Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Darkroar
Generation 2
Darkroar's Ebay Auctions
Re: Collecting Dilemma...Where to go from here?

I think what you describe is pretty typical/normal for long time collectors.

I started getting back into Transformers way back around Armada/Energon. I grew up in the 80's and my mind was blown when I saw they finally had made a Unicron. By the time Cybertron hit I was buying everything. Then I was buying all the MP's, lots of 3rd party, etc. I topped out around 1500 figures.

Along the way I started finding a lot of figures didn't hold my interest for long. I found I had other priorities for money as the hobby got more expensive. I also found I didn't really have the space for everything. I worried too about what I would do if I moved, I was spending too much time every time I wanted to reorganize my space.

I took a step back and look at what I really wanted out of my collection. The answer to that is different for every collector. I decided to start selling off a lot of my collection and it's been a slow ongoing process. It's helped me put in perspective figures I buy - I try to imagine the future of that figure. If I can see myself losing interest and it ending up in storage and later being sold I just save myself the hassle and don't buy it. If I don't see that and legitimately feel I'll enjoy having the figure I pick it up.

I try and set rules of what I'm collecting, but the rules seem to always shift, but I come close to following them.

Right now my displayed collection is mostly Decepticons - CHUG, MPs, G1 and Beast Wars show characters. I sub out original Beast Wars for modern figures (MPs/CHUG) when they come out. I also have a specific Beast Wars Megatron collection displayed as well. There are some other odds and ends, but that's the just of it.

As I started selling, I found parting with some figures easier than others. If I'm in doubt I try to hold off on selling those ones, but once I get over the doubt I haven't had any regrets. Having less stuff somehow frees you and it's also nice to have some extra space - even if you just spread your collection out better.

I guess my point is you don't have to give it all up; you can try to focus your collection on what gives you the most enjoyment rather than the "catch 'em all" mentality.
Darkroar is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.