Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
JLvatron
Chosen 1
TF3 DotM NON-Spoiler Reviews

**NO PLOT SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE!!**

However, it's difficult to review without at least mentioning characters, screenplay design, wardrobe, ...

Review:
Saw the advance screening in costume last night!

TF3 was refreshing as it had the least amount of ‘Insanely stupid’ scenes of all 3 movies. Oh, it's there alright cause this is Michael Bay afterall. But the total duration was shorter, so less to endure. The movie was still the 'least Bad' of all 3. Only slightly.

But does this make it the 'Most Good'?

Story had some twists, which #1 hardly had. Either Bay was willing to script the story better than in #2, or the new writer did a good job. I'm guessing it was both.

The leading lady really had as much impact as Megan Fox did in the 1st movie. Very cookie-cut role; but with lesser clothing.
Much.
Sam's story was much better in #2, this time I found it kinda frustrating watching him, both script and just his situation.

While some Transformers got some good screen time, once again several other key characters felt ignored. Collective behaviours seemed out of character, but this is nothing new for Bay-verse Transformers.

While I enjoyed movies #1 & 2 in the cinema, but laster had to fast fwd through some scenes on dvd, #3 disappointed me by having several scenes that actually bored me while sitting in the theatre.
It seemed like the movie had advanced a level in quality, but they dragged the human scenes too long and this human emphasis felt like taking a step backwards, making it seem like they were running out of ideas.
A shame, really.

Viewers of the classic movie "Ernest Goes to Jail" may have the same reaction to the ending as TF3. 2 different endings, but similar direction to merit the same reaction.

Lots of homages to the original Transformers, just like in #2.
The 3D scenes were amazing (just little things like a forward panning landscape were fun to watch).

How does it compare to movies #1 & 3 overall?
Difficult to say. Many things were better. But many more things *shouldn't* have been as bad.
As we figured in our after-movie discussion, the dvd repeat viewing will have to answer this. If you can't endure it, maybe the fun was just on the big-screen 'candy excitement' & 3D Bay effects. Otherwise, maybe it'll hold up as the best of the 3-pack.

Either way, it's worth seeing, just for a fun blockbuster.

Comments and other reviews welcome, but please keep it NON-SPOILER

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 06-29-2011 at 11:17 AM.
JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: TF3 DotM NON-Spolier Review

In simple terms, if you liked ROTF, you will love DOTM. If you didn't, your mileage may vary, although DOTM is a much stronger film than ROTF.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

Glad to hear that it was not all together terrible and a step up from ROTF.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

the new character designs were nice (though there is one or two I have issues with) and the action though intensified was easier to follow this time around.

Definitley worth seeing for any fan mild to hardcore.
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Thanks!

Your review made me realize how effective the media and hype juggernaught has been in warping my perception that this movie will be bigger and better than Jesus.

I am now lowering my expectations accordingly.

So, if we are to apply the STAR WARS Prequel Measurement System against DotM, would you say this is the "Revenge of the Sith" of the trilogy?

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
So, if we are to apply the STAR WARS Prequel Measurement System against DotM, would you say this is the "Revenge of the Sith" of the trilogy?
Which is worse? Attack of The Clones or Revenge of The Fallen?
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

I had the opportunity to attend an advance screening of Transformers Dark of the Moon last night in Toronto thanks to the fine folks at Paramount. I do want everyone to know it is so much better than Revenge of the Fallen and worth seeing in 3D. I came out of ROTF disappointed with so many aspects of that film, to the degree that it gave me a long lasting disinterest in Transformers collecting after 10 years. DOTM made me care about the Movieverse again. It was a solid movie. Not because it was about Transformers, but because it was well done.

The first Transformers movie left a feeling of awe for many of us in seeing our childhood brought to life in the live action movie environment. The sequel disappointed alot of people including myself. This third film in the trilogy does a great job of finishing the story in a way that left me satisfied.

One of the things that jumped out at me while I was watching Dark of the Moon was the contrasts in some of the aspects of this film and Revenge of the Fallen. Take Sam's new love interest Carly for example. Her personality is so much more positive than Mikaela was, and I thought it helped reflect a change in the direction of this movie. (It doesn't hurt that she is better looking) The new human characters had excellent character development. Patrick Dempsey's character was a good. Sam's parents once again had some well delivered one liners that will make you laugh out loud. John Malkovich's character steals the scene in his introduction. Former Agent Seymour Simmons's charcter wasn't as annoying this time around, and Frances McDormand was believable as the Secretary of Defence. Alan Tudyk was great, he delivered some great scenes. Shia LaBeouf once again did a good job keeping us involved in the story.

Leonard Nimoy was a great casting voice for Sentinel Prime. His distinctive voice returning to the Transformers franchise after 25 years was great timing and felt right.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher
Re: TF3 DotM NON-Spolier Reviews

Nice review, all I need to know is wheather or not the wreckers get a "good" ammount of screen time.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian
Re: TF3 DotM NON-Spolier Reviews

^Depends how much time you consider "good".

They are VERY cool though.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Glad to hear that it was not all together terrible and a step up from ROTF.
Er, stepped with a catch.
It's not like some aspects were stepped up while others were not.

It's more like all aspects were stepped up, then they purposely stepped back some aspects just to disappoint you.

But in 3D & big screen, it's still a whole latta fun.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote