Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Re: Collecting Watches

I have quite the collection of watches that're broken or otherwise no longer working because I never throw em away after buying a new one... does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I have quite the collection of watches that're broken or otherwise no longer working because I never throw em away after buying a new one... does that count?
Im going to say yes and no. It could be the start of hording.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I've got about 3 watches right now. I tend to rotate them out. 2 are "work appropriate" and the other is a a funkier watch that I wear when I go casual.

I've worn a watch since I was 10 or 11, So I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't tend to spend over $150 on them though, since I usually only wear them for a few years until the style changes and I want to get something new.

Vestal and Nixon are probably my two favorite brands currently.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

My watch "collection" now consists of 1 watch that represents something about all of the watches I have owned in my lifetime and a symbol of the foolhardy hastiness I sometimes succumb to.

It's a limited edition James Bond 007 Omega Seamaster that I bought on whim after the birth of my second child 2 years ago. Leading up to that pricey spur of the moment purchase I owned a SWATCH Irony 'Secret Agent' as a low budget attempt to emulate Bond's iconic Seamaster first seen in "Goldeneye". I think the SWATCH is still sitting at the bottom of a sock drawer so technically my watch collection really consists of 2 pieces.

Before the SWATCH (and my obvious James Bond obsession) I "borrowed" my fathers vintage Omega Flightmaster (c.911) during my University days which I truly regret. While being huge and cool looking that watch had no place being on the wrist of a smoking, drinking, partying University student. Needless to say, when I returned the watch to my dad a few years later he was not impressed with the scratches and nicks. I still plan to get that watch professionaly refurbished as a gift to my father one day...

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 04-02-2012 at 04:02 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Those are all more impressive then any watch I currently own.

My current favorite one is a Roots R586 Gravity:
Its nothing special, but it can take a licking.
I actually just toke it in to have the strap repaired as it has begun to split.

In regards to you restoring you dad's old watch, thats awesome. I find that in most families there is great pride and symbolism behind the owner ship of a timepiece. Your dad will most likly be very proud and apperciative of it.

Last edited by Gaetznes; 03-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Gaetznes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetz View Post
In regards to you restoring you dad's old watch, thats awesome. I find that in most families there is great pride and symbolism behind the owner ship of a timepiece. Your dad will most likly be very proud and apperciative of it.
Thanks, Hopefully I'll get around to saving the $2,000 it will cost to bring it back to "like new" condition sooner than later. I'm sure it'll be worth it considering it was the first watch he bought after immigrating to Canada back in 1970 and it's the watch I wore on my wedding day back in 2003.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

I wear a G-SHOCK on most days, but one day I am going to buy an Omega Seamaster a la James Bond.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

I'm sure I have a watch in a drawer somewhere. But I don't wear them. I'm never far from some electronic gizmo that keeps time.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus

I have two, the gold one is a ESP Bienne that I was given when I won 1st in my class for Autocross, in the 2005 Western Canadain Motorsport Championship. I'll wear it for special occasions. It stays in the tin and the battery is dead now.

The blue one is a Cardinal stopwatch. I picked it up about 11 years ago at a local jewlery store in the mall. It gets the most use. Obviously I used it quite a bit during motorsport, but nowadays it helps me make perfect medium rare steaks on the bbq.

Last edited by racerguy76; 03-28-2012 at 08:11 PM.
racerguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Someday I want to get a really good pocket watch. Something mechanical on a chain that I have to wind, and copper/brass/gold coloured and the little button I have to press to open the cover. So far I've got a cheap substitute that's suitable for my Steampunk costume, but I want something real and something that looks vintage.

I know I'll probably be hunting for a long time, and probably pay out the nose for it. So I'm in no rush.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote