Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > Tech Support Forum and Site Rules

Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Proposed change to the sightings forum format.

Quite often I'll go there trying to find out if anything new has been seen in my area only to find that most of the posts completely fail to mention what store the figures were seen in or even in which city/area they were found! I have to look over that the poster's info and hope that they've actually put where they are from.

I propose we adopt the format they use over on the Allspark's sightings forums:

Date:
Time:
Store(s)/Area: ("Area", where applicable, meaning like how Toronto can be broken down into it's constituent boroughs like North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, etc. Because just saying a Walmart in Toronto really doesn't narrow it down.)
City:
Notes:

This way all the pertinent information is quick and easy to see, and you can make any notes at the bottom like "Only two Tailgate's left." for example.
This will also make using the search function easier.

I think this change would really streamline things.

Also, admins, would it be possible to delete the old sightings at some point every new year? I just don't see the point in keeping 7 year old sightings.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
legenddkillaa
Banned
Re: Proposed change to the sightings forum format.

Is this the Ukraine?
legenddkillaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Is this really a big issue?

I mean you can tell approximate date and time just by looking at when the post was made. I just peeked into the Ontario sightings and to me most of the posts in the last four pages mention location and what was sighted already. I usually only check the BC sightings and most of the sightings there list location and what was sighted already, too.

I know it's not always perfect, and some posts you have to filter out the info, but some people post sightings using their phone to get the info out ASAP and for myself phones aren't exactly easy to format text on. If I had to format my sightings posts like that, I wouldn't bother using my phone. I'd wait till I got home, and maybe I'd post the sighting if I remember, which would make the info hours out of date.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
justprime
Animated

It is relavant if your near or not near,... can make the difference of your taking the time to travel and pick up that piece that you cannot find in your local store or pay the higher scalpers prices,.. for example I live out in the country side north/west of orangeville as such every things an hour (s) drive so if someone see a piece I am looking for (say MP10 prime which we I never did see on a store shelf BTW) I at least can make the decision to chance the drive to try and purchase it ( I say try cause an hour can make a big difference ) for that piece I always post a sighting with location ,...its a common curtisy for fellow collectrs and as previously stated the post has a date marked ...
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

I realise all of this, however with the format I propose you wouldn't have to "filter out the info" because it's all right there!

It would also make using the search filter MUCH easier.

As it is now if I'm looking for Tailgate (which I am), I have to just search for Tailgate because I can't search for Toronto, or North York, because not everybody puts that information, and thus I'm inundated by sightings from all across Ontario.

We shouldn't have to "filter out the info", we shouldn't have to hope that a poster has put their actual location in their profile and not something funny or snarky.

I truly don't understand the resistance to making everybody's life easier. Just because something has always been one way doesn't mean that it couldn't or shouldn't change.

So some people might have trouble posting that format on their phones. So what? So maybe there might be a few off format posts, or maybe those people will just have to either remember to edit the post when they get home, or just wait till they get home to post. God forbid we ask someone to use their brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenddkillaa View Post
Is this the Ukraine?
What?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I am not in favor of an enforced sightings format. Too many lines for the info offered. Maybe it's just the Alberta sightings but most people are good at saying 'south common Walmart' or whatever.

I mean what will you give infractions or discipline to people who don't use thr format? No thanks.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Tarantulas
Tripredacus Council Agent

While I respect the idea, I honestly think everything's just fine the way it is.

From my own experience, everyone's pretty capable when it comes to describing the area/store/location of the item, etc... I just check the most recent posts which doesn't take long at all. Besides, anything from a month ago probably isn't relevant anyhow.. but I appreciate that such information is NOT deleted, as it's good to have a record, historically speaking... for example, should I happen to miss out on an item entirely, I appreciate having the capability to find out how long ago and other such details... there's no reason to delete these records.
Tarantulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

We will certainly listen to the feedback and discuss the suggestion.

All I can offer right now is that we will not be deleting older sightings as it would affect member post counts.

Also as someone who has been here almost from the start it is kinda fun to sometimes go back and revisit 2007 on the sightings thread

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Subroutine
Generation 1
Subroutine's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenddkillaa View Post
Is this the Ukraine?
In Ukraine thread sights you!
Subroutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

IMHO any sighting that's more than a week old isn't really worth much. From my observations, on average the number of BC sightings posted per day is less than 5. I try to peek into the sightings any time there are new post just to see what's out there. It takes up less than a minute every day to keep up. When I'm looking for something all I usually have to do is back up a page and skim the last weeks worth of sightings which is usually less than 35 short posts. That takes me less time than typing in a search.

IMHO if you enforce a format it makes people less likely to post a timely sighting because it's a hassle to format things to an exacting standard on a phone or to to have to return on a desktop and edit a post because it wasn't formatted right.

Also if I don't post A sighting from my phone then there's a good chance I'll forget. I'm sure it'll be like that for others too and the net result is less sightings posted. Personally, I'd rather have the unformatted sightings than no sightings at all.