Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Ebay Selling Conundrum

So, this whole situation is just weird. I had a listing up on Ebay selling a Legends scale Iron Factory Heat Death figure (Transmetal 2 Megatron). I just recieved an email today from Ebay stating that the listing was removed due to Hasbro Inc. reporting it.

For the listing title, I did put Megatron in it. It was written as follows: Iron Factory EX-42 Heat Death (TM2 Megatron) (excellent condition, read descrip)

In the message, this was the reasoning behind the removal of the listing:
- Your listing was reported by Hasbro Inc. for using their brand name inappropriately. eBay’s Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) program offers intellectual property owner(s) a way to report listings that they believe infringe on their rights
- Brand names cannot be used in listings if the product isn’t manufactured by, or compatible with, that brand. You may use "compatible with", "fits", or "for" before a brand name, if the item described is specifically designed to be compatible with the products of that brand
-- Using a trademark owner's logos without permission is not allowed.
- If you believe a mistake has been made, you will need to contact the rights owner directly. If the rights owner approves your appeal, please have them contact us directly to reinstate your listing(s)

You can send an email to:
brandprotection@mm-hasbro.com

So is Hasbro going to start going after small sellers on Ebay and other sites for selling 3rd Party products that use the actual name of the character? This seems so petty. They're acting as if I'm a large retail chain selling multiple products that use their branding. The other odd thing is that there are other listings on Ebay for the exact same figure which also use the name Megatron in their title and they haven't been removed.

Regardless, this is very weird. Has anyone else run into this problem before? Makes you think is Hasbro going to start shutting down websites that sell 3rd Party Transformers etc.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Ebay Selling Conundrum

How petty and childish can Hasbro be?
I can no longer respect anything about that company. They put old rich man money over fans. Alienate anyone not in 'medical. I think the writing is on the wall and they are in wayyy more trouble financially than they admit. Bigger they are, harder they fall.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
NightshadeX
Robot Master
NightshadeX's Ebay Auctions

I had that happen to me once before. It's random and annoying as I had sold a number of things before getting hit ("Omega Supreme" I think).

What sucks is it was my second time and I wondered about the second time and the first was like 10 years ago selling authentic Babylon 5 DVD fatpack and I said "discs are identical to the thinpak" and that got struck as on the apparent belief it was fake (no it meant it was the fat pack for those that weren't aware of it). And even though I explained it wasn't and seemed to be accepted, the strike is still on my record. VERY annoying.
NightshadeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Lioconvoy81
Beasty

Probably a bot from their legal department.

Annoying, but doubt it means any doom on the horizon.
Lioconvoy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
CyberDragon10K
Predacon Rising

There's so much automation now that I doubt an actual person pulls the trigger on any of these sorts of ceases/desists anymore.
CyberDragon10K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #6
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

Maybe put "Resembles TM2 Megatron" in the brackets instead of just the name.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDragon10K View Post
There's so much automation now that I doubt an actual person pulls the trigger on any of these sorts of ceases/desists anymore.
It's not even a warning though, the listing is just removed. I can't even view the listing anymore, permanently deleted.

I've never had this issue before and I've sold tons of Transformers (many of them third party) and used the actual names too. What I don't really understand is was it the name in the title which triggered them or something in the description? This really messes with listing these types of items in the future. On top of that, there are still listings on Ebay of items like the KO MP-10 Optimus Prime and, in the title of the listing plus in the descriptions, the sellers use the actual name as well. No ones going after them, but when someone is just selling one figure, Hasbro singles that seller out and attacks. It's really ridiculous and petty on their part. I'm probably going to send them an email regarding this.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 07-17-2021 at 08:08 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

I had a listing removed because I had the name transformers weijiang in it. Guessing its automated, relist without transformers in the title.
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
MilanX3
Nexus Maximus

Maybe list it as Meganatron? Susietron? Francesca?
MilanX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Just don't include any official Transformers name and you have a better chance at it not getting removed.

Buyers who look for it will know to search it by it's Third party name
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote