Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 03:28 AM   #11
alternatorfan
g1 baby
Re: **SPOILERS** - Netflix Kingdom, your thoughts?

It was enjoyable.
I liked nemesis and galvatron working together.
At least now the toys make sense.
Lol.
Part 4??
Who is galvatron and nemesis prime gonna be turned into from unicron??
Awesome.
I dont think the voice actors of the original beast wars would fit as dino megs seemed suck holey.
And for yessssss.
The original dinomegs was tough.

Last edited by alternatorfan; 07-30-2021 at 03:32 AM.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

Watched it all last night and I have to say that Kingdom was the best of the three. The female cast (especially Black Arachnia), Bumblebee and Rhinox were the best of the voice actors with Starscream being not so bad and Prime being the absolute worst closely followed by Primal.
Visually it was well done as you don't really see that style done anywhere (or I don't anyway).
The story telling seems really off with how things are rushed through so quickly. How did Optimus become Nemesis and why? Why did the Maximals join him before coming to Earth?
There are far too many characters and most of them just feel like background filler. There are so many we need more episodes to properly flesh out the characters and actually care enough to live or hate them. I liked how they did Dinobot but absolutely hated BW Megatron. I did enjoy his fight scenes though.
Overall, I'm glad I watched it but it's not worth going back for seconds. Best thing about this series is the toys we got out of it
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

So ah, what happened to Soundwave after the Dinobot fight? That looked pretty final but he shows up immediately after with no comment...
Old 07-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
MaverickCSX
Generation 2

I liked it. But agree that the voice acting was lacking for most of the characters...

But hey.. we got a new Transformers series and the toys that came with it... and hopefully more to come?
MaverickCSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #15
DestronDecepticon23
Generation 2

I didn't downright despise this part of the trilogy but certainly did not really get anything out of it either. I just think it's really sad that the first time we revisit BW character in full force that we got what we got... Many of the voices just did not fit... if getting the originals was off the table I wish they would have at least tried to go for impressionists. I suppose Blackarachnia while sounding different probably sounded the best to me since that kind of voice does feel like it could be a version of her. It differs but somehow feels like it respects the character. I think probably the worst offenders were Megatron and Primal... they just deserved better casting. Guess that's all to say too that I don't have issues with the voice actors themselves but more like the production and direction decisions that were made for these characters. Like I felt Dinobot's VA gave a good performance, but the voice itself just didn't seem to match the character that much to me. It's definitely a subjective opinion though.

Kind of just wish we had actually started the Beast stuff back in Earthrise just because we would have had more time to develop characters and Earthrise as a whole just feels a lot more filler-y now. Also feel like when we get to see characters for the first time again, they don't need to slavishly repeat the things they once did before. I feel they didn't need to repeat Dinobot's arc beat for beat. Felt like his heroic sacrifice didn't serve the same function it did in BW. This version of him was just introduced an in the span of a few eps dies off... don't feel like there's a reason to care for him to the extent of the original. Like he just seems like another casualty of the show. Don't think it was necessary for him to almost repeat word for word his little speech and even have a VERY similar scene with the Maximals as he dies. If they were to do something outright slavishly fanservice-y would have liked it if they had worked in the original transformation sounds for the Predacons and Maximals... just felt kinda weird that they had the G1 sounds for their transformations. Also just not a big fan of Elita and co's offscreen fates...

I guess out of the things I did like, the series as a whole sort of built on this but I enjoyed how Prime wasn't portrayed as this paragon of flawlessness. It's just sort of refreshing for once to have him feel more human in that respect. Think it was really cool that he somehow got reformatted along with Megatron into Nemesis Prime by Unicron. Always find it interesting when Nemesis Prime in fiction has ties to Unicron. Now I suppose the question is was he truly antagonistic on his own as a result of this actions or was it due to Unicron's influence? Not sure how likely we are to get another season but I do like the idea at the end that Galvatron and Nemesis get reformatted once again. If we ever get to see what the results were, I'd LOVE to see absolutely new characters added to the franchise or at least drastically different designs for them. Think it was really cool how Starscream had a conversation with Unicron too and kind of went a little mad as a result. At the end of the series couldn't help but wonder what it would be like had Starscream been reformatted. Think another nice thing to note was that a lot of the backgrounds of this show were done quite nicely as well as a bunch of the environments and lighting effects. Would love to see a fully realized BW show with those elements at least.

Guess as a whole The WFC Trilogy had some interesting ideas here and there but I think ultimately it'll just be one of those series that aren't memorable and do not get revisited very much (Once again, mileage may vary). Hope whatever comes in the future will actually add to TF lore as a whole and gives us some cool new ideas.

Current Hunt:
Breakdown
Twincast
DestronDecepticon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #16
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Just like anything Bay did after the first 2 movies, I barely sat through siege, couldn't get past episode 2 of Earthrise and won't even try to watch Kingdom.

My hopes were high but this trilogy isn't doing the fanbase (or potentially new fans) any favors.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #17
TZX123
Beasty

Why does this kingdom beast Megatron act like inferno from beast wars?

"For the royalty, my queen!!"
TZX123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #18
Solauren
Generation 1

My thoughts -

Visually - it was good, and toy/cartoon accuracy is great. (People are complaining about Galvatrons face not matching the toy. Okay, fine. I think they were doing what they did with the original transformers movie, and hiding Galvatrons connection to Megatron until the movie was out)

Pacing was bad, mostly caused by them all talking... so... freaking... slow..., and then them all moving... so... freaking... slow....

Each episode, if things had been paced better, and by that I mean speed of movement and speaking, would have been half the time. Ironically, that would have also allowed for more story telling that would clean up my issues with the series.

It was watchable, but felt like a 3 - 4 episode arc from the G1 era that got stretched out to 18 episodes.

Season 1 (Siege) was good. Anything that was introduced was explained. More character development would have been good.

Season 2 (Earthrise) was rushed. Way rushed. Too much was introduced without a lot of explanation. Anyone not familiar with Transformers would be wondering what the hell a Quintesson was, what Dead Space was, and who the hell Scorponok was, or who Unicron is.

Season 3 (Kingdom) made up for this by being rather straight forward, with quick explanations (comparable to Season 1s)

Overall, I'd give the series a B-.

Now, for my final nitpick, the common nitpick
The Voice acting.

The Voice actors all did a good job, with the material. If this was the first Transformers cartoon, A+.

However, and this is not the voice actors fault, nothing really matched up to how it should be, based on previous series. Yes, different continualities, etc, but this was CLEARLY G1/Beast Wars inspired. Matching up the voice actors and personalities would have have been awesome, and make the other issues easily forgiveable.
Solauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:28 AM   #19
Sentinel2002
Generation 1

I am halfway through episode 3. Dinobot paraphrases part of his speech from Code of Hero to justify changing sides to Air Razor. I don't think they stuck the landing with that.

I could everything else a pass but that took me out of it. Well, everything except some of the voice work. I would put more blame on the voice director maybe?
Sentinel2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:07 AM   #20
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel2002 View Post
I am halfway through episode 3. Dinobot paraphrases part of his speech from Code of Hero to justify changing sides to Air Razor. I don't think they stuck the landing with that.

I could everything else a pass but that took me out of it. Well, everything except some of the voice work. I would put more blame on the voice director maybe?
Yeah.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote