Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Top 15 of 2015

So the year 2015 is behind us now, and as we embark on 2016, let's take a moment to reflect on what we got last year!

This is a thing that apparantly floats around Twitter and I've seen it mention in the last two years so I figured why not?

The idea is to list the top Transformers you got in the last year, matching the year itself, so in this case top 15 of 2015.

HOWEVER! It's not just the new stuff that came out in 2015, but also the old toys you got. If you finally got that G1 grail you wanted you can put it on here. Finally got a Beast Wars Megatron? Put it here! And so forth!

and as always try to make it a bit more interesting than just a list with numbers.

So let me begin. This year I didn't get that many Transformers. I got distracted (and drained) by Glyos toys as well as a few other toylines. Plus Combiner Wars fatigue settled in really quickly with me, soon after getting Menasor together I kinda go tired of the whole thing and didn't buy anything aside from a First Aid for my Lost Light crew and some legends... Also I don't buy Masterpieces. G1 aesthetics just don't do it for me anymore. Now that that's said, let's go!

15-Cybertron Thunderblast

Cybertron is such a fun line of solid figures that are easy to transform and, due to how the show was made, highly accurate. I finally got my hand on an affordable Thunderblast and despite all her flaws I still like her. The Queen of Shellformer has a very characterful design, some ace coloring and a sweet alt mode. We really need more boat Transformers!

14- Combiner Wars Deluxe Off Road

Yeah I'm picking the new guy as my favorite of the Stunticons. I like his color scheme and the way the teal just pops out of nowhere for his robot mode. His mold is just a pleasure to transform and generally looks cool in almos any pose. The arm mode is also one of the better one to come out of a land vehicle in this line.

13- Legends class Acid Storm/Thundercracker/Skywarp

I'm putting all three in the same header for obvious reasons. The jet mode is sleak, the transformation fun, and the robot mode looks like a badass beefcake despite the size! And I love Acid Storm neon green color. Three thumbs up!

12- Combiner Wars Legend Bombshell

Love me a good Insecticon! I wish his colors matched better with his buddy Skrapnel, but Bombshell is still great. Beetles make such satisfying alt modes! The mind controlling bastard looks really creepy and I like his knuckle canons!

11- Movie Deluxe Fracture

Anothersweet EBay find. I still have my old Go-bots Crasher and getting this more recent realisation finally in my hands was great! The toy loses some points because of mold degradation, and a few fragile feeling details. It's still a sweet toy, but just not quite good enough to break the top 10 this year.

10- RID2015 Legends Fixit!

Talk about expressive! This is like the more accurate depiction a character from RID got as a toy. He's just so full of life and personality in a year I felt was very cold and 'Serious Collector Buisness! G1 or bust!' in Transformers. If you don't have one, you need one for your collection!

9- RID2015 Warrior Class Strongarm

Quite the year for Fembots in my collection. I actually went on Ebay looking for more of them early last January after receiving Chromia, Arcee and Windblade in late December. Strongarm is a much different style of fembot and while she's not objectively better than the toys beneath her on this list I still love the way this toy feel in hands. So chunky, so easy to transform and such a satisfyingly big alt mode!

8- Takara Legend Blackarachnia

I always thought the Animated Blackarachnia toy was fun, despite balance issues and dumbell curling arms. his new remold by Takara makes her look so much like her Beast Wars self it's just nuts. For that alone this toy get on my list. Note that she's the only one of the Takara fembots I picked up this year.

7-Impossible Toy Glipher

I don't usually got for Third Party toy so there isn't many on this list. When I saw her on sale on BBTS I couldn't pass her up (should have passed on Smshor, he looks good in general but his transformation is HELL). I like the concept of Glyph as an archeologist. This simple toy just looks adorable in vehicle mode (could use weapon storage though) and the conversion to the dumpy looking robot mode is easy peasy. This mold just looks ace in blue!

6- Combiner Wars Deluxe First Aid

I already said I like the Off Road mold and this variation is no exception. Furthermore I really like First Aid in MTMTE so this pick was a no brainer. The new head is so spot on! The surgical axe less so...

5- MMC Salvia Prominon

If I had more money to invest in third party I think MMC would be the way for me. Their design aesthetic just scratches a lot of my itches, matching well with IDW and feeling modern and fresh instead of slavishly G1. Salvia's accesory and coloring as just stellar and once you've done the transformation one or twice it's not that difficult. There's really just the positioning of the legs that's tricky to adjust.

4- Combiner Wars Superion

Kinda cheating here, doubly so because my Superion has two Air Raid and Alpha Bravo (I prefer symetry in my combiners, but I couldn't be bothered to buy a second Firefly before they dissapeared from the shelves), but I think I prefer Superion as a whole than any of the individual Aerialbot. As a group I find their colors boring, but when united the coherent color scheme really pops and the general silhouette is propotioned way better than any other CW gestalt from what I've seen.

3- DX9 Miko for Iron Titan, Windsaber

SO CUUUUUUUUUTE!!! If I could pull off sound in that range I think I would squeal like a happy Japanese schoolgirl every time I look at this little toy. The Hasbro Windblade is way too stoic looking and the transformation is needlessly finicky. This miniature cutie is looks lovely and the transformation would work wonder on a bigger toy (with some added poseability thrown in). For a legend sized toy it has all the articulation you need plus a cool sword accesory. DX9 is a company I want to support in the future.

2-Combiner Wars Leader Ultra Magnus.

What can I say about this guy? The transformation is clever, the articulation feels like limited than the Masterpiece and it's IDW accurate! It has Minimus Amubs!

'Nuff said.

and my number one Transformer of 2015 is...

Combiner Wars Leader Megatron

I've been wanting a good Megatron for a while now. I had good representation for Prime Megatron and Beast Wars Megatron (DRAGON!), but I didn't really have any for a G1-ish grey Megatron, or the new Autobot Megatron from IDW comics. This toy has a sublime tank mode, a stunning paint job and, while it looks odd sometimes in robot mode, a clever turret design! The moving threads and canon are a great trick too. It's fun to be able to pick such a huge bot up and transform him in a few minutes without hassle! Sometimes the more fun you can have with a transformer isn't always by going for the more complicated option.

Well that's my list, do you guys have one for yourself? Any line you got into with surprising result? Maybe some toy you want to shame? (Shame on you Smashor for the crazy hard conversion process!).

Please discuss!

Last edited by Undrave; 01-02-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:36 AM   #2
mrluthor
Robot in Disguise
Re: Top 15 of 2015

Here are my best Transformers I have bought in 2015. I did not buy to many official figures and was disappointed in Hasbro’s Combiner Wars line of figures. The Takara versions of these are much better and came with better paint and proper versions of the characters. Takara Tomy has been doing a good job at making MP figures and making the Diaclone versions but the quality control needs to be improved. My favourite official Takara/Hasbro figure for 2015 was MP23 Exhaust my first Takara figure I have got with no flaws. It is probably the most controversial figure too due to the Marlboro situation. This shows Takara is not afraid of controversy so maybe they will make a new MP Gun Megatron even though I prefer a tank. Last year was a great year for third party figures with multiple companies making characters most thought we would never see. Predaking, Reflector, Devastator, Hound, Mirage, Ironhide, Ratchet, Shockwave and Dinobot wars. The hard part is deciding on what version you want in your collection do I buy third party or wait for an official release or buy them all. Then there are the high quality KO versions some retooled and upsized figures. My figure I pick for 2015 for Third Party figure of the year falls in that category. The Oversized MPP10 Optimus Prime best version I have of Prime which is saying alot since I think MP10 is a cheap piece of crap. WeiJiang has improved on this mold by giving this figure the die cast parts and retooling areas like the legs for better proportions and returning him back to the proper original MP scale established by MP01. I customized round headlights on mine to give it more the G1 true look of Prime. The MPP10 figure is so good that I preordered the AOE Evasion version by them too. Well 2016 is here now hope everyone has a good new year and gets to feed the plastic crack addiction we all have. Here are my top 10 official figures and third party figures I have gotten last year.

Hasbro/Takara Tomy

1. MP23 Exhaust
2. MP 18B Bluestreak
3. Takara Legends LG17 Black widow/Blackarachnia
4. MP 26 Road Rage (My 1985 self can now get the Red Tracks on the back of the G1 Box art and it’s a Fembot and not Alternators Swerve)
5. CW Devastator (had to paint wheels and buy upgrade set for guns cheap Hasbro crap)
6. TAV26 Override
7. TAV30 Battle Grimlock
8. MP 21G/R G2 Bumble / Red Bumble Tie
9. CW G1 Megatron
10. Platinum Edition Trypticon

Best Third Party

1. WeiJiang Oversized Masterpiece Optimus Prime/Convoy MPP10
2. Oversized MP Grimlock KO MP08X 2.0 Reximus Prime
3. XTransbots MX-0I Apollyon (G1 Megatron after seeing my friends I had to buy him and a MP10 Prime which is in my bathroom display)
4. FansToys Sever FT-06 (Snarl)
5. Badcube OTS 5/6/7 Evil Bug Corps Hypno (chest changing gimmick sold me on the set) , Kickbutt & Claymore (Insecticons)
6. FansToys Tesla FT-09 (Perceptor)
7. Make Toys Visualizers (Reflector)
8. DX9 D03C Cocomone (GoBots Crasher)
9. DX9 D03 Invisible/MMC Ocular Max PS01 Sphinx (Bought both like them both the same) (Mirage)
10. WeiJiang Oversized AOE Lockdown
mrluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I will just list one for each:
Hasbro
CW Devastor

3rd party:
FansToys Sever

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Wow this is going to be a tough one seeing I did pick up a lot this year. I'll can come up with 15 but I don't think I can number them as #1 my fav and so on.

1) Junkion Blacksmith Leadership Matrix
2) CW Superion & CW Menasor
3) TFCC Overrun & Runamuck
4) G1 Sixshot (only missing Styrofoam insert)
5) Apollyon
6) FT Sever
7) Movie Fracture
8) MGT-06 Nightbird
9) CW Devy
10) Make Toys Copula
12) AM Final Battle Megatron
13) United Darkside Set
14) Takara Metroplex
15) Terminus Hexatron
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
7) Movie Fracture

We need more Go-bots hommages around here don't you think?
Old 01-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I'd love a new Puzzler lol
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
I'd love a new Puzzler lol
They also have a Legends Cosmos mold without a repaint so far... Official Pathfinder?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #8
elburrito
Animated

Didn't get 15, but of those ibid get,

1. MMC Sphinx - always loved Mirage, but even if I didn't, this guy is just an awesome toy.

2. MP Exhaust - love the mold and it's Drift, or at least as close as we're likely to come in MP scale.

3. G1 Bumblebee, been looking for a good original for a long time.

4. MP Tracks - not Hasui, but still awesome and grows on me more and more. All MP figures should have display stands.

5.MP Roadrage - really digging the remold.

6. MP 18b - blue Prowl mold, looks really sharp.

7. G1 Soundwave.

That's all worthy of mention.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
In no particular order...

-MT Chromedome
-DX9 Rodimus Prime
-FT Snarl
-UT Octane
-XT Megatron
-CW Devastator
-CW Ultra Magnus
-Voodoo Ironhide
-MP Star Saber
-MP Tracks
-FT Bombshell
-FT Perceptor
-KFC Twincast
-DX9 Astrotrain
-UT Astrotrain

Pretty much what I have in mind, but I have one question: UT Astrotrain?
I don't remember UT made a Astrotrain. Do you mean TW Astrotrain?

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
Pascal
Banned

My mistake, I did my list with my wife's tablet trying to remember all the releases by heart.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote