Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
TRUCKvsGUN
Re: Dilemma

lol hopefully they aren't all smiling

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
pandagfx
Generation 1

I'm in the same boat as you, having a tough time deciding between MP or Ocular Max version for Inferno. If I buy MP Inferno, then I'm gonna go with Ocular Max for the eventual Grapple repaint (to sample their quality for "real car" series).

I'm not gonna kid myself. My gut feeling is, if I had bought MP Inferno first, and then this Ocular Max version came out, I'd be tempted to sell the MP version (because I think the OM version looks better).

Out of all the 3P options available for any "real car" figure, I like what I've seen aesthetically from Ocular Max. It seems to best match the Hasui vision of a "blend of the toy/anime and other references" (ie some extra details here and there, and no stupid faces like FT Perceptor and FT Reflector). If the MP-10 reboot had begun with a full hard-on to match the bland anime look (ie flat panels, no details, looks like PVC figurines), I'd hate to think what the other 3P companies would have churned out to match that style.

Anyway, the recent MP's have more accessories, so that's a plus in Takara's favor if you like re-arranging/re-posing for playing and phototaking.

However, if you're more of the display-collector type, then choose the one that looks best to you and call it a day.

Last edited by pandagfx; 06-13-2016 at 05:03 PM.
pandagfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #13
Blurrz
Fast Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
The only one that will retain any real value over time is the Takara, if that matters to you. People will still pay for the 3P, but as they are 3P and not part of the mass market, are counterfeit versions of owned IPs, and don't have any official backing they will never increase in value.
I used to agree with this side of the argument but as years have gone by I can't really say it's 100% correct. There are some instances where the third party equivalents hit the proverbial dumpster (ala FansProject Defender vs Hasbro Voyager Spinger / 3rd party Arcees vs Hasbro Deluxe Arcee), but there are some cases where its the opposite, and most of these cases happen to be at the MP-scale of things.

I gotta say that the 3P backing matches the size of the fanbase behind HasTak's MPs, if not more. You can simply look at the fact that all of these companies are still going strong, and that there are so many characters in the Universe that HasTak cant cover. And even when both groups push out the same character, HasTak doesn't always win out; from what I've seen Shockwave is split 50/50. And then there's the iGear MP Coneheads. Those are at a frightening price despite HasTak dishing those out as well.

Anyways I like Hellfire. The ladder is pretty lengthy.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
funkmasterke
Custom User Title

Easily the takara version. Comes with a sick accessories and also is the most accurate.

It the announcement for MP couldn't have had better timing, I literally just made an order for MMC's ver seconds before so I still had time to cancel.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #15
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapmaker View Post
lol hopefully they aren't all smiling
static face, smiling face, and shoutnig face
Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #16
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

I like Backdraft the best, Takara's legs need more details.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
optimusb39
Animated

The deciding factor for me was the cover panels on the mmc version. Recently watched several reviews on that model and love how vrhe vehicle becomes a solid realistic firetruck with no visible arms or legs and all their associated kibbly shapes.
The cover panels fold away beautifully into the leg cavities and leave the robot looking superb.
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
wedge1021
Energon

I love Maketoys, and I love Inferno, so you'd think Hellfire would have been a no-brainer for me. But I couldn't get past the wheels, particularly the huge screw-holes in the centres. I wavered back and forth between it and MCC's long enough that now I'll just wait for the Takara one. I prefer to get the official releases where I can, and fill in with 3P figures when they're unlikely to get the official treatment (ie, Dinobots and a few others).
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #19
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

For other characters, maybe I will need to consider between Has/Takara and 3rd parties.... however for Inferno, I have to be really blind to choose 3rd parties version over official's. This picture explains all, the vast advantage Takara MP's version over other 3rd parties Inferno.
I will order MP Inferno as soon as it's available...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99_146795_aHEZHojhTSTQHHD.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	33550   Click image for larger version

Name:	99_277899_312988aa23a1eda.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	33551  

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

Last edited by xueyue2; 06-13-2016 at 10:17 PM.
xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #20
Pascal
Banned

I would buy them all if I could. My old me would, my new me can't. F...
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote