Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: A rant about bots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcotron View Post
Im just gonna replay TF Devastation on the ps3...
Or TF Armada on the PS2!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #12
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post
Or TF Armada on the PS2!
That is a FANTASTIC choice. Honestly, I liked Armada game more than Devestation.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
Darkmatter
Insert Funny Here

I'm waiting for my turn for a 3000 series Nvidia GPU from EVGA.

I don't know why these companies aren't being pressured by the manufacturers to put better safety nets in to prevent this sort of thing. Anyone who buys a product within a few seconds of it going live should get flagged for a further look, even by a computer. Has that person, credit card, address, or whatever had a past history of buying this fast? Are they buying a lot? BAN THEM!
Darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #14
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
I'm waiting for my turn for a 3000 series Nvidia GPU from EVGA.

I don't know why these companies aren't being pressured by the manufacturers to put better safety nets in to prevent this sort of thing. Anyone who buys a product within a few seconds of it going live should get flagged for a further look, even by a computer. Has that person, credit card, address, or whatever had a past history of buying this fast? Are they buying a lot? BAN THEM!
I find it hard to believe there isn't a better way to track bots, multiple purchases by the same person etc. For starters, especially video cards, there is no reason to be able to add more than 1 to your cart. Anything shipping to the same address under multiple names and emails should be questionable. Even if the email addresses are similar I would say check them out as bots.
What they should do is a waitlist. You get notified and you have 24hrs to decide, but it's allocated to you until then. So no one else can take it unless you miss the 24hr window or decide you want to cancel. This could potentially help avoid bots from getting them first, but unfortunately it's all about money, and they don't really care so long as they sell out.

It's the same reason I don't collect Marvel Legends figures. If a store gets 2 cases and a scalper gets both of the single one from both boxes, you can't build your BAF. It is literally why I won't support the line anymore and haven't for years. I mean, especially since Covid 2020, I work over 50hr weeks. I don't have f***ing time to go out and search for shit anymore. Hell, most places I go to open when I have already been at work for hours and close just as I am finished work.

So yeah, I think what they are doing online is bunk. Taking away opportunities for people that ACTUALLY the product and basically just handing them to people who want to sell them for a big profit. I doubt it will ever get better though because to the companies that make the product, it's sold...so who cares about integrity
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #15
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

I'm hoping that 'bot deterrent' or 'bot proof' buying technologies will be a competitive advantage for companies...a customer need to that will drive increased sales. I would shop more and even pay more for an item selling on a website/company with such technology. In the meantime, I value those companies that put proper limits on orders, to at least reduce the scalping, and try to buy there first.

The other problem here is (IMHO) how antiquated the pre-order concept is for measuring demand...there has to be a better way to ensure there's enough products for the number of buyers out there and therefore limiting the disruption these 'middlemen' scalpers put on the actual numbers. Clearly we've seen examples where WAY too few of Item A is producted, while Item B sits on the virtual shelves gathering dust.

And sure, there will always be limited runs...but why is it that you have to sit next to a computer or phone all the time to capitalize? Again, there has got to be a way to at least improve this, so people can, you know...live their normal lives? At some point, we're talking about really loyal people...people that may even buy stuff sight unseen because of the trust that's built up in the product and/or company. For example, I'd love to 'subscribe' to a product line...and say 'yep, I'm buying all of these, I don't have time to order each one, and I'll save you the time as well...just send them to my front door, here's my money, no questions asked'.

To me, these are some of the most important items in the near-future of e-commerce.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:28 AM   #16
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
And sure, there will always be limited runs...but why is it that you have to sit next to a computer or phone all the time to capitalize? Again, there has got to be a way to at least improve this, so people can, you know...live their normal lives? At some point, we're talking about really loyal people...people that may even buy stuff sight unseen because of the trust that's built up in the product and/or company. For example, I'd love to 'subscribe' to a product line...and say 'yep, I'm buying all of these, I don't have time to order each one, and I'll save you the time as well...just send them to my front door, here's my money, no questions asked'.

To me, these are some of the most important items in the near-future of e-commerce.
Call me cynical, but somewhere someone must think that it's better to under produce and make something "rare", so it creates a higher-than-available demand and hype. This way they don't ever have left over stock, an can tell their bosses they sold out of all their product.

IMHO, companies run on short term thinking now, because people don't tend to stay long term. My feeling is they milk whatever they can out of an IP while they work there, and then, leave for greener pastures before things take a down turn. Let the next person clean up that mess.