Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions
Shelflife

So whatever happened to ShelfLife? Saw they had their success on Dragon's Den, and that was it... I don't even see their site advertised on this site anymore.
Their site still shows as in BETA still.

Anyone got any news on that?
chovner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: Shelflife

Curious on that as well
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Cerebros
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovner View Post
So whatever happened to ShelfLife? Saw they had their success on Dragon's Den, and that was it... I don't even see their site advertised on this site anymore.
Their site still shows as in BETA still.

Anyone got any news on that?
Just because they agreed to a deal on Dragons Den, doesn't necessarily mean the deal went through.

To be completely honest, I didn't see the appeal of that website.
Cerebros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

I saw them at 80s Toy Expo so I know they're still around.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Megatron75
Alternator

I thought that it was a terrific idea. The only problem that I had with it, which has nothing to do with shelfLife itself, was that nothing I ever wanted was ever for sale. I would search for various items to buy and it would always say, "Whomp, whomp. There're no (fill in the blank)'s for sale". I seemed like some people were using it as a way of "managing" their collection. Despite the often outrageous pricing, eBay usually has multiples of whatever I'm looking for (for obvious reasons, of course).
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Many of us spent a lot of time curating catalogs, myself included, under the impression we would be rewarded with commission of sales for any items that were sold from catalogs that we curated.

I have 5 catalogs curated. I have never seen a cent/credits for any sales. Of course this could be attributed to a sale never actually occurring, however, we have no way to tell if a sale has occurred.

In regards to Dragon's Den, it was my understanding Shelflife actually declined the offer after the fact, or placed it on hold. Don't hold me to this but I am sure I read something of that nature awhile back.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

I created and curated 24 catalogs. I did not care for any commissions. I did it because I'm an IT nerd and I like web development and wanted to create some new catalogs that represent parts of my collection. I also loved learning about the various lines and all the figures out there I never heard of. A perfect example is when I built the e-HOBBY catalog. Wow, that was hard but so informative and interesting to me.

I like the idea of having an online check list of what I own and want but where this site lacks is there is no way to get any type of info back from this system like any sort of statistics about the nature of my collection, other than haves and wants. I would love to know how many G1s I own and how many I still need at a click of a button. Like a reports feature that I can print out or email.

The other issue is some of the catalogs were not being updated for ages so really I lost interest in updating mine too. I haven't seen this site move forward or new catalogs being added in a while. So why put all that hard work and time in if people don't seem to be using it.

If the owner is out there, give us an update please. This site had potential and I thought after this Dragon's Den thing, the site was going to be revamped.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Megatron75
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
I like the idea of having an online check list of what I own and want but where this site lacks is there is no way to get any type of info back from this system like any sort of statistics about the nature of my collection, other than haves and wants. I would love to know how many G1s I own and how many I still need at a click of a button. Like a reports feature that I can print out or email.
A "reports" feature would be a really cool idea and would certainly be useful to many collectors. I still think that the site has a tonne of potential. I just don't see it replacing eBay or even the boards for that matter but I'm sure that wasn't their intention. It has a lot of great information about parts needed to complete a figure, etc. Hopefully we see this live up to its potential after all the hard work that has clearly been put into it.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

The updating of catalogs is tough to a certain degree because there is information that curators can't control or create. We are dependent on the people who are there to create the titles if we have to add new waves for example. I did a massive realignment of the Rescue Bots catalogs over a month ago and submitted them for approval and I haven't heard anything back even after I emailed them for it to be finalized or feedback if changes were needed. I too didn't do it for compensation, I did it because I genuinely wanted to be a part of something I could help "build" to contribute to our respective hobby. As many have said the catalogs are so far out of date and with no momentum to drive it, we will never have a full accounting of our collections. I use another site to track what I have and Shelflife as a banner to help keep awareness of it but who knows that may change for me and many others I'm sure. As far as sales go I have only bought one thing, which was broken despite the owner saying it was flawless and every other item I asked to buy or if it was available. I have to this date never heard once back from them and the questions are still posted so buying or selling on Shelflife are major "not on your lifes" for me

Last edited by wervenom; 05-28-2015 at 05:19 PM.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
wedge1021
Energon

Same story as MULTIPLEX and wervenom for me. I'm curator for lots of the more recent Star Wars figure lines, as well as all the SW Micro Machines. I put a lot of work into those initially, but fell behind a bit more recently. Now I see they haven't posted a new catalog since January, so I'm wondering if there's a point to me catching up at the moment. I've got one in the queue, but no response from them. It's too bad, I had fun doing the work, and enjoyed the site although there are a few navigation issues that could make it run a bit smoother.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote