Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Re: Collecting Dilemma...Where to go from here?

Yeah, as others have mentioned, it's something I think many collectors go through.

For me, right now, I'm in the process of reorganizing my shelves and deciding what to get rid of. I've also though about what the focus of my collection is. I've decided that with the price hikes in the main line toys, the Siege line will probably be the last one where I'll be buying most of the releases, because I figure I'll have most if not all the G1 cast, especially the more obscure character, in in Generation's form by then. Afterwards, I'm going to be a lot more picky about things and just cherry pick the best of what I like.

Probably go into update mode, where I'll only buy figures that are better updates to certain characters.

As for MPs, I was into the 3P stuff for a while, but it was expensive, so I was very selective in what I bought. And I always had it in my head that Has/Tak would eventually come out with a cheaper, more accurate version of the character anyway, so no need to be impatient for that class of figure.

But then MP Dinobot came out, and when I saw the pricetag, my arse puckered up but good. I couldn't justify that. And then the MP Beastwars Megatron came out and the new MP Prime. The prices for these things made it so all I could do was put up my hands and say NO. The official stuff is now WAAAY more expensive than the 3P stuff. For the price of that new MP Prime, I could buy two 3P Ultima Guards, a Metroplex-sized Omega Supreme.

The value just isn't there for me any longer. I mean these toys are supposed to be fun. Being scared of breaking a figure because it cost $500+ takes a lot of the fun out of it.
So I'm probably going to be turning my eye toward 3P to fill out my MP collection. But I'm not in any rush. Again, I'm going to be very picky, because honestly, there's always going to be the latest and greatest coming out, if not this year, the next.

It's a never ending cycle, so no need to worry about missing out on anything now days. I've gotten more than any 80's kid could have ever have imagined was possible already. Everything is now the cherry on top.

I think for me, the golden age of collecting is over. It's now a war for the resources of money, time, and space, where only the most fit will survive.

But maybe, one day, a figure will rise from the ranks to light my darkest hour and start things again. But we'll see.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.