Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #51
elburrito
Animated
Re: Make Toys Downbeat or Toyworld Coolsville?

Picked up Downbeat. I had my doubts. Honestly, the fanfare pushed me over the edge. My verdict? "Ahh Jazzz"

My biggest pre-purchase qualm with this dude was that the head looked off to me. Kind of "pinheadish" on a long neck. In hand, that concern is put to rest. The head sculpt is about as perfect as I have seen a TF.

Now there are some drawbacks. Tabbing the fairings to the hood in vehicle mode is difficult. Maybe impossible. Mine came with one properly tabbed and the other "sprung". I didn't investigate the cause because I couldn't give a hoot about vehicle mode (although apart from the sprung fairing, it looked pretty much like a 1980 Porsche 935).

Getting Downbeat into bot mode is pretty easy until one gets to the legs. There is no nice way to say, the transformation is ugly. "Tabs" is the word. At one point I began to despair that the bot mode may not come together solidly.

BUT, in the end, everything worked out. There's perhaps too much going on with the lower legs, but the finished product is real nice.

The articulation is par for an MP-style figure. The "ab-crunch" is deep and works better than any I have seen so far.

The white plastic is by no means the eye-sore I had heard and the overall proportions are excellent.

For a G1 MTMTE fan who displays in bot mode, I unreservedly recommend this dude.

MaKe Toys has definitely thrown down the gauntlet. If Takara answers, it would have to be mind blowing. Until then, Downbeat is my MP Jazz

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #52
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

I have Downbeat and he is wonderful! He looks exactly like a Masterpiece Jazz should look. I have him posed with his grapple weapon and it looks just like the scene from Sherman Dam. I highly recommend him. He's got heft and lots of poseability.

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #53
Fireflight
Machine War

This thread has me officially sold on Downbeat. Will be picking him up he next chance I get.
Fireflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #54
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I bought Downbeat the other day, and I gotta say. It is a HUGE let down. Really not on par with their regular stuff.

The gaps in the forearms, the holes in the chest beside the "autobot" symbol, and those legs. Those legs are a fucking nightmare. I'm glad there are those that are happy with him, but this just isn't the figure for me, and really, the first legit let down from MakeToys in a very long time.

I've learned the lesson I've been preaching for a while. Wait for the official, Season 1 cast will come in time.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #55
optimusb39
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I bought Downbeat the other day, and I gotta say. It is a HUGE let down. Really not on par with their regular stuff.

The gaps in the forearms, the holes in the chest beside the "autobot" symbol, and those legs. Those legs are a fucking nightmare. I'm glad there are those that are happy with him, but this just isn't the figure for me, and really, the first legit let down from MakeToys in a very long time.

I've learned the lesson I've been preaching for a while. Wait for the official, Season 1 cast will come in time.
I'll take downbeat off your hands if you like. Pm me
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote