Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
ssjgoku22
Nexus Maximus
Are Early Leaks of Figures Hurting Hasbro?

I saw this interesting video on YouTube discussing this topic. Basically it's discussing if all of these early leaks of Transformers are having negative effects on Hasbro's business. Early leaks pertain to other Youtuber's such as Prime vs Prime leaking videos of figures well before the release date or pictures of figures getting leaked on TFW before Hasbro even gets a chance to announce them.

Some good points are made. Just wanted to know some other thoughts about the issue. Here's the video link:

https://youtu.be/8LhR5wKLTHE
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:33 AM   #2
cerhit
Machine War
Re: Are Early Leaks of Figures Hurting Hasbro?

They are making Hasbros fan first Fridays less interesting.
cerhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:48 AM   #3
Ransak The Elder
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerhit View Post
They are making Hasbros fan first Fridays less interesting.
A lot of their fans are at work when it happens. Given the option of seeing pictures of some hype man holding up the figure or factory shots... I would go with the factory shots.

Does it hurt the business? Probably not when global distribution takes months. It would also cost a small fortune to keep things secret which is impractical when it comes to toys.

Was the recent ravage 2 pack leaked before hand? I think they are capable of it they just do not with most things.
Ransak The Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:39 AM   #4
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

This has been happening for like a decade. Maybe more. Back in the day there were Youtubers whining about how other YouTubers would pay exorbitant prices for stolen toys out of factories, so they could be the first to review a toy and get all the views. EG. to my recollection, $300 for an animated Blitzwing.

And as far as I know, it didn't hurt the sales back then. Animated was received well.

IMHO, if anything is hurting Hasbro, it's their shitty business practices, like hard to find/get exclusives. Hard to make a sale when there's none of your product on the shelf. They literally have customers with cash in hand wanting to buy, but it appears to be not enough cash, not enough profit, so that customer gets ignored for the quick buck exclusivity brings.

It's short sighted thinking.

Also, if you think Transformers is bad right now, you should check out the GI-Joe classified line. The product is in demand, but stores only get like one box. For example, I saw these numbers on a live stream with a former product and design manager. There was a claim that said Hasbro sold 30 000 Target exclusive Cobra Troopers. Sounds like a big number, right? But if you take into account there are almost 2k Target stores, it works out to like each store receiving 16 figures.

To me it's Hasbro shooting themselves in the nuts and wondering why they're in such pain.

I'm hardly a expert in business, but making your product hard to get and giving the customer less but charging more is not a winning formula in my books.

So I hardly think that having an early peak at an upcoming product is going to hurt sales. Well... unless what you have to offer is complete shit. If the product is good, it'll create buzz and demand. If it's shit, people will stay away and say no thanks. Think movie trailers/teasers.

/rant
Old 08-27-2021, 01:40 AM   #5
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I hate the leaks. Think about this from the toy designers POV. Would you want your work revealed by a bunch of low quality leaked pictures, or would you like the excitement and quality of an official reveal?

The leaks don't do anybody any favours. I don't think it hurts Hasbro, from a financial standpoint, but I think leaks just make the hobby less fun.. I love the pageantry of an official reveal. That's why I'm so excited for tomorrow! We haven't seen any leaks of what that will look like yet, and that's exciting! I have my alarm set. Even if I was working, I could catch up on it, watch it later or look at the official photos on my break or after work. All of these are much better than a leak. And let's be honest, I'd have loved to have found out what character it was tomorrow, instead of the leaks... But alas..

Another thing with leaks... Let's say a leaker reveals a toy to us, and let's say Hasbro is set to reveal that toy in 2 months. Well, it's gonna be a while before that toy is revealed, so why is it fun to wait an extra 2 months for this toy? I don't get it. Just let Hasbro do their thing.

Last edited by Mumps; 08-27-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

I will say regarding leaks that I feel there's two types of leaks and there's major differences between the two in how they play out - TEXT leaks and PHOTO leaks.

When listings leak, it gets our imaginations going. It gives us an idea of WHAT is coming, but our brains still have to fill in the gaps. And that gap-filling engenders hype and excitement. (Also, these Hasbro can't really control considering a lot of them come from retailer databases).

PHOTO leaks on the other hand... they leave nothing to the imagination. And while the text leaks just bring noteriety, you have incentive to leak toys driven by YouTube monetization.

It's one thing if a leak comes after Hasbro's revealed the toy. Then they got to show off the plastic figure first. But if a leak comes before Hasbro it sets the tone for discussion before it's even been shown off. A mistransformation means that most people will come in with a negative bias.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #7
savagephil
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
This has been happening for like a decade. Maybe more. Back in the day there were Youtubers whining about how other YouTubers would pay exorbitant prices for stolen toys out of factories, so they could be the first to review a toy and get all the views. EG. to my recollection, $300 for an animated Blitzwing.

And as far as I know, it didn't hurt the sales back then. Animated was received well.

IMHO, if anything is hurting Hasbro, it's their shitty business practices, like hard to find/get exclusives. Hard to make a sale when there's none of your product on the shelf. They literally have customers with cash in hand wanting to buy, but it appears to be not enough cash, not enough profit, so that customer gets ignored for the quick buck exclusivity brings.

It's short sighted thinking.

Also, if you think Transformers is bad right now, you should check out the GI-Joe classified line. The product is in demand, but stores only get like one box. For example, I saw these numbers on a live stream with a former product and design manager. There was a claim that said Hasbro sold 30 000 Target exclusive Cobra Troopers. Sounds like a big number, right? But if you take into account there are almost 2k Target stores, it works out to like each store receiving 16 figures.

To me it's Hasbro shooting themselves in the nuts and wondering why they're in such pain.

I'm hardly a expert in business, but making your product hard to get and giving the customer less but charging more is not a winning formula in my books.

So I hardly think that having an early peak at an upcoming product is going to hurt sales. Well... unless what you have to offer is complete shit. If the product is good, it'll create buzz and demand. If it's shit, people will stay away and say no thanks. Think movie trailers/teasers.

/rant
So true with everything you said. Hasbro has massive distribution problem, we are all still waiting for bloody coneheads. They should really leave exclusives here in Canada to ebgames toys r us and Walmart. Amazon is trash, that being said.

I don't think the leaks hurt hasbro, my understanding is the WFC trilogy and studio series line making them tons of money. I personally don't mind watching a review of a leaked toy, sometimes it builds the hype and want for them even more, like kingdom. Galvatron studio series 86 line, and the upcoming tigatron and pipes. I think hasbro knows this as well. Any publicity is good publicity. They see the buzz online for a figure even before the release and they know it's gonna sell well from people clamoring about it.

In a way it's free advertising for them. I tend to find the fan first hasbro events boring. They really need to up their game and release it ahead of leakers. Kingdom wave 4 should have been revealed already. Most of us already have wave 3.

But hasbro kinda tolerates the leaks in a way
savagephil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Lol massive price hikes
Shit poor distribution
Preorder cancellation or limbo
.yeah, it's the leaks that are hurting Hasbro

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Lol massive price hikes
Shit poor distribution
Preorder cancellation or limbo
.yeah, it's the leaks that are hurting Hasbro

Pretty much ....

In other words, why the hell would leaks change a single thing.

I like the leaks, I love the leaks, I get to see the stuff that Hasbro should be showing from the start of the development to encourage the hype over the figures...

I want to know what the heck the figure is going to be like in "real life" and not just high quality fake renderings that end up being an illusion.

What hurts Hasbro? Hasbro does.... everything said here, and also the quality of the figures, or should I say the quality issues that almost every issued figure has had this year.

I'm glad for the leaks, I like knowing what's coming and what and how to plan for them.

Hasbro isn't going to amaze me with a special "reveal" on a made-up special event day, it's going to amaze me with a well done figure that going to be easily available.

Last edited by imfallenangel; 08-27-2021 at 03:41 PM.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
Some good points are made. Just wanted to know some other thoughts about the issue.
They don't hurt Hasbro. If they did, hasbro would do something about it, since money does talk. Instead it just creates excitement for the fans.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote