Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Storage unit recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
I work in the museum field with artifacts collections and so have training in long term management and protection of items, (technically Preventive Conservation). I've also been a transformer collector since 1984 (I was born in 70s), so I share your pain in trying to preserve these things.
Hope this helps.
I remember you posting on light levels and other such topics before. I always love reading your posts because of your very well informed perspective! This was another great post.

You are a very valuable contributor to this community!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
ngnaw
Armada

All this seems so stressful, IMO i'd sell them if I didn't have room to display them, but to each his own...
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
All this seems so stressful, IMO i'd sell them if I didn't have room to display them, but to each his own...
^second
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #14
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
Pack them carefully and don't use tightly sealed containers (like bags) as that can cause micro-climates which can actually be more damaging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGTR View Post
Oh this is an interesting tid bit. I've been sticking things into ziplock bags and storing in them in a bin (like Marvel Legends) just to keep accessories and stuff together. Guess I should reconsider this or look into storing accessories only for figures
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Yes. Interesting...
Maybe you could still use the Ziplocs, but poke some (pin)holes to allow for some air circulation -- but small enough so as not to lose any pieces.
Wouldn't it work just as well to keep them bagged but simply not close the seal? Poking holes in the bags could just lead to bag deterioration over time, I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
Don't use ziplock bags at all; they're known to damage the paint. Go polypro, bro.
Where does one get polypro bags? Don't think I've noticed any through the usual means of getting bags like a grocery store or hellmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I remember you posting on light levels and other such topics before. I always love reading your posts because of your very well informed perspective! This was another great post.

You are a very valuable contributor to this community!
+2 for the sentiment.

To the OP, I would also choose interior storage. Specifically basement storage if you can manage it. Depending on how well insulated the building is, your figures may still be exposed to temperature and humidity swings that Omegatron mentioned, just not to the same extent as exterior storage. Basement storage can minimize the size of those swings as the temperature and humidity so remain more consistent for a longer duration, plus you'll have the added benefit of limiting them to daylight exposure too.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote