Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Poflymn
Beast Machine
Poflymn's Ebay Auctions
Best Way to "Seal" Chrome Parts

I recently picked up MP28 Hot Rodimus and of course he has a few pieces that are chrome painted. Given the history of chrome paint, what is the best way to "seal" the chrome parts while maintaining moveability of the parts? Is there such a thing?
Poflymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions
Re: Best Way to "Seal" Chrome Parts

Leave it MISB, problem solved.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Poflymn
Beast Machine
Poflymn's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Leave it MISB, problem solved.
Beats Wars...pretty much any figure with chrome...suggestion denied...
Poflymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #4
nuropa
Robot in Disguise

couple coating of Pledge / Future floor care is what most would recommend.
nuropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
JohnathanKong
Generation 2

That's what people have told me as well, pledge floor cleaner.
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
CanBot
Cybertron

There's tons of threads at TFW, recent ones as well, on this topic. There's one angle to the this, though, that I never thought of until somebody over mentioned it:

What are the potential 'side effects' of using Future on your toys? It apparently cleans up easily and all that, but could you imagine if at some point it becomes hazy, or something like that? Kinda like we're lacking 'long term studies' of the effects of Future on chrome parts I'm sure using it in the joints is no biggie (and most likely the chrome will be fine too) but I went out and bought all the stuff I needed to do just this without thinking about any potential negatives down the road. I mean, I plan on keeping these for literally decades.

But what's worse?...I just wish someone at Takara would just come up with some damn chrome that wears like the G1 stuff. I've got Insecticons from back in the day that still look fresh on the chrome bits...well, not the heavily played with ones, but let's just say that from mere display, they look fantastic.

The latest bunch of MPs could learn a lesson from ol' Kickback and the gang.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
What are the potential 'side effects' of using Future on your toys? It apparently cleans up easily and all that, but could you imagine if at some point it becomes hazy, or something like that? Kinda like we're lacking 'long term studies' of the effects of Future on chrome parts I'm sure using it in the joints is no biggie (and most likely the chrome will be fine too) but I went out and bought all the stuff I needed to do just this without thinking about any potential negatives down the road. I mean, I plan on keeping these for literally decades.
To each their own but I'd never put that stuff on chrome parts of figures that I actually cared about. If the natural oil from our hands can degrade chrome finish over the years, then I can only imagine what "Future" could do to it...especially when/if you go to remove it years later.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
elburrito
Animated

I have been doing some experimenting with Pledge (nee Future) and joints. The hypotheses is that Pledge will eventually seize a joint if the joint is not regularly manipulated.

So far I've had some great 'cracking' noises from the 60 day 'volunteers' (although nothing has actually stressed.:. or broken). The 90 day volunteers are due for testing in a couple of weeks.

As for sealer, I can understand why you would, but keep in mind that the chrome coating mostly comes off when the toy is handled. If it really just sits on the shelf (especially if it is a closing shelf) the chrome is unlikely to wear.

...yes, all my chrome coat has wear ...

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elburrito View Post
I have been doing some experimenting with Pledge (nee Future) and joints. The hypotheses is that Pledge will eventually seize a joint if the joint is not regularly manipulated.

So far I've had some great 'cracking' noises from the 60 day 'volunteers' (although nothing has actually stressed.:. or broken). The 90 day volunteers are due for testing in a couple of weeks.

As for sealer, I can understand why you would, but keep in mind that the chrome coating mostly comes off when the toy is handled. If it really just sits on the shelf (especially if it is a closing shelf) the chrome is unlikely to wear.

...yes, all my chrome coat has wear ...
Very interesting findings so far...
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
JohnathanKong
Generation 2

My guys are displayed because I love MP figures. touched the chrome then put them back in the case. Do I need to clean the oils off?
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote