Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #141
Marcotron
Robot Master
Re: Is new pricing keeping you away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrue View Post
Because 76.99 is what everyone is selling it for. TRU is overcharging.
I did not even realize how badly TRU was gauging people on Leaders.
That's disgusting.

The last "Leader" class figure I bought at TRU was Siege Astrotrain, and Shockwave, and they were on clearance for $37 each. Still felt not worth it... Decent for voyagers I guess... I expect more out of a leader class figure.
Marcotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #142
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
I did not even realize how badly TRU was gauging people on Leaders.
That's disgusting.

The last "Leader" class figure I bought at TRU was Siege Astrotrain, and Shockwave, and they were on clearance for $37 each. Still felt not worth it... Decent for voyagers I guess... I expect more out of a leader class figure.
they're gouging on all classes. they have deluxes at 43, voyager at 50, leaders at 85. all above MSRP

before US TRU folded, this is something they were doing as well. It was their standard practice to charge above MSRP on most things. 20% off sale would bring a LEGO set down to ... MSRP.

It's not why they folded, necessarily. The hedgefund bullshit was a big part. But it certainly was not good foer their rep or business.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #143
canprime
Nexus Maximus
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
they're gouging on all classes. they have deluxes at 43, voyager at 50, leaders at 85. all above MSRP

before US TRU folded, this is something they were doing as well. It was their standard practice to charge above MSRP on most things. 20% off sale would bring a LEGO set down to ... MSRP.

It's not why they folded, necessarily. The hedgefund bullshit was a big part. But it certainly was not good foer their rep or business.
And as a purely anecdotal bit of evidence, look at the posts on here about TRU this year. They have slowed way down, and sightings are down as well. Not too mention the posts mentioning lack of purchases, or visits.

Granted this is all anecdotal, but I think there is a slowdown.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #144
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
And as a purely anecdotal bit of evidence, look at the posts on here about TRU this year. They have slowed way down, and sightings are down as well. Not too mention the posts mentioning lack of purchases, or visits.

Granted this is all anecdotal, but I think there is a slowdown.
it's barely worth the visit, the selection has been crap. my nearest TRU still has PILES of SS Demolishor, hardly anything new, and it rarely changes.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #145
delrue
Crossover

I had always assumed it was all the baby stuff an Lego carrying those stores but even that stuff has had the price jacked up.

Last edited by delrue; 04-27-2022 at 07:24 PM.
delrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #146
Napseeker
Generation 2

I used to stop off at my local TRU after doing my grocery shopping since it was just a 7 min walk away. Today I just did my grocery shopping and went straight home.

Seriously, why bother? They have no selection, nothing new (except those useless "Carbonized" Star Wars figures) and everything is overpriced. That new owner has turned TRU into Sunrise Records i.e. a place that I never shop at.

Their new book section isn't going to save them.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #147
Tiffster
Classic

I avoid tru completely. I peeked my head in 3 weeks ago and found buzzworthy silvetstreak, a figure I want, then choked on the $43 price and left the store. Gi joe classified figures are $45 and they don't even transform. Serious garbage store now. Most of my tf from gsmestop now with sprinkling of Walmart
Tiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:03 PM   #148
timcrook
Cybertron

It's depressing to see these price increases. But looking at prices before ($21.95 for a deluxe) and the packaging date(2014) that's 8 years ago. This is life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220429_145010.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	51664  
Old 05-05-2022, 06:09 AM   #149
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
It's depressing to see these price increases. But looking at prices before ($21.95 for a deluxe) and the packaging date(2014) that's 8 years ago. This is life.

You know, given impending price increases, and having a few characters I still need to get, I'm questioning both the long term viability of this hobby and am contemplating three possible options to get figures of characters I don't yet have.

1) Track down the WfC trilogy figure, probably at some dumb aftermarket/scalper price.

2) Wait for a new figure of the character at some point down the road, which may or may not happen soon, depending on the character's popularity. And if this option is taken, I certainly will be paying those price increases.

3) Buy an older figure of that character from a previous line. Some older figures still hold up, like Generations Turbo Tracks or Generations Arcee, and are even considered superior to the characters' WfC figures. It may even be better, since they come from a time before Hasbro's current cost cutting, and they thus may be larger or have better gimmicktry. Of course, the price I would pay for any of those older figures can vary.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #150
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcrook View Post
Where did you buy these? Because they weren't 21.95 at Wal-Mart, TRU, etc. That is specialty store pricing.

When those toys came out, deluxes were still 14.99-16.99 MSRP.

When Combiner Wars hit, the deluxe price jumped to 17.99 and then 19.99 during or with TR.

The MSRP for deluxes for most of Prime Wars was 19.99. It jumped ten dollars for Siege. We went from about a five dollar increase over five years to ten dollars in one. and now another 7.