Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #154
The Nemesis
Alternator
Re: The Transformers VENTING Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I wish the Binaltech line was still alive.

I kind of get why it's not. I imagine those specific-vehicle real-world licensing deals are picky and difficult to do. Especially when so many of the European brands were so hesitant to get involved either for pride reasons (Ferrari/Lamborghini not wanting to "stoop" to licensing their luxurious likenesses out for silly toy robots) or dubious ethical aversions (Porsche or, for a long time until right around the Bumblebee movie, Volkswagen being skittish that associating with 'war toys' might bring up the uncomfortable fact that the brands had Nazi ties in WWII).

and we know that given how much Transformers fans tend to detest change or undue alteration in any form, so you could imagine how well it would go when more characters with iconic real world car equivalent alt modes in G1 get totally different modes for Binaltech.

"What? Hubcap is being done as a Prius coupe instead of a Porsche? BLASPHEMY! The gall to disrespect the legacy of Hubcap in such a blatant fashion! Transformers is ruined FOREVER!"

I already recall people kvetching about Sideswipe and Sunstreaker being Vipers instead of Lambos.

Also I kind of feel like maybe they hit a wall when they started releasing repaints as different characters ("It's actually Dead End! It only looks like Sunstreaker!") and random character choices that have no affiliation with commercially available vehicle alt modes (Grimlock, Ravage, Optimus Prime, etc). When they dipped from there into the deep well of C-listers like Swerve and freakin' Camshaft, I have strong suspicions that things were not in the best place for that line.

Transformers Shopping

Donate to Cybertron.ca
Donations keep this site running, thanks for your support. More details here.