Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 09:34 PM   #41
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Transformers Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
I will do the same. We'll see if others who don't like the price will also cut back and if that means fuller shelves in stores.

I disagree regarding the presumption that kids and parents don't buy TFs. Both the Bumblebee line and the Cyberverse line were not aimed at fans and they still sold. Wasn't collectors buying Cyberverse Warriors and one steps. And we've seen price hikes for those as well, especially the one steps.

Tell that to my 2019 self.

Though I did get the majority of my Warrior class figures on a deep sale at Walmart.ca ($5.67+tax) Still feel like I over paid for some of them. Though definitely not Gnaw, he was a great Warrior class toy.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:52 PM   #42
OldOfflineMan
Beasty
OldOfflineMan's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
One thing is certain for me in all this, and that's they know that the main audience for these products are the fans. Heck, last time I talked to a service desk person (raincheck) at TrU about TFs, the instant comment was "oh, you must be another collector..."

So they most surely must consider that most collectors aren't cash strapped like children and their parents are.

It's an argument that I get a lot from people, and regardless that almost every time I am at the TFs isle in either TrR or Walmart, the only people I see checking them out tends to be another collector, something like 9/10 times... and that 1/10 that's a kid or parent, they look, they see the price, and they move on. In the last several years, I cannot remember seeing a kid/parent actually taking a transformer from the shelf even once, including during the holiday season.

And on top of this, so many will rant about "great prices", "should be more", "would pay more", etc... and defend the gaps, the cheap plastic and other ways that Hasbro cuts corners as if they have an investment in the company.

So, it's nice that some believe that plastic figures that could be melted down to pennies' worth of plastic should cost so freaking much, I just don't. I do love my TOYS probably to a higher level that some would understand, but I also can separate from what the value should be on these. I have spent a lot (probably way too much) on some (like most have) because of my interest and passion, but there is a fine balance between what being a fan/collector is, and the actual inflated value that these pieces of plastic are truly worth.

My #1 grievance is seeing the number of people that might really enjoy these toys but are quitting/bailing out, some just selling their collections altogether to prevent the urge that might push on them. These are toys, and these should be for fun, not a financial stress for people.

Note that I'm not quitting (I never will most probably) but I am cutting down a LOT and will really go for the figures that I really consider "must-have" and will hunt for the better prices, including the willingness to miss out and hope to get it used for less later on (with the hope that it's not going to go to the insane scalpers pricing that so many have now), and definitely been looking at the 3rd parties stuff that are much better quality for the same level of pricing.

Cue the insults and justifications?
I agree. I think the shift to focus on collectors became very obvious with Siege.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #43
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Why would prices ever go down?
Not sure if you remember but I remember prices of deluxe went up to 18.99 but couple years later it was 15.99 for deluxe I think beginning of combiner wars it was 15.99 and thrilling 30 was 18.99. Come to think of it titans return was 15.99
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:50 PM   #44
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagephil View Post
Not sure if you remember but I remember prices of deluxe went up to 18.99 but couple years later it was 15.99 for deluxe I think beginning of combiner wars it was 15.99 and thrilling 30 was 18.99. Come to think of it titans return was 15.99
I don't remember that. I instead remember Titans Return being the year that deluxes finally hit the 19.99 price point

Let me check...

Here, found this image on the web, the Titans Return deluxes were 19.97 at Walmart.

By the way, none of us have to rely on memory, the info is out there. You could have looked it up too. While there have been the one off class/wave that went down in price (like the wave 2 CW voyagers at Walmart compared to wave1), I have found no evidence of a general fall in MSRP after a raise in MSRP in the past 10 years. Would be nice if the new buying habits we are promising each other here made this a first though.

Last edited by MapleMegatron; 02-06-2022 at 12:36 AM.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:53 PM   #45
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Tell that to my 2019 self.

Though I did get the majority of my Warrior class figures on a deep sale at Walmart.ca ($5.67+tax) Still feel like I over paid for some of them. Though definitely not Gnaw, he was a great Warrior class toy.
Haha, yeah I got some for my kid during that sale as well (TRU also had a sale like that). The Hot Rod wasn't bad either, for what it was. And I think it's the best Cyberverse Hot Rod out there, that character got a lot of toys but none were good.

But man, that first Warrior Optimus was so bad. Definitely in the running for one of the worst figures of the past 10 years.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:53 AM   #46
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Only $231 for black zarak all in.
Glad i paid that vs the new pricing.
Gamestop rocks.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:39 AM   #47
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
I will do the same. We'll see if others who don't like the price will also cut back and if that means fuller shelves in stores.

I disagree regarding the presumption that kids and parents don't buy TFs. Both the Bumblebee line and the Cyberverse line were not aimed at fans and they still sold. Wasn't collectors buying Cyberverse Warriors and one steps. And we've seen price hikes for those as well, especially the one steps.
No presumption whatsoever, I just stated my personal observation that I have not seen parents/children take TFs from shelves.

I've bought a few Cyberverse myself, and from the forums, I can easily state that there is a air number of fans that will state that they collect every line, including Cyberverse and so on.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:01 PM   #48
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
I don't remember that. I instead remember Titans Return being the year that deluxes finally hit the 19.99 price point

Let me check...

Here, found this image on the web, the Titans Return deluxes were 19.97 at Walmart.

By the way, none of us have to rely on memory, the info is out there. You could have looked it up too. While there have been the one off class/wave that went down in price (like the wave 2 CW voyagers at Walmart compared to wave1), I have found no evidence of a general fall in MSRP after a raise in MSRP in the past 10 years. Would be nice if the new buying habits we are promising each other here made this a first though.

Okay so then it was combiner wars then that were 15.99 I stand corrected. But the prices did dip from thrilling 30 to combiner wars
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #49
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:

Let me check...

Hmmm.. I believe that might be American prices.

I remember the POTP being 15$ at the time quite clearly.

If I can find an old recept I will confirm, but I do remember that the prices jumped at the last wave in some places, but I do remember that around me, they did not, at least not until I had stopped buying.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #50
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallenangel View Post
Hmmm.. I believe that might be American prices.

I remember the POTP being 15$ at the time quite clearly.

If I can find an old recept I will confirm, but I do remember that the prices jumped at the last wave in some places, but I do remember that around me, they did not, at least not until I had stopped buying.
That receipt is from Canada, you can see HST tax on the receipt.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote