Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #51
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Change to Hasbro Canada involvement in TFcon 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't blame Hasbro for pulling back on their involvement. 3RD party products are an infringement on their property and is stealing regardless of what fans feel they want or deserve. Offering a convention exclusive created with stolen property is a complete insult to the company that gave everyone (in North America at least) Transformers in the first place.

3RD Party companies benefit from all the financial work Hasbro does to keep the Transformers franchise alive. They do more than just make toys. They are behind the movies, video games and TV shows that incur expenses way beyond what the thieves are reaping the benefits from.

I love some of the bootleg products I've seen and I'd love to see stuff like that on my shelves but I don't support stolen Transformer merchandise any more than I do bootleg movies or music. To me it is just wrong.

I get that I'm the minority here and will get reamed for taking the stance that I do but it makes no difference. I'm content buying what Hasbro produces. In my mind anything that doesn't come with a Hasbro stamp on it really isn't a Transformer and I only collect Transformers.
How is it stolen? A vast majority of the 3rd party items I am interested in, but haven't the funds to afford right now, only serve to enhance pre-existing Hasbro products. True the Not-Devastator isn't entirely in that same vein, and I get that, however when the company spends all its time making figure after figure based on Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee and Starscream after a while you begin to feel burn out on those characters.

Hasbro's products of late have failed to stretch the imagination or really push the bar on well engineered transforming products. They have grown sloppy, they have no real competition at major retailers and so they no longer try their damndest to impress both kids and collectors alike.

They take a piece of yellow plastic, call it Bumblebee, and dump it into the huge pile of BBs that constantly take up space on the store shelves. They treat the franchise like it was still a blockbuster movie toyline and not like it needs to keep revolving doors going in order to get the product out there.

It's the same problem year after year, we're sitting on shelves of unwanted product because Hasbro is marketing to the wrong people. The movie going public do not support a toyline, not the way those of us who grew up with the cartoons could, not even the way the kids who follow said cartoons could. Kids want more than just Bumblebee, or at least they are definitely starting to get smart enough to see that all the company seems to care about is pushing certain franchise favorites out the door down their throats add infinitem and leave them high and dry when it comes to other characters that the children might actually prefer to see.

There is too much product from Hasbro, without 3rd parties most of us would probably have abandoned this sinking tub long before this.

Hasbro is like the tick that has burrowed itself deep into the dog's back, it has become overgorged on years of our continued support, so much to the point that it no longer fears what happens when we take our business elsewhere, because they can just make it back by dragging in others, finding the blood elsewhere. Sadly for them they've become so engorged by our continued support that they fail to realize all dog's must die. The blood flow ceases eventually, instead of taking only what they need to survive and moving on to the next 'dog' they sit contentedly growing fatter and fatter until, when the dog finally dies, they will be too engorged to even leave to find another.

I'll admit that is a really odd analogy, but my point is still made. Hasbro is a Corporation that has become a Conglomerate, they've absorded other companies 'The Blood' (Kenner, Tonka, Etc...) and they are content to continue spewing out less than there best because they figure the kids will still support the lines they push at them.

The children however have become more fickle, some less intelligent, others more intelligent, their atention spans have become more focused, less easy to grab, some might say the opposite is in fact true, but I don't believe that for a second. If that were the case the cell phone companies wouldn't be able to keep getting the younger generations interested in signing up.

Sure the 3rd parties might infringe a bit on Hasbro's IPs, but that's because they are small enough right now, and located in areas of the world where the laws help them rather than hinder them when it comes to Hasbro's properties, that they can operate. Today's 3rd parties are what Hasbro were around 30 years ago, small companies seeing something big catch on somewhere and taking advantage of that.

The way they react to these 3rd parties is really rather stupid, instead of being all up in arms about them they should be taking a hard look at their business plan. Because the older fans get, the more focused and niche they become with their collections, no longer do they jump at every little thing that is pushed out the door like the kiddies do. And if the kiddies parents who are the older fans tell them that the companies best efforts have already been met and are sitting on their shelves in their collection rooms... Well those kiddies won't be buying Hasbro's latest product, now will they?

Co-Exist, learn and grow, or risk choking to death on your own greed/gluttony, much like that overfed tick from my analogy.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #52
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

"If you don't play by our rules, we're taking our ball and going home!"

Hey look Hasbro, we got a new ball. It's the updated ball we were asking you for all these years but this one is made by a another company and we paid 10 times as much.... but we love it soooooo much, now they're my new best friend.

Last edited by Matrix_Holder; 07-09-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Matrix_Holder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #53
pulsedragon20
I win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot22 View Post
they do but its technically made by takara.

the masterpiece line.

hopefully hasbro will start bringing them over in their form faster then they have been,
I'm quite aware that Takara has TFs made for collectors (masterpiece, ehobby, music label, etc) but Hasbro on the other hand does not really
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #54
Hellboy
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
Don't blame the fans,.. Hasbro is punishing everyone here thats whats aggrivating they should grow up and show up,... with good will towards the people who support them instead of making this a political statment towards third party and KO products. I have been buying Hasbro and Takara since 84 have little to no third party products and I find this a personal insult to my support for the last 28 years, this shows Hasbro's loyalty towards the fans is overwhelming
The fact that Hasbro is still making an appearance is an indication of their appreciation for their fans. I would believe (because I cannot speak for them) that their issue is with the venue holder who is benefiting from having Hasbro there but chooses to offer an incentive which is complete copyright infringement on their property.

Hasbro attends the August Fan Expo in Toronto and brings in exclusives (in conjunction with another company) offered in the US for Transformers/GI Joe/Star Wars and they treat their fans wonderfully. I enjoy chatting with the staff and looking at the upcoming product.

What they should do is skip the TFCon completely. The organizer does not deserve to have Hasbro's presence when they embrace fraudulent merchandise so blatantly. It's one thing to say, "I'm sorry Hasbro but we really cannot control who brings what into the show to sell" and another to say, "Hey, Hasbro, does any of your staff want to pre-order this Huffer rip-off we are peddling?"

I don't work for Hasbro. I don't have any beef with TFCon or it's organizers. I don't even know who they are. Hasbro doesn't owe me anything for the almost 30 years I've been collecting and enjoying Transformers. It's been my choice.

I just think the world would be a better place if people stood up for the person (big or small) being wronged even if it meant a little personal sacrifice.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #55
Pascal
Banned

Have they ever unveiled anything truly new at TFcon anyway?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #56
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

ehhh.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #57
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
The fact that Hasbro is still making an appearance is an indication of their appreciation for their fans. I would believe (because I cannot speak for them) that their issue is with the venue holder who is benefiting from having Hasbro there but chooses to offer an incentive which is complete copyright infringement on their property.

What they should do is skip the TFCon completely. The organizer does not deserve to have Hasbro's presence when they embrace fraudulent merchandise so blatantly. It's one thing to say, "I'm sorry Hasbro but we really cannot control who brings what into the show to sell" and another to say, "Hey, Hasbro, does any of your staff want to pre-order this Huffer rip-off we are peddling?"

I don't work for Hasbro. I don't have any beef with TFCon or it's organizers. I don't even know who they are. Hasbro doesn't owe me anything for the almost 30 years I've been collecting and enjoying Transformers. It's been my choice.
um wow? did you bring a soapbox? or shall we be expecting you outside with a big sign walking back and forth?

sure seem to be attacking the people that are putting on TFCON for us all.

and maybe your right. maybe Hasbro shouldn't come at all. im sure most of us won't even notice if they didn't in all honesty after the last few years being a complete joke by what they actually brought and showed.

we are all entitled to our opinions. but by yours im guessing you won't be coming. but don't worry we all will tell you how great it was.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #58
RageD
Energon

This thread hurts my head!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #59
pulsedragon20
I win

Quote:
The organizer does not deserve to have Hasbro's presence when they embrace fraudulent merchandise so blatantly. It's one thing to say, "I'm sorry Hasbro but we really cannot control who brings what into the show to sell" and another to say, "Hey, Hasbro, does any of your staff want to pre-order this Huffer rip-off we are peddling?"
I do see your point HOWEVER, do you know how expensive it would be for TFcon to actually have a Hasbro exclusive(s) like Botcon does!...it means we won't have any at, also, Transformers conventions all over the world has 3rd figures as exclusive as well, not just TFcon. I'm pretty sure everyone would love to have Hasbro exclusive figure for TFcon but it would be way too expensive considering the size of the convention.

Not only that, TFcon has been offering 3rd party exclusives for years and Hasbro had a panel during some of them...they just got extremely anal from last year to this year
pulsedragon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #60
JTR Hobby
Generation 1
JTR Hobby's Ebay Auctions

Why are there so many bumblebee's? Because kids want them plain and simple. Over th past 6 six years of retailing Transformers kids want eitehr Bumblebee or Optimus Prime, doesn't matter what series that is what they want. And come on admit it when you were a kid you wanted Prime too.

Has Hasbro lost touch? well since Trnsformers are their #1 selling brand I would have to say no. If Hasbro products are so terrible why is everyone so excited about teh Prime figures?

When Hasbro moves to eliminate 3rd party stuff they will do it like this: First they will contact all of the retailers carrying Hasbro product and tell them that if they carry any unlicensed stuff they will no longer be able to sell Hasbro product (which also includes Star Wars, GI Joe, MLP, etc.). Second they will figure out who out of China or Japan or whatever is selling them and have packages seized at the border when they it the US. They may not get every piece but they will get most.

If Third party company want to produce ther own figure based on orginal designs and market them and make a profit then I am all for it.

Tags
tfcon 2012