Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 AM   #101
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: The Star Trek "REAL FAN'S" ;) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstewling View Post
The last truly good Star Trek show made was Deep Space Nine, and in all honesty it was the best show that ever had the name Star Trek attached to it.
It's too bad they didn't have another show like Babylon 5 to crib off of. Maybe Enterprise would have been better. Hummmm maybe they should try a revival Battlestar: Enterprise.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #102
Johnstewling
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
It's too bad they didn't have another show like Babylon 5 to crib off of. Maybe Enterprise would have been better. Hummmm maybe they should try a revival Battlestar: Enterprise.
They didn't actually steal the idea from Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine was already in the works before J.Michael Strajinski was involved.

Even that aside, Deep Space Nine did it better than Babylon 5 did. Better acting, better writing, better story, better special effects.

I like B5, but it's not even close to DS9 in quality.
Johnstewling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #103
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

So recently there has been a bit of a push to get Star Trek back on the Small screen by a somewhat unlikly, but influential person.

What would you all think is Seth Mcfarlane was given the keys to the kingdom?
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #104
Supernova
Second star to the right

It's definitely no secret that he's a huge fan of Trek, between all the references in Family Guy (both as jokes and cameos from cast members), his actual appearance on Enterprise (I think it was just the one time, right?), and making Cosmos happen (which I think had an incredible theme that would have fit Star Trek to a T).

I honestly believe that if he did somehow bring Star Trek to television again (though given how that franchise is split between CBS and Paramount these days, it's a tricky proposition), he would give the show the respectful treatment that it does deserve.

(To think, this is coming from a person that really doesn't care much for Seth Mcfarlane....)

Transformers and Other Stuff For Sale

My Feedback Thread
Supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #105
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
So recently there has been a bit of a push to get Star Trek back on the Small screen by a somewhat unlikly, but influential person.

If he makes it like Galaxy Quest, I'm all in!
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #106
Johnstewling
Banned

Quote:

I think he'd be fine. Star Trek needs to be on tv again.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #107
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
They didn't actually steal the idea from Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine was already in the works before J.Michael Strajinski was involved.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but JMS started developing the story in 1986 and pitched it to Paramount executives in 1989, giving them a pilot script, story bible, along with synopsis for 22 episodes. B5 was green lit by Warner Bro. in 1991.

That same year executives from Paramount approached Berman about developing a new Star Trek franchise, DS9.

Here's a link to a Star Trek wiki pointing out the large amount of similarities in concept, story elements, and episodes, with more in-depth details about what JMS thinks happened.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Babylon_5

Quote:
I like B5, but it's not even close to DS9 in quality.
Regardless of perceived quality, it doesn't excuse the theft of an intellectual property. I mean there are companies out there making high quality KOs of transformers. It still doesn't negate the fact that what they're making is a KO and what they're doing is wrong.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #108
Johnstewling
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I don't know where you're getting your information, but JMS started developing the story in 1986 and pitched it to Paramount executives in 1989, giving them a pilot script, story bible, along with synopsis for 22 episodes. B5 was green lit by Warner Bro. in 1991.

That same year executives from Paramount approached Berman about developing a new Star Trek franchise, DS9.

Here's a link to a Star Trek wiki pointing out the large amount of similarities in concept, story elements, and episodes, with more in-depth details about what JMS thinks happened.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Babylon_5

Regardless of perceived quality, it doesn't excuse the theft of an intellectual property. I mean there are companies out there making high quality KOs of transformers. It still doesn't negate the fact that what they're making is a KO and what they're doing is wrong.
And again, I've read several articles stating they didn't steal the idea. Did they create a similar one based of JMS? Sure, but a good deal of what Ira Steven Behr did was not copying JMS.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #109
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I feel that Macfarlane could have the juice to make it happen and honestly, I think he would do a great job. Now the question would be... what universe??

Do you try and develop a new story in a TNG universe? Maybe put it way in the future?
Or do you stick it in NuTrek and leverage the clean slate potential of a new(ish) universe.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #110
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:

Seth helped bring back Carl Sagan's Cosmos, now hosted by "King Of The Science Nerds" Neil deGrasse Tyson. It's a little CG-heavy but beautifully done and very entertaining/educative.

I'm all for Seth helping bring Trek back to TV since everything he's done beyond Family Guy has been good.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote