Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #15
DestronDecepticon23
Generation 2
Re: **SPOILERS** - Netflix Kingdom, your thoughts?

I didn't downright despise this part of the trilogy but certainly did not really get anything out of it either. I just think it's really sad that the first time we revisit BW character in full force that we got what we got... Many of the voices just did not fit... if getting the originals was off the table I wish they would have at least tried to go for impressionists. I suppose Blackarachnia while sounding different probably sounded the best to me since that kind of voice does feel like it could be a version of her. It differs but somehow feels like it respects the character. I think probably the worst offenders were Megatron and Primal... they just deserved better casting. Guess that's all to say too that I don't have issues with the voice actors themselves but more like the production and direction decisions that were made for these characters. Like I felt Dinobot's VA gave a good performance, but the voice itself just didn't seem to match the character that much to me. It's definitely a subjective opinion though.

Kind of just wish we had actually started the Beast stuff back in Earthrise just because we would have had more time to develop characters and Earthrise as a whole just feels a lot more filler-y now. Also feel like when we get to see characters for the first time again, they don't need to slavishly repeat the things they once did before. I feel they didn't need to repeat Dinobot's arc beat for beat. Felt like his heroic sacrifice didn't serve the same function it did in BW. This version of him was just introduced an in the span of a few eps dies off... don't feel like there's a reason to care for him to the extent of the original. Like he just seems like another casualty of the show. Don't think it was necessary for him to almost repeat word for word his little speech and even have a VERY similar scene with the Maximals as he dies. If they were to do something outright slavishly fanservice-y would have liked it if they had worked in the original transformation sounds for the Predacons and Maximals... just felt kinda weird that they had the G1 sounds for their transformations. Also just not a big fan of Elita and co's offscreen fates...

I guess out of the things I did like, the series as a whole sort of built on this but I enjoyed how Prime wasn't portrayed as this paragon of flawlessness. It's just sort of refreshing for once to have him feel more human in that respect. Think it was really cool that he somehow got reformatted along with Megatron into Nemesis Prime by Unicron. Always find it interesting when Nemesis Prime in fiction has ties to Unicron. Now I suppose the question is was he truly antagonistic on his own as a result of this actions or was it due to Unicron's influence? Not sure how likely we are to get another season but I do like the idea at the end that Galvatron and Nemesis get reformatted once again. If we ever get to see what the results were, I'd LOVE to see absolutely new characters added to the franchise or at least drastically different designs for them. Think it was really cool how Starscream had a conversation with Unicron too and kind of went a little mad as a result. At the end of the series couldn't help but wonder what it would be like had Starscream been reformatted. Think another nice thing to note was that a lot of the backgrounds of this show were done quite nicely as well as a bunch of the environments and lighting effects. Would love to see a fully realized BW show with those elements at least.

Guess as a whole The WFC Trilogy had some interesting ideas here and there but I think ultimately it'll just be one of those series that aren't memorable and do not get revisited very much (Once again, mileage may vary). Hope whatever comes in the future will actually add to TF lore as a whole and gives us some cool new ideas.

Current Hunt:
Breakdown
Twincast
DestronDecepticon23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.