Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-02-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
prime
Generation 2
Golden Disk Cards

Does anyone know if the Gold Disk Card Destinies list on TFWiki is accurate? I've noticed my Wave 3 figs are coming with wave 2 cards... and I was really looking forward to some new destinies.
prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:24 AM   #2
The Nemesis
Alternator
Re: Golden Disk Cards

I got a wave 3 Dinobot card in my Wingfinger. But that's the only wave 3 figure I have so far. I was hoping that the Ark and Rodimus would come with later cards, but I got wave 1 cards with both of them (Ark with Ark, Optimus with Rodimus).

The setup they explained doesn't entirely make sense anyway. Apparently there's supposed to be 5 card subjects, each of which having 3 different destinies. That would total 15 card variants. But according to press materials there are supposed to be 16 different cards. That would also match up with the fact that so far each of the first 3 waves has featured 4 specific card variants

Wave 1: Ark 1, Blackarachnia 1, Optimus 1, Dinobot 1

Wave 2: Ark 2, Optimus 2, Dinobot 2, Megatron 1

Wave 3: Ark 3, Blackarachnia 2, Dinobot 3, Megatron 2

Wave 4 (presumably): Optimus 3, Megatron 3, Blackarachnia 3, ???

This whole concept of the destiny cards has kind of been frustrating. I never got a Dinobot card from wave 1 (but somehow got like 4 Arks) and for wave 3 I've still got 4 purchases incoming but need to come away with 3 of the 4 cards in the set to complete that wave.

They really should've just stuck with the classic idea of making character-specific cards packed in with the corresponding figure and functioning as a sort of tech spec. This "gotta collect 'em all!" aspect is kind of silly because it means that you either have to luck out across all the figures in a wave that you buy (especially if you skip figures in a wave. Like I'm not buying the re-dos of Earthrise releases) or have to find someone to trade with.

At least it's not nearly as ridiculous as the Power of the Primes setup.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
prime
Generation 2

Thanks for the clarification!

That's funny, I just got around to opening up scorpy and he had a Dino3 as well! But like you, that's only wave 3 card that my wave 3 figs came with. At least I completed one character's set!

But yeah, totally agree it's a bad system - the Titans Returns/CW setup was better. If you like a character enough to buy the fig, then you're probably going to want their card more than any other character's card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dino.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	50063  
Old 09-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

I have yet to get a black arachnia but a bunch of the others
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
prime
Generation 2

It is fun to speculate what the 3rd destiny might be, even though I doubt I'll get them at this point. So far the first 2 seem to be low key while the last is more "out there". Hopefully they'll be more creative than just the transmetal transformation.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:53 PM   #6
The Nemesis
Alternator

Lol. I ordered a second Paleotrex so I could get to free shipping on an order that was mostly other cheap stuff. Thought maybe I might luck into the wave 1 dinobot card I missed. Nope. Another Ark. That's like my 5th one.

Hasbro should've offered a redemption program. Like how way back when if you bought stuff like those Panini sticker books you could send in wrappers and duplicate stickers you had to be able to get the ones you're missing. You should've been able to send them any card out of a given wave and get back a copy of a card you're missing on a 1-for-1 swap.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:36 AM   #7
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Hasbro should've offered a redemption program. Like how way back when if you bought stuff like those Panini sticker books you could send in wrappers and duplicate stickers you had to be able to get the ones you're missing. You should've been able to send them any card out of a given wave and get back a copy of a card you're missing on a 1-for-1 swap.
That was an option??!?!?!?

Damn, I spent most of my recess looking for people to trade my extra He-Man cards with. I think I eventually filled the book

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
The Nemesis
Alternator

The mystery of how it's 4 waves of 4 cards when the cards are 3 destinies each for 5 characters has been solved.

According to posters on TFW2005 the 16th card and 4th member of wave 4 is a one and only card for Unicron.

I believe everything has been revealed now except for what the 3rd Megatron destiny is. Though given the theme of the 3rd destinies of the characters it seems likely it might be unicron related (even though he's already had a card for becoming Galvatron)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobotz24 View Post
That was an option??!?!?!?

Damn, I spent most of my recess looking for people to trade my extra He-Man cards with. I think I eventually filled the book
Maybe it was just Panini that did it because stickers are cheaper than cards. But I remember the back of an nhl sticker book from the late 80s that I had where they gave an address and you had to send a couple of packages as proof of purchase, a dollar or two for return postage, a list of what you wanted (to a limit of a certain number of stickers. Like you couldn't ask for an entire book's worth) and I think duplicates that you had and in a few weeks they would send you what you asked for.

It worked for me (or rather my parents) becuase I didn't know anyone that collected what I did for me to be able to trade with.

And maybe it wasn't for every series. I still have a Transformers The Movie book that was never completedand it seems like if it could've been filled in it would've.

Last edited by The Nemesis; 09-11-2021 at 12:42 PM.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
The Nemesis
Alternator

I guess now I can more concretely address the OP's question about wave 2 cards coming in wave 3 figures: I got my walmart ordered Tracks and Pred Scorponok today and they both came with the wave 3 Megatron ("becomes Galvatron") card.

That means at 3/5 of my planned deluxe+ wave 3 figures acquired (I have no interest in re-purchasing ER Wheeljack) I'm still missing 2/4 cards (Blackarachnia and the Ark)
Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #10
prime
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I guess now I can more concretely address the OP's question about wave 2 cards coming in wave 3 figures: I got my walmart ordered Tracks and Pred Scorponok today and they both came with the wave 3 Megatron ("becomes Galvatron") card.

That means at 3/5 of my planned deluxe+ wave 3 figures acquired (I have no interest in re-purchasing ER Wheeljack) I'm still missing 2/4 cards (Blackarachnia and the Ark)
Thanks for the update. Pretty sure I'm not getting that Unicron card. I have a feeling that's going to be a rare item.

Based on the pics, I'm also disappointed they seemed to have rehashed some of the same art. Poor Prime seems to only have 2 "base" forms of his art. BlackA's last card is also just a tweak of an earlier card too. I haven't seen Megatron's last card, but I have a feeling to expect more the same for him