Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Deemar
Banned
Re: My daughter NEEDS a Cell Phone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETERUS PRIME View Post
I'll look into that, Thanks for bringing it up ! Got another question too. Obviously buying an unlocked phone on, say, ebay for example, there is no contract attached to the phone, but what other benefits are there to buying a phone with no contract ? I see some on there for rediculous prices !!! You still need to sign up for a plan in order to use an unlocked phone, don't you
This should be very simple to understand but the way the phone companies push their contracts it makes sense that most people don't know how it works. I wish they'd explain it better so people can make a more informed decision.

Basically this is exactly how it works. You go to a place like Telus, get a phone, get a monthly plan and you're done. If you sign a contract to stay their customer for a specified time period then they'll give you a discount on the phone. They way overcomplicate this.

The only reason to get a phone anywhere else is if:
a) Telus doesn't offer that phone
b) it's cheaper somewhere else
But if you do get one elsewhere you have to make sure it's unlocked because the firmware in the phones lock them to specific carriers. Also an unlocked phone may not get you all services on that network, like I've heard of people getting 1X but not getting EVDO access.

So that's it, when you sign a contract, you're not agreeing to keep that phone for 3 years. You are not agreeing to keep that plan for 3 years. You are only agreeing to be a customer of that phone company in some aspect for 3 years, on any plan you want to use with any phone you buy.

Lastly, contracts aren't attached to phones, they're attached to accounts. You can buy a phone anywhere you want, there's no fear of a contract being attached to it. The contract will stay with the name on the account that signed said contract.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.