Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

Thread: A pause?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Darkroar
Generation 2
Darkroar's Ebay Auctions
Re: A pause?

At this point the only things I'm possibly picking up are some of the updated Beast Wars characters in Legacy where they are better than what I currently have.

I've been collecting as an adult for a long time. In the past I completed a lot of lines (buying everything or nearly everything), but things have changed...

The newer figures are not always objectively better. I didn't replace Generations Rhinox and Waspinator with the Kingdom versions and don't plan on it. In most cases I'm content with my current version of figures and don't see them being replaced soon.

The figures are coming at higher prices and generally smaller sizes so you feel like you are getting less value. I've found other priorities in life - things where I feel I'm getting more value or sometimes even just saving for the future.

Space is another issue. A lot of my figures are in storage where I don't really get to appreciate them. In some cases the new version was better as well so I didn't even need the old one. I started selling a bit at a time a while back and I don't really enjoy selling them. As a result, I think hard about anything I pick up because I don't really want to spend time and effort selling it a while later.

Finally, I think there is a bit of burn out at this point. I have a ton of versions of many characters and frankly don't need another version, even if it's a tiny bit better.

I'll stay in the hobby and keep collecting Transformers, but at absolute most I see myself getting less than 10 figures a year. It's a big turn around from when I was buying entire lines. Collecting is a strange hobby, you feel like you got to get them all, but in time I've found I'm happier with a carefully culled collection of the things I really like/enjoy most.

Last edited by Darkroar; 10-25-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Darkroar is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.