Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
pud333
Animated
Collection Regrets!

I went through a phase as a kid when I destroyed my toys just for the sake of destroying them. When I think back on it now, I remember how I used to blow up toys with firecrackers, etc.

I recently had this startling memory come back to me. I had received Jetfire as a Christmas present one year. I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember shortly thereafter, I used my Tonka toy truck to basically smash Jetfire into the wall repeatedly until he was nothing but a mangled mess. To top it off, I grabbed him by the leg and basically began using him as a hammer, thrashing my other G1 toys with it.

I think about that now, and how I wish I could go back in time and slap the sh*t out of myself and scream, "You idiot! What have you done!"

Anyone else have any bizarre collecting regrets like this, or is it just me?

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
montague78
Re: Collection Regrets!

hahahahaha oh the violence!!!
Well mine wasn't as brutal as that but this was when i was in my 1st or 2nd year in college. Beast Wars rekindled my fire for Transformers. I loved the characters, storyline and jokes. So i started collecting them. Beginning with Prime, then megs, then the rest of them on and not on the show. the only ones i was missing was rattrap and cheetor. They were hard as balls to find. So i made it up by getting the TM ones. My room became a Beast Wars sanctuary!!
Then as i was close to graduating i thought i had grown out of this "phase". So i decided to give them all to my 2 yr old nephew........who eventually destroyed them!! Oh man do i regret doing that now!!! He had them in pieces in a pile with his other broken stuff bin. There's not a day that goes by where i don't kick myself in the ass for this! Uuuugh!!!! Although a good batch was given to my other 11 yr old nephew who has them displayed in his room like a good boy. And i was able to salvage a half broken Optimal Optimus and TM2 Megs w/ broken right foot.

And let me tell you TM2 megs is dam hard to transform! lolzz!!!

OH S**T!!
montague78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Protoman
The Legend

I had a friend that was like that too, his father use to let him play with his B-B guns. So my friend took his entire Reboot collection of toys and blew them to pieces........ poor Bob.... his arms and legs were everywhere =(
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Optimus_Prime
Teensformer

I remember giving away my first TF, Dinobot Striker, after it mas in pieces. I don't know if it was actually broken, though, but if it was that was my regret. If it wasn't, I regret letting my parents give it away. I also regret letting my Armada Optimus Prime fall down the stairs so many times, the electronics haven't been working in the longest while, as well as minor damages to his cab area. There was also a time that I brought my original 20th anniv. Prime with me on a vacation and the paint on the legs was slagged when I got back thanks to the people at the airport that search your luggage.

Last edited by Optimus_Prime; 07-19-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Optimus_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

My only regreat was not collecting beastwars sooner..

I was pretty good to my toys as a kid
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

My Transformers never really had any grief as a kid, but I wish I could say the same for my GI Joes.

Most of them had a battle with my parents Treadmill one day and as a result of that, they got some major "road" rash.

I can remember one kid I invited over once came over and started pulling the hands off a bunch of my TMNT figures. He was not invited back.

The best though was when I was playing with Dive-Dive from Gobots in an overgrown puddle behind my house. I lost him in the muck and I thought he was gone forever.

The next spring I found him in the same Puddle and I still have him to this day!
Cheers Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

My only TF collection regret is selling off all of my originals at a garage sale to a lady across the street. Who knew that when I thought I was growing out of these stupid little pieces of plastic crack that I would grow back into them many many years later. This is definitely a "I wish I could go back and slap myself upside the head" kind of moment, or at least go back and buy the damn toys off of myself.

There was also a time when one of my sisters friends busted the head off of Optimus Prime. At first I was upset about it, but them thought it was cool because he could be like the Optimus in the G1 comics (early couple of issues when Shockwave had Prime beheeaded).

GI Joe... that was a different story. I got to the stage in my life where realistic battles were more fun. I remember torching/blowing up a Rattler, sending Snake-eyes down the vent on an excavation mission, and sending Shipwreck down a river in that little orage boat (I don't remember the name of it). Some other solider jumped down a storm sewer when his vehicle went speeding over it... although this one was an accident versus the others that were intentional.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
StarScreamix
Generation 1
StarScreamix's Ebay Auctions

I sold my Sky Lynx for I think $10 at a garage sale.... VERy glad they did a reissue. and that $10 buck over 10 years ago must be worth like $40 bucks now so I didn't loose out too much.

Also, I messed up my Hotrod, and my Targetmaster Sideswipe(i think that was it) in grade two while playing in the sandbox with them... Transformers + Sand = BRICKBOTS.
StarScreamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
My only TF collection regret is selling off all of my originals at a garage sale to a lady across the street. Who knew that when I thought I was growing out of these stupid little pieces of plastic crack that I would grow back into them many many years later. This is definitely a "I wish I could go back and slap myself upside the head" kind of moment, or at least go back and buy the damn toys off of myself.

There was also a time when one of my sisters friends busted the head off of Optimus Prime. At first I was upset about it, but them thought it was cool because he could be like the Optimus in the G1 comics (early couple of issues when Shockwave had Prime beheeaded).

GI Joe... that was a different story. I got to the stage in my life where realistic battles were more fun. I remember torching/blowing up a Rattler, sending Snake-eyes down the vent on an excavation mission, and sending Shipwreck down a river in that little orage boat (I don't remember the name of it). Some other solider jumped down a storm sewer when his vehicle went speeding over it... although this one was an accident versus the others that were intentional.
the orange boat was the "devil fish" right/i did that too!!!same with firecrackers in figs like prime,blaster and soundwave.then i went through the "barbeque" phase.i was so amazed as a kid at how everything just pooled into a big black puddle of plastic in the corner of dads bbq.then came the "battle damage phase which consisted of me ruining my dads soldering iron to get scrapes/bullet holes in both my tfs and gijoe vehicles like the tiger force rattler.when i was done with it it wasnt yellow no more.ah regrets....
Old 07-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
pud333
Animated

lol. These are all great stories! To add to the memories, my mother gave away all my toys for free once I hit university (TF's, He-man, GI Joe, Ninja Turtles, etc.) but I didn't care because they were all destroyed. But she also gave away my comic book collection. Now, I had a very extensive Marvel collection, with some really cool comics. We're talking first appearance of Venom, first Gambit, Spiderman fighting the hulk with those special powers, plus tonnes of old X-men comics, etc. There were five or six full boxes. She sold them all without my knowledge to a local comic shop for $25 per box. Now, I don't blame my mom, cause she didn't know any better (even though she should have). What I can't stand is how the comic shop owner took advantage of her not knowing. There were mint comics in there worth $25 alone. I'll never forgive that guy.

The only thing I managed to salvage was one box full of my Image and Valiant comics. Wildcats, Spawn, Savage Dragon, Harbinger, etc. Still have all the original starter few issues of each series. Don't know what they're worth now. Probably nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
This is definitely a "I wish I could go back and slap myself upside the head" kind of moment, or at least go back and buy the damn toys off of myself.
I've often thought about going back to buy the toys off younger self before I destroyed them, but I figure there's some rules against that. It would probably mess up the space-time continuum if my past and future self interacted.

Last edited by pud333; 07-19-2008 at 12:19 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote