Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
deagle7000
Transform!
Re: Falling Canadian dollar and it's impact to your TF purchases?

I don't really get the way Canadian prices work. I'm from the US and I moved up here with everything costing more even though they dollars were the same value. For several years they were right at parity, even with the Canadian being worth more at times. Did retailers lower their prices from back when a CAD used to be .75 USD? Nope. Some shit costs twice as much. Every article I read says that Canadians are used to the higher prices to retailers never felt the need to lower them. They have been making larger profits the last few years and now that the dollar is falling they are just likely to raise prices to keep this profit margins. I buy everything online from my USD account. The main thing I've seen is less people in Canada buying things from me on ebay (I list in USD).
deagle7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

It's a pretty easy concept. It costs more to ship things here, costs more to live, costs more to license, to bring out English/French box art, stores have to raise their prices due to taxes and the cost of having to run the store. Plus our min wage is higher, so they have to charge more to pay those people. It costs more to run business in Canada and that is put out in the price. The stores have to make money somewhere.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
joshimus
Metroplex

My local comic shop has a PO Box across the boarder for his Mattycollector stuff. Mainly because shipping to Canada is INSANE and for him to keep the figures at the steady pricepoint, he has to do over the boarder. It's brutal, but I still prefer to pay more to deal with them than Mattycollector's insane shippiing + 4-6 week average delivery.
Same goes with Automatontoys. I take advantage of the early bird pricing and go with that. Would still rather deal with Canadians than U.S.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #14
wedge1021
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
Same goes with Automatontoys. I take advantage of the early bird pricing and go with that. Would still rather deal with Canadians than U.S.
Same here, for the most part. By the time shipping, currency conversion and any possible duties are added to the lower US prices, it works out to be pretty close to Automaton's price after taxes and shipping. And using "order on hold" in combination with the flat rate shipping helps too.

Though I may be trying out a few US-based sites this year, since I just signed up with a parcel service across the border a couple months ago. It's been really handy for taking advantage of free US shipping from Amazon.com, as well as being able to buy from ebay sellers that won't ship to Canada.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #15
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

When the US dollar was low back in 2008 to 10, I bought some US stocks, and sold quite a few of them gradually. So I have more US dollar now. My plan is to buy Canadian stocks using those money while Canadian dollar is low enough. Too bad I can't do the same for action figures, there is no home-made action figure here. So I can only use part of those stock money buy figures from US or other countries.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
Pascal
Banned

My current POL is 627.40 USD, which translates to 715.55 CND. Terrible. Too many releases in January, it's just crazy. I'm done for a while!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
CanBot
Cybertron

All I know is that we've never really seen a drop in prices for much, even when our dollar was at (or very close) to parity. I know that bookstores finally gave in and reduced their prices to the USD rate, but that's small consolidation.

As the majority of my online purchases are from the States, having the dollar at 10% less is going to hurt a bit but no more so than what Canadian retailers are asking. Unless we're talking big box stores like Wallymart or TRU...a sale is a sale.

But since I intend to order my MPs from the States, the only question is timing. Do I wait and see if the dollar rebounds, as one of you mentioned, or just go ahead and take the hit? When you're spending upwards of $400, the cost difference can be significant (not including the shipping).

I'm not complaining about costs (this is MP after all), just wondering if it will be business as usual for the most of you...it would appear as if it will be.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #18
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Definitely thinking harder about taking the Canadian route, but as usual I'm gonna price out from a few places regardless, so I guess it'll be business as usual for me haha.

Edit - Just made a preorder for MP G2 Sideswipe through Kool Toyz. Yeah, there's tax involved, but they had a better price than other sellers, and have stuff listed in Canadian dollars to boot. Plus as mentioned above, the shipping was actually cheaper than if I'd bought from the US or overseas, and on top of that I won't suffer anything having to do with exchange rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"

Last edited by Nomad; 01-27-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote