Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #11
justprime
Animated
Re: TF Prices and Michael Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwaves View Post
Seems like tf sales are slowing down.

I think the re invigoration that came from baysformers is starting to dwindle.

I don't think kids growing up are going to have the same affinity for the new transformers as us children of the 80's did.

The best performing movie out of the 3 terrible new ones had the worst toy sales and left a bad taste in a lot of major retailers mouths.

Hasbro had their kick at the can and it turned out to be more of a soft toe nudge.

It seems like while there hasn't been a huge drop in prices for tf's outside of the bayverse, nothing is moving fast.

I see so many items posted over and over again where sellers are looking for the premium they've gotten accustomed to.

I think we're seeing the end of the top of the market for tf's.

I know a lot of the classics stuff that I bought after market for example I could never sell for what I paid

i think this is a good thing and am looking forward to the bottom.
Hasbros been killing the line of late with poor qc ,cheaper plastic ,untold repaints with little resculpts,higher pricing for less and by that I mean not only toy size but the transformation process of the toys themselves,(read this a dumming down the original concept of this toyline) availability as always.... backed up with a lack luster series(after cg 2d REALLY ) and that they seem to have forgotten the major spending of the older fandom (read the collectors here) that they seem to have alienated ,the insipation that has kept this line alive these past decades has seemed to quite quickly dissapated,the future on this path seems bleak the exception is the expensive third party pieces. .....where do we go from here?
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
Soundwaves
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by justprime View Post
Hasbros been killing the line of late with poor qc ,cheaper plastic ,untold repaints with little resculpts,higher pricing for less and by that I mean not only toy size but the transformation process of the toys themselves,(read this a dumming down the original concept of this toyline) availability as always.... backed up with a lack luster series(after cg 2d REALLY ) and that they seem to have forgotten the major spending of the older fandom (read the collectors here) that they seem to have alienated ,the insipation that has kept this line alive these past decades has seemed to quite quickly dissapated,the future on this path seems bleak the exception is the expensive third party pieces. .....where do we go from here?

Kind of what Hasbro has always done, no?

I think the movie put this franchise back on the radar but th lustre has worn off and nobody really cares that much anymore.

We're about as hardcore as collectors of tfs get and I see disinterest and apathy all around, mp still carries weight but you don't see figures selling out in two days either.

That goes for hasbro and 3p.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
fishtifer
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
Interested in a Six Changer Sixshot? No weapons but in pretty decent shape? CW Devy- In hand it is absolutely awesome. I will never get rid of mine. It's a permanent fixture.
Probably not, I didn't have Sixshot when I was a kid but my friend did, I didn't really care too much for that TF. Thanks though!
fishtifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
...CW Devy- In hand it is absolutely awesome. I will never get rid of mine. It's a permanent fixture.
Until an official Takara MP Constucticons / Devastator come out...
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Quote:
Interested in a Six Changer Sixshot? No weapons but in pretty decent shape? CW Devy- In hand it is absolutely awesome. I will never get rid of mine. It's a permanent fixture.
My thoughts exactly!!!
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
Until an official Takara MP Constucticons / Devastator come out...
If MP puts out a Devy, it will have to be even bigger than CW Dev.
As cool as the CW is, he doesn't scale well enough with the MP stuff in alt mode. (mixmaster should have a cab as big as Prime) I estimate he would have to be 30 to 40% bigger. But the seekers are all way way too small in alt mode also so what can ya do. It's got to be tough for the designers to make these designs

Last edited by CAF; 08-22-2015 at 02:39 PM.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
joshimus
Metroplex

I think the problem is that the quality of toys and pricing has gotten out of hand. DOTM made use of extra weapons where they could have put that into the toy designs instead. AOE had too many of the same kind of toys and different skill levels while being exactly the same skill level. RID is just uninteresting since it's again a lot of repaints and almost no villains. For a show about hunting down decepticons, there arent many toys of them. Instead you can get repaints of the autobots or various different size autobots and the same skill level.
It's just not interesting for parents anymore. Kids don't care about the same toy over and over, but parents do.
There is a lot of fatigue in the TF lines. Same shit, over-priced value.
I'm cutting back on my collection to begin with, and RID is an easy start as well as the CW repaints.
That said, I don't collect as an long term investment either.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Circle of life. Everything has its ups and downs.

G1 up
G2 down
Beast Wars up
Beast Machines down
RID2000/Unicron Trilogy - Somewhere in between.

And since then it's been an extended up period with the movies, Animated, Prime, etc.

So it's expected there will be a bit of a down period. I for one, am enjoying RID15. The toys are OK, but I'm more interested in CW. Which is a good solid toy line.

The cost cutting all around is obvious. And for me, this is the limit for what I'll accept for what they charge.

As an aside, I just picked up a set of KO TFC Uranos, and realized how close the simplified KO designs are to mainline transformers, hollow bits etc. The plastic is of a lower quality, but if it was just a bit better, the overall toy would be on par with what's being designed by has/tak.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #19
Soundwaves
Robot Master

So it seems everyone sees the writing on the wall.

Short of another big hollywood reboot, better to hold of on buying anything in the after market because chances are, everything will just get cheaper.
Soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote