Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #21
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: Gimmicks as a child

Absolutely got hooked on Soundwave's casette 'gimmick', if you could call it that. And then of course Combiners, and the head/target masters.

I did actually like the Minicons, which filled the headmaster/targetmaster void much later on with Armada, but wasn't wild about the clear Energon weapons (even though they combined) as I feel a gun should always be a solid piece of hardware and not some kind of energy cloud. Cybertron is a great line, but in the end I got tired of the Cyber-keys, and to this day I have them 'all in one zip-lock' and as such never seem to have one when I need it to unlock this or that.

I also think Diaclone/microman figs fitting inside G1 figures was a gimmick that should have made it into G1. I love the little Spike/Sparkplug diaclone-sized figs made recently that fit in G1s.

So what were the 'core gimmicks' of each line? Allow me to pontificate and feel free to add/edit...

G1--the whole transforming thing, combining, head/power/target masters, actionmasters, poweredmasters, pretenders, spark-a-bots, throttle bots, and a bunch of motorized stuff...anything else?
G2--weren't there some that changed colour with water?
RID--hmm, not really a core gimmick, was there?
Armada--Minicons
Energon--The weapons, Minicons
Cybertron--Cyber keys
Classics--G1-inspired, but no defining gimmick, IMHO
Movie--auto-morph
Alt/Binaltech--real liscensed cars
Universe and beyond--no defining gimmick, IMHO
Animated--highly stylized, automorphy, cyber slammers, etc.

--Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote