Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Common 'bewares' for MP figures?

I've read some posts about things like, say, some screws that are part of MP-10 that scratch plastic if you're not careful with the transformation. I think there's some warnings like that for Soundwave as well.

Is there a post that has these "you should know this before you transform this MP" all in one place? Rather than have to find out the hard way. Going through each of the MPs 'quality control issues' threads would be a monumental task, so hopefully there is some 'one stop shopping'. And I'm sure there's not a whole lot of warnings, but for instance, until I started reading about MP10 and the matrix issue where if it's not flipped a certain way, it won't allow the windows to close properly in alt mode...but I had never heard about it before I found the issue myself.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
elburrito
Animated
Re: Common 'bewares' for MP figures?

Not sure of a specific issue with any Takara MP (I'm sure there are some), but (with one exception) I have never found a transformers toy that requires any real pressure to secure a step of transformation. Generally, if you have to push hard or if the piece "bounces" back after you secure it, something is wrong with the transformation.

The exception is MP Prowl, Bluestreak. Smokescreen. Getting the hood to come off its little slot going from robot to vehicle takes a bit of a push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
I've read some posts about things like, say, some screws that are part of MP-10 that scratch plastic if you're not careful with the transformation. I think there's some warnings like that for Soundwave as well.

Is there a post that has these "you should know this before you transform this MP" all in one place? Rather than have to find out the hard way. Going through each of the MPs 'quality control issues' threads would be a monumental task, so hopefully there is some 'one stop shopping'. And I'm sure there's not a whole lot of warnings, but for instance, until I started reading about MP10 and the matrix issue where if it's not flipped a certain way, it won't allow the windows to close properly in alt mode...but I had never heard about it before I found the issue myself.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Rev
Addict

Grimlock's crotch plate gets scratched during transformation.
MP 9 has weak joints. I've never transformed my Hasbro version.

That's about all I know. All my MP figures still look amazing and I've transformed them all many times, except Rodimus.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Msol
Titanium

God I hate popping the hood off of the Datsuns. Scary stuff.

Be very gentle with MP Hot Rod. Especially the legplates.

I've somehow managed to scratch the top of MP-10 (Op's) chrome bumper on the top left. A good 2 or 3mm somehow. No idea what I did, but it sucks.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
DesertDog
Beast Machine

The small double joints that hold on the jets wings make me nervous, the small c-clip bars that hold the horizontal tailfins on as well.

Bee's face apparently can get scratched if it's not correctly positioned for car mode.

The wee fender parts on the Datsun bros can be tricky to get turned around on my Prowl, Silverstreak not so much, I don't have Smokesceen.

And Mp-5 Megatron should only be handled by professionals. His hip and upper thighs alone have around 20 points of movement on tiny pieces, and unclipping his shoulders literally makes me break out in a sweat. Do not rush it. I think there is a YouTube video that shows how, as the instructions are a little vague here and there.

I think there's pictorial instructions either here or on TFW2005 on how to properly line up Rodimus' feet and legs, in addition to the laundry list of other issues. I don't know if there is an all in one list of MP tips, seems like this thread might do for one though.

Isn't it funny that as adults we need tutorials to teach us how to not break our toys? I swear I could transform Sky Lynx blindfolded into any configuration in 30 seconds. In the time it takes to work MP Megs back and forth, I can watch a whole G1 episode.
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
bishop
Generation 2

I got two:
1) Be very cautious with bumble's flap, near the windshield. The one that flips inside the torso. This part is only a few mms thick and very fragile.

2) the tabs on lambor's windshield could easily break during transformation.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Beware MP-05 and MP-09 at all costs.

Too general?

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
CanBot
Cybertron

Thanks guys, this is the stuff I'm talking about. Maybe we can get a sticky going if there's enough collected, verified data.

I think a common one is the wing tips for Hasbro Buzzsaw/Ravage, they're pretty delicate.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #9
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Mp 10 Hasbro has screws that will scratch the bumper inside.

Wheeljack's wings are weak, they don't need to be bent for transformation if you are careful and watching.

Mp3 mold is a piece of crap. Five versions of the mold have then through my hands, not one had two unbroken wing joints, thankfully fixed on mp11

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #10
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

MP-05's diecast WILL rust. It's not a question of "if".

Thus mine has a rusty spinal column and feet. And that's before getting into how tricky that transformation is and how it's easy to accidentally break tabs.

Re: MP-09, the Hasbro one reportedly has springs that are too strong in the shoulders that will eventually overstress the plastic.