Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #51
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 33 - 3 Alt Modes Does Not a Triple Changer Make

Quote:
Originally Posted by aximili View Post
Let's see, I was born in the Transformers generation, but I wasn't really a conscious being until Ninja Turtles. But I'd say I'm wholeheartedly within the Power Rangers gen in terms of most time as a kid. Though I watched all of those wonderful '90s cartoons as well.

It's funny, I look at kid's shows today and with few exceptions I think they are horrible compared to the awesome shows I grew up with and I lament the fact that they just don't make them like that any more.

Though I'm sure in 10-20 years the kids of today will be going on about how they just don't make shows like Bakugan anymore. Damn, that is going to suck when the nostalgia waves start up for things I didn't grow up with anymore.
Well one can argue it's us getting older and looking back saying "I had it better!" like parents were recently with rap music in the 90s, and grandparents in the 60s with the damn rock music!

Either it's just us or the quality truly isn't there any more...I'll admit from time to time (*cough if I'm awake at the time) I try to catch a cartoon here and there...even if I have no interest just to see what's out there.

I watched an episode of this Bakugon...and it was pretty muck Beyblade with transforming balls. Though the game actually has some strategy to it so it's already better then the chance of winning that is Beyblade. But for the most part everything else I've been seeing is mind numbing crap.

The only show I've seen in recent year which gives me the same laughs I had when I was a kid watching TV is Spongebob...and seriously, my sense of humor hasn't changed that much. I got my Darkwing Duck and my Animaniacs DVD and they still slay me.

So my only explanation for cartoons today (though it seems to be the same as some cartoons in the past...) is to come up with a fad, complete with "catch'em all" toys and/or games ready at the get go. It's pretty much exploded in the last decade starting with pokemon. Look at everything else that was popular in the last decade Yu-gi-oh had the card game to collect, Beyblade you had to get the tops, and now Bakugon....well...ya know. Either way it seemed that the toy makers realized the 80s model is working again and have been beating it to death leaving us with nothing but infomercial cartoons that just feel hollow.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #52
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
1993 - 1996 Power Rangers Generation (Which also over lapped with........ )
1993 - 1997 Golden Age of 90s Cartoons Era (Batman, X-Men, Spiderman, Mainframe creations, the list goes on, the reason for it's depth and mix was due to the revival of the arcade scene with Street Fighter, the console wars of SNES and Genesis and comic books making a lot of groundbreaking changes, media was at it's peak)
1998 - 2000 Pokemon Generation, later shared with Digimon (Anime goes from niche (Sailor Moon, Dragonball) to marketing pro-choice by channels/companies)
I'm technically more into the Golden Age/Power Rangers generation since these are of the first that I remember,and,to be technical,Sailor Moon premiered at 95,but,since this is referring to the Pokemon craze....

Quote:
Actually no.

Thomas the Tank Engine was originally inbetween shorts played on the BBC (British Broadcast company) and PBS back in the early 80s (with narative by Ringo Star). PBS created Shining Time Station (1989-90), got Ringo Star to play the role as Mister Conductor (Later replaced by George Carlin) and the shorts from the early 80s were reused for the show as Mister Conductor's stories to the children. YTV would pick up the show a year after it's debut. After Shining Time Station ended, Thomas would return to his BBC roots with Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends again with more short stories.

I was a big fan of it as a child. =P
Really?Well thank you for putting me at my place :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #53
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
1993 - 1996 Power Rangers Generation (Which also over lapped with........ )
1993 - 1997 Golden Age of 90s Cartoons Era (Batman, X-Men, Spiderman, Mainframe creations, the list goes on, the reason for it's depth and mix was due to the revival of the arcade scene with Street Fighter, the console wars of SNES and Genesis and comic books making a lot of groundbreaking changes, media was at it's peak)
1998 - 2000 Pokemon Generation, later shared with Digimon (Anime goes from niche (Sailor Moon, Dragonball) to marketing pro-choice by channels/companies)
Why would I wait until I was five to have a childhood?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #54
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
Why would I wait until I was five to have a childhood?
Because when you're around three or four,that's when you start to gain memory of your past actions,in our case,during the Power Ranger phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #55
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Oh God, Shining Time Station. I just watched a few episodes on YouTube and it all came flooding back to me. It's like I had seen them yesterday. I must have watched that show more than Beast Wars, and I loved me some Beasties back then. Oh boy, that show was great.

That was the first and only thing I ever saw George Carlin in. It wasn't till years later that I found out about his comedy. I was just watching TV and one of his stand-up specials came on. And I was like, "0.0 what the ****?! That's the ******-******* conductor guy from that ******** show!" XD

Actually that's a lie. There was one other thing I had seen him in before that.

Last edited by UltraPrimal; 06-12-2010 at 12:49 AM.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast