Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #31
imfallenangel
Cybertron
Re: Considering quitting collecting ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
The price hike that really pissed me off was the AOE figures going for 19.99, and then for the last knight, they released the exact same toys, now in a box instead of a blister pack, for 29.99. I said nope, and only purchased Cogman when it was on sale for half price, and I was still disappointed with the crappy plastic and basic-ness of the transformation.

In the Siege line, I impulse bought ravage and laserbeak, but these little toys are not worth what I paid for them. I'm debating getting Springer and Jetfire, but that's about it. The rest of the Siege line doesn't do a lot for me.

When the SS waves started, I was finding it funny to see so many ranting about them when they are (many of them) recolored old movie figures... at a premium of 10-20$ more. The wing plane Megatron was the one that made me face-palm the most.. a 15$ blister pack figures from just a few years earlier, now in a fancy box and a bit of paint and it was sold for 39$ (if believe.. maybe 29$)... but a 100% + price increase regardless.

I did get the Cogman at 21$ a few months ago, and he does have flaws that shows lazyness of the engineering, but he's actually a nice enough figure.

For the Siege, it's either your cup of tea or it isn't. They are so much better than the last several series in both design and plastics, but still I find a lot of engineering laziness, especially for the emptyness syndrome that is back for the majority of them. I just purchased "fillers" for Soundwave's hands and the arms mounts (for cassette player mode), and for Ultra Magnus as I really like this figure, but those shoulder sections should have never been left empty.

So still, if we are to state what sucks as the years go by is:
  1. the emptyness syndrome (ES)... a few pennies' worth of plastic would made a lot of figures look and be so much better/more solid. Siege OP (Voyager) is probably the best example of a recent figure that doesn't suffer from this.
  2. The lack of accessories, Siege Prowl or Sideswipe.. proper shoulder missiles/cannons would have been so nice, again, have to compensate with 3rd parties kits.
  3. The engineering laziness (EL), where you can easily see that a figure could have been improved a lot by just a few extra things that one can see that it's almost as if Hasbro looked at the development and said "ok, good enough, this will sell!".

For the spy team, you might not like them as much as others, but for me, I find them great, again a bit of EL, but overall, considering their sizes.. but they should have been "accessories" to Soundwave, and I fell that the other cassettes should be already announced by now (but nothing, so those might be completely ignored).

Springer is nice, but does have a bit of flaws I find... again, EL, ES, and the transformation is more of a pain that if should have been. The worse I'd say is his feet.. they are just badly done, barely holds and I would believe that they'll wear and won't support the figure with time and play.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #32
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
The only figure that I've been excited about in years was the Bumblebee Optimus Prime, and while I like its design the toy itself turned out to be kind of crap (a bunch of fiddly little panels that never quite fit together and always get in each other's way.) I'm still keeping my eye on new announcements but I'm definitely a lot less interested in the hobby than I was a few years ago.
I never even found that Optimus but from what I read about that Hasbro Prime, having 3A's Prime on PO is probably a better decision for me.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 AM   #33
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus

I had to get mine from Amazon.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #34
Jonnydark
Beast Machine

I quit collecting a few years ago. I sold my toys and I've been happier for it. I'm doing a real Marie Kondo thing where I'm only keeping things that spark joy.

I did buy an Optimus Prime Animation Cel though... And I'm looking to get it signed by Peter Cullen. And I've got a Masterpeice scale Downbeat. But that's all the transformers I need.

If I'm curious how a Transformer transforms I look at reviews on Youtube. That satisfies the curiosity for for me.

There are two ways to be wealthy: Have lots or Need less. I've decided the "Need less" path is for me. It's okay to change and evolve as a person. There is no shame in enjoying a fandom for years and then moving on. It's not healthy at all to wrap ones identity up with a single corporate brand. There is a lot of life out there and there may be things you enjoy even more than Transformers. It's okay to let go and explore.

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #35
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
I never even found that Optimus but from what I read about that Hasbro Prime, having 3A's Prime on PO is probably a better decision for me.
I’d rather have the ToyWorld one... looks nice and transformable. 3A track records and price points don’t align, either.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #36
JonoPrime
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydark View Post
There are two ways to be wealthy: Have lots or Need less. I've decided the "Need less" path is for me. It's okay to change and evolve as a person. There is no shame in enjoying a fandom for years and then moving on. It's not healthy at all to wrap ones identity up with a single corporate brand. There is a lot of life out there and there may be things you enjoy even more than Transformers. It's okay to let go and explore.
Wonderfully put!
JonoPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #37
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
to fill the void.
I think we gotta start elsewhere with this topic before we talk about collecting
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote