete nod to the fans, but hey, we like that sorta thing, and it gave more of us an excuse to buy both Shockwaves; "OMG! He turned purple in the show! Now I can buy Purplewave because he was in the show!" Of course, I caved and bought it either way.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #19
aximili
Machine War

Another great show! Triple changers are just so cool. But yeah it can get quite confusing when many transformers have sort-of-extra-alt-modes and other gimmicks.

I loved that Animated had Blitzwing and I hope the next cartoon re-imagines another "classic" triple changer. My hope is for Astrotrain.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
he used his laser pistol mode a few times in the UK comics.
That's cool. Do you know who ended up holding him whilst in laser pistol mode in the UK comics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Ya, Galvatrons gun mode was used in the comic but even then I really wouldn't consider him a triple changer as he was never really referred to as such. The way his gun mode was incorporated it seemed it was meant more to be a "role playing" toy for the kiddies, akin to the RP blasters of today, just they also had a cannon and robot mode. As we said....2 distinct alt modes, whats the difference between a gun and a cannon other then size? Hell guns have been slanged "cannons". I'm just saying there should be more then folding up the treads and folding down a handle to make a vastly different alt mode.
I agree that the modes should be more distinct from each other. To me its always seemed like the gun mode was an afterthought. Some dude was like "hey guys, look what I did with Galvatron! Zaaaap!"

For G1 Galvatron, I had always wished that he had a jet mode to go along with this cannon/tank mode.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast