Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
Falling Canadian dollar and it's impact to your TF purchases?

I've only recently seen that the CDN dollar has fallen to about 90 cents USD as of late. It doesn't seem that things are going to get better, so for lots of us who order online through the US, are you guys going to wait it out or just go ahead and buy now before it falls any further?

Ten percent might not seem like a lot, but when you're spending in the hundreds, it all adds up. As for myself, I'm going to snag what I can in the next month.

Preorders, however, might be a way around a falling dollar...but then again, as I understand it, most preorders don't charge your card until the item is in stock. I'm hoping that's not the case, or at least they take into account the value of our dollar on the day the item is purchased. But that can work either way, I suppose...what if the dollar gains?

In any case, just wondering about your thoughts. I suppose if you purchase all your items here in Canada, no big issues But with a falling dollar, I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in what we're paying overall. Which really ticks me off, because it seems no matter what the dollar does (or how the economy is, up or down), stuff just generally costs more and more!...I remember right around 08 when I thought the global economic thing was happening that I might be able to get some things on the cheap: exact opposite, retailers actually INCREASED the prices of their goods (musical instruments, in my case).

Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.
Re: Falling Canadian dollar and it's impact to your TF purchases?

It definitely sucks.

But I don't see why US dealers would take the value of our dollar into account. I mean, they never have before so why start now?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
omegax80
Curses! Foiled Again!
omegax80's Ebay Auctions

I think what he means, is if things are priced in US dollars, it may cost those in Canada more since the value is less.
omegax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Window
Robot Master

Once it hits a point where it is cheaper to buy from retailers in Canada vs US then I'll switch back to CDN retailers, until that point I'll stick to US/JPN retailers.

That said the dollar is in a slump right now because of the US and slower than expected job growth in Canada.
Expect the slump to not last as trade picks up - currencies tend to slump around this time of the year due to CNY - they are the largest importer of natural resources and goods right now - so when they slow down everyone else does too.

I expect the dollar will pop back up as soon as the BoC stops scaring investors with its BS rhetoric too as that is the biggest reason it has dropped is the BoC's press releases about the loonie in an attempt to devalue it.

Another factor to take into account is that the US's 'deal' with congress on their budget ends in Feb, this may scare investors back to Canada especially given the adversarial nature between the two parties down there.
The doom and gloom from some of the major american investment machines is honestly just trying to play the market to their advantage instead of letting real market forces drive prices.

Last edited by Window; 01-23-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
pandaprime
aficionado!

maybe the canadian dollar is falling when compared to the us dollar but how about the japanese yen?

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

It will never make sense, financially, to buy from Canadian online stores. With a falling dollar, they will have to raise prices because their paying more for stock. Last I saw, their prices are already always higher even when our dollar was higher than the USA. Then add on taxes and that's even more reason to shop elsewhere. It sucks and I wish I could justify buying within Canada but I can't see it ever making sense, in regards to collectibles.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
chroma23
douchebag

i always buy alot of greenbacks when the rates were good or okay or "good enough" (most recently, this past summer), and deposit into a USD bank account, to save for rainy days like now

unfortunately, that requires alot of planning and of course alot of money upfront. but if you plan to buy certain certain figures and you kind of know how much it will cost

honestly i was a bit tight on canadian cash back in the summer because of this, but in the end i guess it was worth it

BST on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47234
FEEDBACK on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16129

Last edited by chroma23; 01-23-2014 at 04:23 PM.
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
justprime
Animated

gee I rember buying out of country when our dollar was .75 of the U.S. greenback soo a long way to fall to dicourage me besides I buy the lions share from Taraka/Tomy so Meh,.. I just get a little more selective,... the big QUESTION is will Hasbro screw us on figure releases here due to this?Canada being such a small almost non exsistant market and all,we may not be worth the effort to ship here, since we buy so little. (there train of thought not mine)
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Its actually down even further then that now. Does it affect me. I don't know. At the moment there is no Transformers to buy. No Mattel items either, even online. That is now speaking of today, at the moment kind of thing. Who knows what will be revealed at NYTF that I need to budget for. Everything out currently is either I have it or I don't want it.

But it's cheaper currently to just shop here for other stuff, so I am going to do that instead of getting it in the states until the dollar recovers. I don't think I've ever seen the Yen lower then the Canadian dollar or even lower then the US dollar. :/

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

It may impact some future MOTUC purchases, but it won't stop my MP collecting. On the flip side it's a good time to start selling again on ebay, make a little extra to pay for all the fees.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote