Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
flareblitz007
Generation 1
What defines a scalper?

Hey everyone,

I was just curious and this is all hypothetical.
Let's say there are two people. One of them likes buying multiple MP figures solely to sell them at mark up for profit. They might keep one for them self but get two or more just to sell at a markup.

The other one buys MP figures as well, however this person has only ever bought one of each as a collector would do I guess, he/she never opened them because they might not have a place to display them or they just like their figures MIB. This person however might want to sell them somewhere down their life instead but never bought them for that reason. Of course by then they might be worth more so they might sell it for more. But what if a MP figure came out and it's one they really liked so they got two this one time. One to open and play with and the other to put away along with his/her collection which of course might be used for display one day or maybe sold along with their collection. So which is the scalper?

This is just something I thought about and wanted others input. Like I said, this is all hypothetical. I would apreciate as much inputs as possible. And of course thanks to everyone who replies!

Thanks!
- flare

Last edited by flareblitz007; 08-22-2013 at 11:20 PM.
flareblitz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: What defines a scalper?

Urban Dictionary:

Definition 1: Someone who purchases large quantities of goods (usually tickets) early with the sole intention of re-selling them at a higher price at a later date (closer to the event).

Definition 5: Someone who lives on ebay and makes their living selling hotwheels cars.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 08-22-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
KoreanInferno
Alternator

A scalper is someone who flips TFs for just plain profit. If someone sells their figure down the line because it doesn't fit their collection or needs anymore then they should sell it at the current market value at the time (which is usually higher than what they bought it for if the demand is high) there's no malicious intent, just being realistic in pricing.
KoreanInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

The first individual is definitely, by definition a scalper. The second is just a normal collector, people do buy multiple figure for multiple reasons: I bought 2 Voyager Blitzwings, not because I think it will cost more in the future so I can sell it later, but it is my favorite character. I want to get my hands on another Steelcore, it is the best figure I own in my collection and would love to own a second (hopefully without the high price tag ).

Last edited by FEZaid; 08-22-2013 at 11:33 PM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Hellboy
Alternator

While I don't buy 2 of most items I do with the MPs because they are considered more "Rare" and as a collector I like to have one MISB. I also can't resist opening and transforming them so I need one to satisfy that craving.

I don't see myself as a scalper. I don't buy for the purpose of profit.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Sokar
Armada

If you are buying transformers for the purpose of reselling them at a markup, then you are scalping basically. This is because they are not 'collectibles' in this case so much as they are product in a business in which you are simply acting as a middle man.

This doesn't have too much to do with the number of figures purchased for the most part (within reason) because as others have said, there are multiple reasons to buy multiples at times. Personally, I always tend to buy more than one if I intend to open it because of a few reasons:

1 - Natural deterioration of the figure due to dust, light, etc will lead my opened figure to look different than the one that is sealed. As such, I have a replacement later down the line should this happen and I will not have to pay crazy ebay prices if I can even find one.

2 - Damage through transformation accidents, etc deteriorates the figure as well, and can lead to much more significant damage than that previously stated. As such, for the same reasons as 1, it's good to have a backup at original retail price.

3 - Poor quality control on the part of has/tak can lead to some messed up figures that would naturally need replacing. As it's not always available when you go back to get one, a replacement is again a good idea.

4 - Troop building is one other possibility as well. Granted, it's not as popular as the other two options, but if there's a bunch available of some figure, it's sometimes fun to do. Back when walmart was clearing out their cybertron scouts, I picked up about 15 scrapmetals and now have a mini army of them.

5 - Use in projects is also a big reason to buy multiples. Obviously you have to start somewhere, so it's usually just as easy to buy a new figure and start painting them.

To be honest, I've only actually bought a single transformer with the intention of reselling it, and that was at cost for someone on the tfw2005 boards because they were looking for it specifically. Luckily there was one (actually several) sitting on the shelves at walmart so I picked it up for them and shipped it to them at cost. I don't really consider that scalping since there were a ton of them (it was HA mudflap on clearance for crying out loud) so everyone had a good chance to get them, and it was sold at cost only.

Last edited by Sokar; 08-23-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

A scalper inserts themselves into the supply chain without adding any value to the item. For example TRU adds value to an item by transporting the item into a location for sale.

A scalper doesn't make an item any more available or add any value to it. They buys up items in a location like Vancouver, creating artificial scarcity and take advantage of it, so they can sell an item for an exaggerated amount in Vancouver or on maybe online.

A scalper is like some dude standing in front of TRU blocking the door and demanding a dollar from each customer to let them into the store to buy something.

Someone who buys an item or two and down the line sells them MIB or opened for more isn't a scalper, because of several reasons. They made use of the item, had the pleasure of owning it, even if it's MIB. They didn't create an artificial scarcity and try to take advantage of it. There is not guarantee that the item will go up in price in the long run, so it's not someone trying to create a short term scarcity and trying to take advantage.

Again scalpers add nothing to the value of an item. They're extortionists.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

Your first example is a perfect definition of a douchebag a$$hole scumbag... woops I mean scalper.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Nazarite
Masterpiece Collector

To me a scalper is someone who goes to the store on release day and buys the store out. Then he goes to the next store and does it again. He forces those who just want one to have to pay double the price. This scalper drives price up by controlling availability. A$$h*13. You can spot him when his eBay auction states quantity of 8 available.

The guy who buys two and later on sells the second at a premium because the item is not available anymore, but is still highly demanded by collectors, is just savvy. He has made an investment. I don't see anything wrong with that.

eBay flippers can burn in hell.

Last edited by Nazarite; 08-23-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Nazarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Bruticus
B&K Collectables

Completely agreed. If we can acquire a Hasbro MP here or there, we go for it, but we can't stand those who go in and buy 5 or 10 of an item just to create chaos and drive prices up. Unfortunately, this is evidently, since Hasbro's MP situation with Optimus, to be what we as Collectors have to regularly deal with for that line.

-----------------------------------------------------
Add B&K Collectables to your Facebook HERE

Follow B&K Collectables on your Twitter HERE

Subscribe to the B&K Collectables' newsletter HERE
------------------------------------------------------
Cybertron.ca Feedback Thread --> http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=18760
Bruticus is offline   Reply With Quote