Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #31
Magnimus
Alternator
Re: Transformers 3 to bring Core Mythology to the fore

Just like they did with the Matrix sock of fairy dust?

Sure, they might bring core mythology to the fore, but then they'll POOP ON IT
Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #32
Prowl_2009
A Decepticons Downfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Unicron doesn't belong in the Bay series because he's just an excuse to have a ginormous explosion in space, and add some zero-g CGI sequences.

Unicron's just been so overdeveloped as a character / force / entity / deity that he can't be used properly. Its like Superman back a couple decades ago when he could extinguish a star by clapping his hands.

I mean really, how do you write a character with such immense power and influence, and THEN make him basically immortal? And then you go even beyond that and make him the embodiment of chaos that existed before the big bang.

At least Superman had a susceptibility to any form of magic above and beyond kryptonite, plus, Superman's actually mortal and not all powerful (now that they toned down much of his abilities).

I'm not saying that Unicron should never be used again, but he needs a break after being featured so heavily in AEC, Universe, BWN, and Marvel.

edit:

Unicron's become the cliche end boss.

/edit
Good point and I agree 100%!

"Logic is the Ultimate Weapon." - Prowl

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Prowl_2009

Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook: Infinite Earths
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #33
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan101 View Post
Funny you mention that, other then the characters in name (not 100% in design, or behaviour) but the movie just took aspects from EVERYWHERE, the concept of sparks came in Beast Wars, the Allspark from Beast Machines, the Fallen from War Within, protoforms and how they enter the atmosphere was also beast wars-esque, Optimus combining with Jetfire was in Armada (wing saber in Energon and Cybertron but a flyer, the first combining Optimus from RID), Jolt was a G2 laser rod figure originally, etc etc

Thats why I think the movies are kinda cool in a way that they do pull from a lot of mythos in the huge transformers multiverse.
Beast Wars, protoforms and how they enter the atmosphere? What do you mean, like how they fall to Earth from space?

Quote:
Mmmrrrrmmmmm honestly here's 2 reasons ROTF suffered, the writing got rushed due to the writers strike (I think if that didn't happen this would have been more coherent, speed/accuracy trade off), and the fact that Orci and Kurtzman started with a third story in mind and started removing things once they felt they didn't want to do a third one.

For the Fallen the original story for him was much better and we had that presented to us in the novel and parts of the comic before it got diluted in the movie. What we didn't see in the movie is that the Fallen made contact with Megatron offering him the power of a Prime, and if Megatron got the Allspark then the power would be his, provided Megatron controlled Cybertron, and the Fallen would have everything else.

At the end of the movie, the Fallen was supposed to betray Megatron and tell him that you can't grant the power of a Prime (this is still in the video game, and you fight the Fallen as Megatron too) and Megatron turns on his "master". More or less Megatron was just "playing" the Fallen till he would get what he wanted, and never really consider him a master to him, where as in the film, you don't get that impression at all...even to the point of Megatron sighing when the Fallen is killed.

Now why was that not portrayed in the film? My guess is Orci and Kurtzman removed it because this was somehow supposed to connect to the next movie and since they wanted to pass the wheel to a new writer they didn't want to "lock him down" into writing something based off their work and he can have a fresh slate. In fact the last time we were supposed to see Megatron would have been back on the Nemesis all pissed off after the Fallen lied to him and his defeat by humans again that he starts to activate Decepticons in the stasis pods and rise his army for movie 3....but again...tossed (this was also seen in the video game and comic adaptation).

PS: for those that don't think a video game/novel/comic adaptation of the movie is a good source, remember that all of those use earlier drafts of the script before all the last minute changes and post production cuts.

Took the words out of my mouth, its a good foundation but I just don't see Transformers starting and ending with it like many a fan does.

Oh trust me, Prime had some bad lines too but quite possibly my favourite quote from G1 is "One shall stand, one shall fall"
Didn't Michael Bay write a chunk of rotf himself? I swear I read that before.

If I were to read one book that better explains a lot of rotf, which one would you recommend?

And, in terms of memorable/cool lines from G1, I like pretty much everything that came out of Galvatron's mouth at any point lol.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #34
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Galvatron View Post
Beast Wars, protoforms and how they enter the atmosphere? What do you mean, like how they fall to Earth from space?

Didn't Michael Bay write a chunk of rotf himself? I swear I read that before.

If I were to read one book that better explains a lot of rotf, which one would you recommend?

And, in terms of memorable/cool lines from G1, I like pretty much everything that came out of Galvatron's mouth at any point lol.
The protoforms originated in Beast Wars, and the whole entering the atmosphere alone and scanning your own form was also from Beast Wars. Difference is in the movie their entry mode is more or less the BW stasis pod. Whats also funny is their cybertronian robot modes look simple and silver like the BW protoforms too :P

As for a good read....I guess the movie adaptation novel. Gives you a good idea on the early script. As for Bay writing he went a head and started filming based on the simple 13 or so page draft Orci and Kurtzman came up with so some lines were done on set from my understanding.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #35
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
The protoforms originated in Beast Wars, and the whole entering the atmosphere alone and scanning your own form was also from Beast Wars. Difference is in the movie their entry mode is more or less the BW stasis pod. Whats also funny is their cybertronian robot modes look simple and silver like the BW protoforms too :P

As for a good read....I guess the movie adaptation novel. Gives you a good idea on the early script. As for Bay writing he went a head and started filming based on the simple 13 or so page draft Orci and Kurtzman came up with so some lines were done on set from my understanding.
O.k. I hear you on the protoforms now.

And thanks, I will look into the novel of rotf next time i'm in a book store.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #36
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:

PS: for those that don't think a video game/novel/comic adaptation of the movie is a good source, remember that all of those use earlier drafts of the script before all the last minute changes and post production cuts.
It really has nothing to do with the quality of the source, but those sources change nothing about what appeared on screen in the film.

I'm sure there could be a list assembled about the challenges being faced by producers of the Transformers Cartoon in the 80's, excuses likely could be made for every issue that appeared in that show in a very similar way.

Both ROTF and the G1 cartoon are entertaining and both have errors and flaws. Hell, I like both, I like watching both and have even watched some of both this week.(It helps having a six year old around)

G1 may not have stood the test of time for everyone but I know numerous little kids that enjoy watching it(as well as numerous adults), so despite its many errors it still seems to be able to attract a new audience.

Even at C4 our video room showing G1 Transformers on the Sunday was pretty full(granted there were only 15 seats or so) with a mixture of adults and kids having a good time.

Beast Wars did just as well on Saturday to So there was lots of love to go around.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote