Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus
Detolf Displays Sunlight

I recently started to display my stuff in detolfs but wanted to get your thoughts in regards to sunlight. A couple of the displays, do get a few hours of sun on them each day, windows are around 10-20 feet away.

Now I do have window film installed on the windows which has 99% UV Light Blocked, 44% Light Transmittance, and 15% visible light reflectance. I don't know if it makes a difference that these are professionally installed vs the dyi stuff from home depot but I do notice the difference in light and heat in the rooms after they were installed.

So my question is should my stuff be fine being in a bit of sun each day? I really don't want to move the detolfs, I suppose another option is add a layer of window film on the detolf itself itself but that seems a bit overkill.

what do you guys think?
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
Ozrein
Stunticon
Re: Detolf Displays Sunlight

The UV light is the most damaging to plastics. So if you've got a 99% UV filter already on the windows, you should be fine.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Also consider the UV that can be emitted by your light fixtures inside the home!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:02 PM   #4
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Board up the windows! Seriously though I blocked out the window in my collection room. Now no UV from sulight.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:36 AM   #5
evenstaves
you renegade maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 12th Prime View Post
Seriously though I blocked out the window in my collection room. Now no UV from sulight
This is what I'm gonna do, probably in the basement
Though wary of putting TF collection in the lowest level (re: flooding)

Not that its happened before or anything, but I've seen some nightmares online, and who wants to take the chance?
evenstaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #6
Omegatron
Gen 1

Just by way of preface, I work in culture and heritage and work with museum collections. One of the things I have to do is make sure museum artifacts remain undamaged for decades. There are a lot of potential threats, but one of the big ones is light.

There are actually two measurements for light that we use in the museum world. One is UV and the other is lux.

UV is quite obviously the measurement of ultra violet radiation, which as you've got UV film on your windows you are obviously familiar with.

lux is the measurement of light levels, literally how bright the light is. There are some museum artifacts (watercolour paintings for example) where the museum standard is, no more than 50 lux brightness exposure for a period of no longer than six months. This is independent of whatever the UV levels are. Lux will primarily cause fading of colours, especially bright colours, especially reds, but ultimately all colours will be affected. Unfortunately direct sunlight is usually measured in the hundreds of lux.

An even simpler way to look at it is, damage to a toy (except obviously dropping it) is caused by a chemical reaction which causes changes in the plastic over time. Chemical reactions require energy, and sunlight contains a lot of energy.

In short if you had museum artifacts in those Detolfs, I would tell you to move them out of the light. Plastic toys are pretty durable but not immune to damage, I honestly wouldn't help it along.

One last thing, UV film is great but it does break down over time. Often you can't tell without measuring the UV levels. In two or three years time those toys in the display cases will be receiving higher UV than you think, despite the film on the windows.

If you can, also light the room with LEDs. They emit very low levels of UV.

Hope this helps, and sorry to be a downer.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
Grayfox
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
Just by way of preface, I work in culture and heritage and work with museum collections. One of the things I have to do is make sure museum artifacts remain undamaged for decades. There are a lot of potential threats, but one of the big ones is light.

There are actually two measurements for light that we use in the museum world. One is UV and the other is lux.

UV is quite obviously the measurement of ultra violet radiation, which as you've got UV film on your windows you are obviously familiar with.

lux is the measurement of light levels, literally how bright the light is. There are some museum artifacts (watercolour paintings for example) where the museum standard is, no more than 50 lux brightness exposure for a period of no longer than six months. This is independent of whatever the UV levels are. Lux will primarily cause fading of colours, especially bright colours, especially reds, but ultimately all colours will be affected. Unfortunately direct sunlight is usually measured in the hundreds of lux.

An even simpler way to look at it is, damage to a toy (except obviously dropping it) is caused by a chemical reaction which causes changes in the plastic over time. Chemical reactions require energy, and sunlight contains a lot of energy.

In short if you had museum artifacts in those Detolfs, I would tell you to move them out of the light. Plastic toys are pretty durable but not immune to damage, I honestly wouldn't help it along.

One last thing, UV film is great but it does break down over time. Often you can't tell without measuring the UV levels. In two or three years time those toys in the display cases will be receiving higher UV than you think, despite the film on the windows.

If you can, also light the room with LEDs. They emit very low levels of UV.

Hope this helps, and sorry to be a downer.
Definitely great info to have. Thanks!
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:21 PM   #8
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstaves View Post
This is what I'm gonna do, probably in the basement
Though wary of putting TF collection in the lowest level (re: flooding)

Not that its happened before or anything, but I've seen some nightmares online, and who wants to take the chance?
My TF?s are on 8 4X8 3 foot high tables around the perimeter of the room and shelves mounted on the walls above those tables. Boxes in totes under tables that I covered with table cloths to hide the totes. I have one detolf with MP?s on top working down to less expensive figures on the bottom.
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote