Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician
Re: Does Masterpiece supply meet demand?

I still think that MP is considered as a very limited release and if hasbro over saturates the market with them then it is not a collectors piece it is just another mainline toy !!! yes it sucks that people over buy but that is the allure of these pieces is that they are so limited and I don't believe that hasbro is shafting us by only releasing limited numbers but making it easier for your collection to have value.

Other that G1 and Rares, MP is the only line that goes up in value after the initial release and I for one like that if hasbro makes to many and these things showed up at say Real Canadian Superstore or Winners or GT then in all honesty they would hold no aftermarket value

Last edited by Masta_Skidz; 09-01-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
Short supply MPs also bring out the worst in us, the fans. So many of us stop looking to help each other, and instead start hoarding, scalping, and making our fellow local fans dance for a chance at the few available. I've seen some helping going on, but also a lot of shenanigans and scalping. And shady deals with employees too, meaning some get a bunch of the hot MP figure without the figure ever being available to anyone else.

And I don't like the feeling I get myself into, of having to compete and scrounge and that I start resenting fellow collectors.

Definitely the worst side of the hunt. And new since MP10. For Grimlock and Rodimus I remember everyone helping each other so much, but it all changed with the MP10 shortage.

So I have a LOT of hope for the new pre-order system, that if it goes through with SW then maybe every MP release won't be such a giant cluster f***.
indeed. And I decide I won't even bother spend too much time in hunting MP now. Since with the same money I can buy other great toys, like chogokin, brave series, Macross etc. I'm perfectly fine with a few MP missing in my collections.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
Johnstewling
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarite View Post
At least there was stock to have gotten. we got none. Not stock that disappeared, we got NONE! absolutely no Soundwave figures entered Atlantic Canada to date. I am not kidding at all.
Masterpiece Soundwave was at TRU Saint John, TRU Moncton, and TRU Fredericton 2 weeks ago. I bought mine then.
Johnstewling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
Msol
Titanium

If you want an investment, buy stocks and bonds. Toys are a terrible investment 99% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
I still think that MP is considered as a very limited release and if hasbro over saturates the market with them then it is not a collectors piece it is just another mainline toy !!! yes it sucks that people over buy but that is the allure of these pieces is that they are so limited and I don't believe that hasbro is shafting us by only releasing limited numbers but making it easier for your collection to have value.

Other that G1 and Rares, MP is the only line that goes up in value after the initial release and I for one like that if hasbro makes to many and these things showed up at say Real Canadian Superstore or Winners or GT then in all honesty they would hold no aftermarket value
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #35
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Goaliebot said it right. After the MP10 debacle it's everyone looking out for themselves. (Well, not everyone, but a lot). You have to wonder how many that did see them instores and bought more than one claiming the other was for a friend/member actually did give it to them. Almost willing to bet any additional MPs bought were meant for scalping. (not in all cases, but you can't deny it's happening)

I was a lucky in getting MP10 in store. I had to go everyday for a week to get him and even then he wasn't on the shelf. I went to customer service where the shady rep said they were in transit. The manager was standing right behind her and said there was one more in the back. As he went to get it the cs rep tried to convince we there wasn't one and she would give me a rain check and try again in a few days. Out came the manager with one in hand! I'm pretty sure the rep had planned on making a shady deal on the side or buying it for themselves.

Last edited by razin; 09-01-2013 at 02:11 PM.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #36
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post

I definitely get where you're coming from, but I'd differ on that myself. I get no enjoyment from MPs being scarce or rare or not everyone having one, nor from them appreciating in resale value per se. I enjoy them because they are awesome figures, and I want every fan to have one.

I guess it becomes a question of what MPs are, exactly, and what the majority of the fandom wants them to be (rare collectable or part of every collection).
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #37
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I am not saying that my collection is an investment at all what I am saying is that companies make limited runs of what they "consider" to be a collectible it is not just hasbro. I was just trying to make the point that there is a reason to limited supply and I for one understand why companies do this.
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #38
Nazarite
Masterpiece Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstewling View Post
Masterpiece Soundwave was at TRU Saint John, TRU Moncton, and TRU Fredericton 2 weeks ago. I bought mine then.
When I said we 'had none' I was referring to Nova Scotia. I did not realize that some reached NB as I don't remember any one mentioning it on the sightings thread.
I'm glad the hear that some made it east. I stopped hunting and watching once the second round of pre-orders ran.

Last edited by Nazarite; 09-01-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Nazarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
Robbler
Machine War

I think I'm gonna give up the dream of owning an MP Soundwave. TRU never seems to have them when I'm there and buying one at a ridiculous aftermarket price ain't cool.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #40
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbler View Post
I think I'm gonna give up the dream of owning an MP Soundwave. TRU never seems to have them when I'm there and buying one at a ridiculous aftermarket price ain't cool.
Shoulda pre-ordered. They gave us 3 chances to order it.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote